How to connect a pair of bookshelf to AVR and also to a STERIO AMP?

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

Is there an easy way to connect an AVR and a STERIO AMP to a single pair of speakers, without manually removing and attaching the speaker cables every time.

Can anyone suggest if there is some kind of toggle switch etc please ?

Thank you.

thanks a lot !!!
I am looking for something like a speaker switch.
Its a good link you helped me with !!

Hello All,

Is there an easy way to connect an AVR and a STERIO AMP to a single pair of speakers, without manually removing and attaching the speaker cables every time.

Can anyone suggest if there is some kind of toggle switch etc please ?

Thank you.
Connect front pre out to an input on the stereo Amp. If stereo Amp has separated pre and main sections then connect the pre out to the mains in. If not to any other input except phono or tape loops.

You will have to do volume balancing before you do the auto setup in the receiver. Ideally set the stereo Amp at 50% fine tune from that point. Aim is to make sure there is no distortion or clipping at the loudest volume you would normally play your receiver at. It would need some patience and trials.

This is the cheapest way to do it, without adding another component to the chain.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

No switches etc required if u r willing to be very careful.

That's my Dali bookshelf. The banana plugs go to my marantz AVR and the regular post below the banana plugs go into my sansui stereo amp. No issues.

The avr and stereo amp are connected to separate power points hence they cannot be switched on at the same time. That's all u have to be careful of.
34765a8d87783881779859a9a7bf281f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

"The banana plugs go to my marantz AVR and the regular post below the banana plugs go into my sansui stereo amp. No issues. "

This means that the amplifier which is actively driving the speaker is also driving the switched off amplifier? This doesn't sound right. Although the impendence of the speaker is likely lower than the switched off amplifier, there will be some power leaked to the amplifier's output stage which may damage it.

Consider the use of a switch e.g. Niles Audio dps1

Thanks for that, so u mean the current is flowing from the speaker to the amp that's off? I thought that current flows from amp to speaker, I could be wrong?

"Thanks for that, so u mean the current is flowing from the speaker to the amp that's off"

I meant that current is flowing from the amplifier which is "on", to both the speaker and amplifier which is "off".

Please explain how, because the amps are not connected.

Ex. Marantz is on, current flows from marantz to Dali. How does current flow to the other amp which is a Sansui?

Please explain how, because the amps are not connected.

Ex. Marantz is on, current flows from marantz to Dali. How does current flow to the other amp which is a Sansui?

Current can flow anywhere provided circuit is complete. I don't think circuit is complete in the sansui amp when it is switched off, as the+ and - poles must be disconnected there.

"Marantz is on, current flows from marantz to Dali. How does current flow to the other amp which is a Sansui? "

If I understood correctly, both the amplifier outputs are always connected to the Dali speaker. In other words the amps are connected in "parallel". If that's the case, current can flow from one amp's output stage to the other.

@zeta, like I mentioned, the Sansui and the marantz are connected to different wall sockets ie separate power points. If the Sansui is not on, how can the current go from the marantz to Dali to Sansui?

Yes both the amp outs are connected to the Dali. However one amp is on the other amp is off. No power. Main switch off.

I can't simplify further than this.

"Yes both the amp outs are connected to the Dali. However one amp is on the other amp is off. No power. Main switch off."

If Marantz is on, the Marantz drives a combination of the DALI speaker and the OUTPUT stage of the Sansui amplifier.

so what u r saying is the marantz, through the Dali speakers drives the Sansui output stage? That means, current flows from the Dali speakers to the output of the Sansui? I don't think that's possible.

I still don't see any valid argument, just speculations and theories as to why what I am doin is wrong or could damage either speaker or amp. I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong. Always open to learning. But with facts. Not theories or assumptions.

While you are driving speakers from AVR or stereo Amp check voltage with multimeter at the speaker out terminal of AVR/stereo Amp which is in power off state, you will know if current is following or not.

If your Amp/AVR has relay based speakers protection then there is no problem of spoiling AVR/Amp circuit, however if it doesn't has such relay based speaker protection then I think it might do harm from the reverse current from the driving Amp.

Regards
Bilal

If there is relay-based speaker protection in the amp, then the switched-off amp will just appear as an "open circuit" to the other amp, hence no current would flow. I dont think there is any problem provided there is a relay at the amp output stage.

Hi Naveen , I have a similar set up as yours... My power amps have two different inputs Balanced and RCA. There is also a built in toggle switch in the power amp so depending on the source i.e stereo or AV i choose the input via the toggle switch. Also the advantage in this case is i don't have to power on my pre when I'm using the floor-standers and the power along with the AVR for my movie watching experience. Earlier i used to have an Accuphase pre power set up and in that case too the pre used to switched off since the power had balanced and RCA inputs along with a toggle switch to select the input.
Cheers!
Anand
STEREO: Transrotor zet 1 TT, Transrotor 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge, MSB Platinum iv DAC, MSB DATA TRANSPORT iv CD transport, Electrocompaniet PC -1 CD player, mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers, Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects, Transparent audio premium USB cable, Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Mac book air with Roon, Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor standers, Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panels, Stillpoints Ultra mini isolators, Blue jeans CAT6a cables. Transparent Audio Power isolators mm2.

HT1: Optoma HD 82 projector, I box media player, Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver, B & W center & DALI surrounds, REL T5 subwoofer.

HT2: Panasonic 42' Plasma, Monitor audio Radius R250 center and front speakers, Radius R90 surrounds and radius R360 subwoofer. Dune media player and pioneer BDP 140 blu ray player.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back