How to connect a laptop/PC to a HTiB ?

ash147

Can someone pls guide me how do I connect my laptop to my 5.1 HTiB? Is it possible to connect one afterall ? If yes pls guide me about the cables to be used while connecting.Thanks in advance.

Can someone pls guide me how do I connect my laptop to my 5.1 HTiB? Is it possible to connect one afterall ? If yes pls guide me about the cables to be used while connecting.Thanks in advance.

you can use the line out (3.5mm stereo to RCA R/L cable) from PC to HTiB analog in (R/L - white red analog terminals at the back).

Also if you invest in a cheap decent external USB soundcard (asus etc) - you can use optical (toshlink optical converter + optical cable) to connect to optical in of the HTiB. In that case the HTiB can process AC3 D5.1/DTS audio (most support that). But please check if there is an optical/coaxial digital in on the bakc of your HTib.

BTW what are the specs of your HTiB

you can use the line out (3.5mm stereo to RCA R/L cable) from PC to HTiB analog in (R/L - white red analog terminals at the back).

Also if you invest in a cheap decent external USB soundcard (asus etc) - you can use optical (toshlink optical converter + optical cable) to connect to optical in of the HTiB. In that case the HTiB can process AC3 D5.1/DTS audio (most support that). But please check if there is an optical/coaxial digital in on the bakc of your HTib.

BTW what are the specs of your HTiB

I have quoted the reqd specs of my AVR below.Something more which u want 2 know pls tell me.Also pls tell me where in the PC will I have to insert 3.5mm stereo to RCA R/L cable ? I mean the end which goes in the PC will go in which port?

VIDEO SECTION

Input Sensitivity/Output
Level and Impedance 1 Vp-p /75? (Component)
0.7 Vp-p /75? (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p /75?(Composite)
Component Video
Frequency Response 5 Hz50 MHz

VIDEO INPUTS

Component DVD, VIDEO1, VIDEO2
Composite DVD, VIDEO1, VIDEO2, VIDEO3

VIDEO OUTPUTS

Component MONITOR
Composite MONITOR, VIDEO1

AUDIO INPUTS

Digital Inputs Optical: 2
Coaxial: 1
Analog Inputs DVD (MULTICHANNEL),VIDEO1,
VIDEO2,VIDEO3,TAPE,CD
Multichannel Inputs 6

AUDIO OUTPUTS
Analog Outputs TAPE,VIDEO1
Speaker Outputs SP-A (FL, FR, C, SL, SR, SW) +
SP-B (L, R)
Phones 1

I have quoted the reqd specs of my AVR below.Something more which u want 2 know pls tell me.Also pls tell me where in the PC will I have to insert 3.5mm stereo to RCA R/L cable ? I mean the end which goes in the PC will go in which port?

VIDEO SECTION

Input Sensitivity/Output
Level and Impedance 1 Vp-p /75? (Component)
0.7 Vp-p /75? (Component PB/CB, PR/CR)
1 Vp-p /75?(Composite)
Component Video
Frequency Response 5 Hz50 MHz

VIDEO INPUTS

Component DVD, VIDEO1, VIDEO2
Composite DVD, VIDEO1, VIDEO2, VIDEO3

VIDEO OUTPUTS

Component MONITOR
Composite MONITOR, VIDEO1

AUDIO INPUTS

Digital Inputs Optical: 2
Coaxial: 1
Analog Inputs DVD (MULTICHANNEL),VIDEO1,
VIDEO2,VIDEO3,TAPE,CD
Multichannel Inputs 6

AUDIO OUTPUTS
Analog Outputs TAPE,VIDEO1
Speaker Outputs SP-A (FL, FR, C, SL, SR, SW) +
SP-B (L, R)
Phones 1

to the line out/audio out of the lapto - on the side or the front/ There will be 2 ports one line out, one mic in.

If you buy an external soundcard - you can use coaxial or optical output from laptop to receiver thereby getting dolby 5.1/DTS sound. Stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable will accommodate stereo sound only.

Try these.

transit_callout.jpg

M-AUDIO - Transit - Hi-Resolution Mobile Audio Interface

crea_2.jpg

Creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Sound Card - Get more out of your music and movies

The laptop/PC can be connected to the USB and the digital optical output to your avr. Both supports multi-channel pass-through. Your avr can process it from here on.

Cheers.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad R60.

If this is your laptop Lenovo ThinkPad R60 Laptop | Laptop.Views

Tehn check on the right hand side - there should be two ports - one microphone and one audio/line out (red/blue/green/yellow just check it out). You can use a 3.mm stereo to RCA wire to connect to analog ins of your avr.

Alternately for DTS AC3 D5.1 you can use an external soundcard

Do what he says as there is no digital out...i was hoping to find a Optical/Coax or HDMi port but its not there

Whoaa, this is great, I never thought of it and all these time I was thinking about buying a WDTV. So instead I can buy a soundcard for my laptop and can still enjoy 5.1 surround. Right?
But can anyone tell me about the picture quality? I'm using a Compaq Presario laptop and to my eyes the output does look good for good quality video's even if I'm using the TV as a monitor (using the VGA/XGA) connection. I presume that picture quality through the HDMI output of WDTV will be much better than this setup? Am I right? Or is there anything I can do (read- upgrade) with my lappy to get HDMI output or something like that?
Today I've watched "300" with this setup and stereo output from the headphone jack of my lappy and I actually liked the picture (or probably because there was no option to compare with).
So should I go for WD TV or can I use my laptop (with some upgrades but as it;s a laptop, the options will be limited)?

Whoaa, this is great, I never thought of it and all these time I was thinking about buying a WDTV. So instead I can buy a soundcard for my laptop and can still enjoy 5.1 surround. Right?
But can anyone tell me about the picture quality? I'm using a Compaq Presario laptop and to my eyes the output does look good for good quality video's even if I'm using the TV as a monitor (using the VGA/XGA) connection. I presume that picture quality through the HDMI output of WDTV will be much better than this setup? Am I right? Or is there anything I can do (read- upgrade) with my lappy to get HDMI output or something like that?
Today I've watched "300" with this setup and stereo output from the headphone jack of my lappy and I actually liked the picture (or probably because there was no option to compare with).
So should I go for WD TV or can I use my laptop (with some upgrades but as it;s a laptop, the options will be limited)?

Hi! I have been using my mobile workstation (laptop) for playing HD MKV movies through my Sony LCD. I did that for about 10 months. It has Nvidia graphic card and DVI/ Co-axial out etc. I was very happy with PQ and 5.1 surround sound.

But the moment I connected my Elektron (similar to WDTV) media player, the picture quality was approx 25% better! Sound was 50% better!!
I have never gone back to laptop for watching movies.

Conclusion: Unless you have high end graphic and sound card, the PQ/ SQ will be severely compromised. You will not realize unless you see something better!

WDTV/ NMT players takes care of this issue.

True, specially for dark scenes my laptop's graphic card is grossly inadequate. There is just no detail in the dark scenes. I checked this by playing Angels and Demon's via Laptop and via Pioneer 600AV. Pio is significantly better. But I'm using the VGA connection from my lappy so may be a better graphics card with HDMI o/p will be at par. For the sound if I don't use any processing at the laptop and let the AVR (not yet bought he he) do the magic then that'll be better or at par with WDTV I guess. am I right? I'm just trying to get all the comparo done before I take the plunge.

True, specially for dark scenes my laptop's graphic card is grossly inadequate. There is just no detail in the dark scenes. I checked this by playing Angels and Demon's via Laptop and via Pioneer 600AV. Pio is significantly better. But I'm using the VGA connection from my lappy so may be a better graphics card with HDMI o/p will be at par. For the sound if I don't use any processing at the laptop and let the AVR (not yet bought he he) do the magic then that'll be better or at par with WDTV I guess. am I right? I'm just trying to get all the comparo done before I take the plunge.

bro do not blame the Laptop and the generic graphics card - blame the SW as well. A HTPC setup and calibration is not as easy as poppign a disc into a DVD payer and bingo !!!!

Use ffshow coupled wit MPC-HC - set how MPCHC renders video - there are tons of calibrations etc.

And yes I agree though in some case the HDMI cables gives better colours if not greater detail

+1.
About the sound from laptop, I have tried DTS/ AC3 pass through.
But WDTV still sounds significantly better.

Last edited:
Hi! I have been using my mobile workstation (laptop) for playing HD MKV movies through my Sony LCD. I did that for about 10 months. It has Nvidia graphic card and DVI/ Co-axial out etc. I was very happy with PQ and 5.1 surround sound.

But the moment I connected my Elektron (similar to WDTV) media player, the picture quality was approx 25% better! Sound was 50% better!!
I have never gone back to laptop for watching movies.

Conclusion: Unless you have high end graphic and sound card, the PQ/ SQ will be severely compromised. You will not realize unless you see something better!

WDTV/ NMT players takes care of this issue.

I would agree with you regarding the music/sound aspect. Without a dedicated sound card, output is going to be nowhere near the WDTV type devices.

But I dont see why picture quality cannot compete. What video player are you using to play your video files? TheKMPlayer and Videolan Player are very highly recommended tools and both do an excellent job without you having to hunt and install relevant codecs.

I would agree with you regarding the music/sound aspect. Without a dedicated sound card, output is going to be nowhere near the WDTV type devices.

But I dont see why picture quality cannot compete. What video player are you using to play your video files? TheKMPlayer and Videolan Player are very highly recommended tools and both do an excellent job without you having to hunt and install relevant codecs.

KMP+Haali+CoreAVC. I have tried many players/ codecs including ffdshow.
The PQ does not have the depth and clarity like in NMT/ WDTV.
The difference is overwhelming. Graphic card is the culprit.
On my friend's PC with same SW/settings, but a better Asus graphic card (don't remember the model now) was giving better results on par with WDTV.

Last edited:
KMP+Haali+CoreAVC. I have tried many players/ codecs including ffdshow.
The PQ does not have the depth and clarity like in NMT/ WDTV.
The difference is overwhelming. Graphic card is the culprit.
On my friend's PC with same SW/settings, but a better Asus graphic card (don't remember the model now) was giving better results on par with WDTV.

MPC-HC + default DXVA = Okay PQ
MPC-HC + HALI + core AVC = acceptable PQ
MPC-HC + ffdshow (customization galore) = best PQ

see the problem is the setup and unlike WD TV that limites customization - a HTPC gives you options galore. I do not use a external graphics card but the 8300 on the m3n78em using the HDMI out - and I have blind tests using ps2/ps3, HTPC as well as a laptop.

While the default config laptop and ps2 give subpar/just about acceptable PQ the HTPC sometimes far outscores the quality iof the NMTs. I have seen the TVIX in action(which IMHO is better than WDTV and the rest in playback) and yes they make the images sharp (HTPC can do with proper settings) blind tests with the same files failed to identify the source most of the times.

Back