how to connect a amplifier

Maint1234

So I have never bought a amplifier before. Just bought a el cheapo local amplifier for a legacy system , who's player went bust.
Need help in getting the most out of it.
2 old passive speakers with 3 drivers in each. With inbuilt crossover cards.
The new amplifier has a total of 2 output channels . Its written 4 way speaker next to them.
Assuming that impedance is not a issue, what's the best way to connect to get the most out of the above.
I am just looking for a stereo effect.
I have connected one speaker to the left and the 2nd to the right channel but on testing with a stereo test video on YouTube, both speakers seem to be constantly transmitting sound. It's as if it's a parallel connection.
My understanding is that in the stereo test , the speakers should changeover or at least carry different sounds.
Not really getting a stereo effect like you get in a earphone.

The 'four way speaker' is a misnomer.

Only way to connect is to use a speaker cable and connect the +ve to the +ve terminals and -ve to the -ve terminals on both ends (speaker and amplifier).

Look for +ve and -ve markers at both ends and connect the speakers to the amp appropriately. That is all you have to and can do.

If you are not getting a stereo sound, play some other song and see. Not all songs give you a clear stereo effect. If you get the vocals between the speakers, the stereo is in effect.

Cheers.

The 'four way speaker' is a misnomer.

Only way to connect is to use a speaker cable and connect the +ve to the +ve terminals and -ve to the -ve terminals on both ends (speaker and amplifier).

Look for +ve and -ve markers at both ends and connect the speakers to the amp appropriately. That is all you have to and can do.

If you are not getting a stereo sound, play some other song and see. Not all songs give you a clear stereo effect. If you get the vocals between the speakers, the stereo is in effect.

Cheers.
thanks. I am getting quite a excellent sound quality. since I have nothing to compare with , I am pretty satisfied.
I have connected one speaker to the left terminal and the other to the right terminal.
why are their 4 instead of just 2 sets of terminals ?
At the moment one each terminal in left and right are unused.

As I said, each side has two terminal points - one +ve, one -ve. You have to use a two core speaker cable for each side. One core is connected to the +ve terminal and the other to the -ve terminal. This is repeated on each side. See the image below.

Speaker_Connection.jpg

It seems to me that there are two left outs and two right outs. OP should be able to connect two speakers to left and 2 speakers to right.

I don't see any utility of this in a single room setup, but if you wanted to run a multi-room setup or an outdoor setup, that could come in handy.

Just for my curiosity, could you please post a link to the amp, if you bought online.

It seems to me that there are two left outs and two right outs. OP should be able to connect two speakers to left and 2 speakers to right.

I don't see any utility of this in a single room setup, but if you wanted to run a multi-room setup or an outdoor setup, that could come in handy.

Just for my curiosity, could you please post a link to the amp, if you bought online.
Ok. Now I understand. Yes, you can connect two speakers to the left and two to the right. At the same time, you can connect just one set of speakers.

Cheers

probably get banned from this forum for using a Rs 2500 Indian amplifier but if you are curious it's a medha 500 w ! , bought from Amazon.
Built quality is below average but the sound quality when connected via bluetooth to my mobile is pretty good. Use will be old hindi songs and ghazals.
Strangely bluetooth sound is better than the direct optical connection through a adapter, to tv and fire stick.
For wired connection treble and bass has to be adjusted but through bluetooth it seems to manage somehow. Maybe I found a sweet spot by chance.
It's in my parents bedroom and usage will be very sporadic.
Volume has to be kept below 15 % . Very loud.
And now I am getting stereo effect, depended on the song it seems.
Its replaced a 20 year old Philip's system, nothing fancy, which couldn't be repaired.

As long as you are enjoying the equipment, all is fine. Many of us are on a path of self destruction, trying to get better and better sound. At the end of the day, it just kills your purse, and leaves you wondering what you are doing.

Remember the laws of diminishing returns.

Cheers

Well said @venkatcr

I too think it's important to get something you can afford and enjoy and just enjoy it rather than always chasing something better. There's no end to it otherwise. I mean, in this very forum there are people who have bought cables more expensive than my entire home theater setup. Majority can't afford that kind of luxury anyway.

thanks all.
One more query from a newbie- the amplifier has the knobs for setting the bass and tone.
So fiddling with them the sound changes dramatically for different genres of songs.
Any way to set them , so that no constant fiddling is required ?
I am pretty happy with my purchase but I like tinkering.

Well, a manual knob is just that - manual. It stays in the position you set it. Keep your itchy fingers away. That is the ONLY way to not fiddle with them. Keep the knobs in nuetral losition, and listen to the natural sound of the music.

Well, a manual knob is just that - manual. It stays in the position you set it. Keep your itchy fingers away. That is the ONLY way to not fiddle with them. Keep the knobs in nuetral losition, and listen to the natural sound of the music.
neutral setting is considered optimum ?

It's very subjective really. You have to discover your own liking. Start from neutral and see if tweaking the settings makes it sound better to you. If it does, then retain that setting. If not, then return to the original.

What others do or do not consider best doesn't really matter as long as you like the sound.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back