How to choose the right speakers, part one: research

Thanks newlash09. Will PM you my hall pic just to avoid moderator jumping in:p. Hope I'm not bugging you.

Haha...dinesh...no probs. Please send me a PM. And also may I point it out that audio is a very passionate hobby. And once you ask forum members to lend you some kit to try out. They are usually more benevolent than god. None of us want you to make the costly mistakes we made :)

And sorry to OP for hijacking this thread

Haha...dinesh...no probs. Please send me a PM. And also may I point it out that audio is a very passionate hobby. And once you ask forum members to lend you some kit to try out. They are usually more benevolent than god. None of us want you to make the costly mistakes we made :)

And sorry to OP for hijacking this thread
True. It's a passionate hobby. I'm more of a headphone guy. Even I have lost a lot on headphones purchase without knowing what I need. Lessons learnt. I don't want to repeat that mistake again.

If someone doesn't want to end up in my position with speakers too big for one's room.

1. Then choose the right speakers for the room and their intended placement. Consider front , bottom, rear ported and sealed designs. Sealed designs will always usually work best, but are very inefficient, and will need a powerful amp to drive them.

2. Floor standers vs bookshelf : floor standers are not the solution for every room. For the same floor space book shelves usually are easier to tame in a small or less than ideal room configuration. Book shelves usually have less bass extension than floor standers. If more bass presence is sought, it is better to add a sub later to book shelves. But once we go with floor standers , we cannot substract the bass. So whenever in doubt, start with a smaller speaker than start with a bigger one.

3. Depending on what speakers have been choosen and their efficiency . Then an amp can be decided next to drive these speakers. Quality watts are more important than out right brute power. There are known combinations of speakers + amps that work. So this will give us a rough idea about the amps to consider.

Well I didn't follow rule nos 1&2. So I have these huge speakers with too much bass in my small room. And now iam forced to consider room treatment and dirac room correction. Both additional investments I didn't originally budget for :)

All good points!!!

Especially the point about using a BS instead of FS in smaller rooms.

It's tough fighting surplus bass but easier to try increase bass.

Hi Hari,
Just out of curiosity, want you to review the below review by stereophile and specially the summation at the end of page-2. Since I have the same speaker and I found this review after buying the same , I seriously had the doubt for genuine-ness of the article, but today scene is different with the speakers- Later on I will contribute to this thread by sharing speaker hunting experience

https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/408psb/index.html

PSB Synchrony one is a good speaker. I myself read the stereophile reviews almost daily especially the objective measurements to learn and discover how a very good sounding loudspeakers measure. This is part of my hobby.

If someone doesn't want to end up in my position with speakers too big for one's room.

1. Then choose the right speakers for the room and their intended placement. Consider front , bottom, rear ported and sealed designs. Sealed designs will always usually work best, but are very inefficient, and will need a powerful amp to drive them.

2. Floor standers vs bookshelf : floor standers are not the solution for every room. For the same floor space book shelves usually are easier to tame in a small or less than ideal room configuration. Book shelves usually have less bass extension than floor standers. If more bass presence is sought, it is better to add a sub later to book shelves. But once we go with floor standers , we cannot substract the bass. So whenever in doubt, start with a smaller speaker than start with a bigger one.

3. Depending on what speakers have been choosen and their efficiency . Then an amp can be decided next to drive these speakers. Quality watts are more important than out right brute power. There are known combinations of speakers + amps that work. So this will give us a rough idea about the amps to consider.

Well I didn't follow rule nos 1&2. So I have these huge speakers with too much bass in my small room. And now iam forced to consider room treatment and dirac room correction. Both additional investments I didn't originally budget for :)

I have a slightly different take on this. Room size and speaker size are not inter dependent. It boils down to how much energy any given speaker delivers into the room is what makes the difference. You can have large a large room and still use bookshelf speakers to deliver and the same goes the other way. Room treatment goes hand in hand with proper positioning of speakers, which includes the regular furniture and furnishing that i assume everyone has. Any speaker will misbehave in an open spacious room with hard surfaces. Also openings such as windows/doors need to be considered for systems to sound coherent. Integrating a subwoofer is a massive pain, although it does give you the added advantage of controlling levels and placement.

I have a slightly different take on this. Room size and speaker size are not inter dependent. It boils down to how much energy any given speaker delivers into the room is what makes the difference. You can have large a large room and still use bookshelf speakers to deliver and the same goes the other way. Room treatment goes hand in hand with proper positioning of speakers, which includes the regular furniture and furnishing that i assume everyone has. Any speaker will misbehave in an open spacious room with hard surfaces. Also openings such as windows/doors need to be considered for systems to sound coherent. Integrating a subwoofer is a massive pain, although it does give you the added advantage of controlling levels and placement.

Thanks tuff..i will agree with your post. No one way to get things right in this hobby.

Though the review speaks about speaker, amps, placements and room size, I have heard setups where just a single cable is more expensive than my entire setup. Well they say that the source quality and synergy within the chain is more critical than the individual component. From my experience the speaker is the most critical in the chain as that is what we listen to.

when we audition speakers, partnering equipment plays crucial role IMO.
I have auditioned nearly 12 speaker brands and the most dull sounding speaker i bought.
The reason behind dull was the amp with , it was played.
Why did i chose those speakers- only speakers giving me the feeling of live music and I could feel the vibration of the instrument.
Because i knew that,these are power hungry speakers and would require high current power amp, so took the risk and Now i am happy with the decision.
All other speakers I have auditioned were better sounding than PSB synchrony at the time of audition , because of better partnering amps.

So as per my experince , first identify your preference in sound- like -vocals, dynamics, mid range or how particular instrument should sound.
This helps in narrow down your speaker search.

setup that you heard in showroom, might sound different in your home.I have heard floorstandars in very small room , without any boominess. so it all depends.
there is no right or wrong in audio, only thing matters is, what floats your boat.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back