How to choose speakers for HT?

Kowju's

Hello Friends please guide me and give the right inputs to choose the right speakers.!!

I heard that Speakers ''Sensitivity'' and "Crossover Frequency" matters a lot!! isn't it?

I went through some videos and knew that.. 89-93 Db sensitivity is the right sensitivity for a good speaker. But many best speakers chosen by Audio experts are about 86-89 Sensitivity.
Does Sensitivity really matters???
Do low-sensitivity speakers harm AVR?
Do 4 Ohm Speakers have low resistance and harm AVR?

Hello Friends please guide me and give the right inputs to choose the right speakers.!!

I heard that Speakers ''Sensitivity'' and "Crossover Frequency" matters a lot!! isn't it?

I went through some videos and knew that.. 89-93 Db sensitivity is the right sensitivity for a good speaker. But many best speakers chosen by Audio experts are about 86-89 Sensitivity.
Do 4 Ohm Speakers have low resistance and harm AVR?
Hi,

What you heard and read is correct. Check the specs of avr or amp as some models or brands are real fussy when it comes to handling 4 ohms etc.

Audition systems with dealers as much as you can so you understand better and then can decide which one to buy

Sensitivity is the volume at 1m with 1w of power. A lower sensitivity means you need to increase the volume to hear the same on a low sensitivity speaker vs high sensitivity one. Good speakers have lower sensitivity as that leads to more control in sound output.

It does. If your AVR is Marantz NR1510 with 50w per channel, it will find it hard to drive a speaker with low sensitivity, like Elac etc.

A speaker with lower sensitivity needs a more powerful amplifier. It doesn't harm the amplifier.

I would like to add a clarification request related to sensitivity and load...
When we have one 8 Ohms driver as TM build and other box from same make with TMM/MTM setup using 16 Ohms + 16 Ohms drivers in parallel bringing to 8 Ohms (both holding same 1" Tweeter). in such scenarios, does both boxes hold same load on AVR, which one will be best and recommended.

Last edited:
Sensitivity is the volume at 1m with 1w of power. A lower sensitivity means you need to increase the volume to hear the same on a low sensitivity speaker vs high sensitivity one. Good speakers have lower sensitivity as that leads to more control in sound output.

It does. If your AVR is Marantz NR1510 with 50w per channel, it will find it hard to drive a speaker with low sensitivity, like Elac etc.

A speaker with lower sensitivity needs a more powerful amplifier. It doesn't harm the amplifier.
Got it.. but need more clarity.

Hi,

What you heard and read is correct. Check the specs of avr or amp as some models or brands are real fussy when it comes to handling 4 ohms etc.

Audition systems with dealers as much as you can so you understand better and then can decide which one to buy
Thankyou friend

Do High Sensitivity speakers have distortion issues??

I would like to add a clarification request related to sensitivity and load...
When we have one 8 Ohms driver as TM build and other box from same make with MTM setup using 16 Ohms + 16 Ohms drivers in parallel bringing to 8 Ohms (both holding same 1" Tweeter). in such scenarios, does both boxes hold same load on AVR, which one will be best and recommended.
Gimme clarity about TM and MTM bro..

Higher sensitivity is better, always.

Lower impedance speakers require more current and are harder on the amplifier, most AVRs are made for 6-8ohms, some amps can handle 2 ohms.

For HT you probably want a speaker that has more HF than for music. SPL capacity is important for all speakers dependent on taste. For HT many times people prefer a dynamic sound so dynamic capability is important, both in speaker and amplifier.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back