How to connect Laptop to AVR?

chella

Friends,

One more Q from me.

Can I connect my Laptop headphone out to my AVR?
Do I need any spl cable for this?

I just want to play some music files from my Laptop to HT..

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,
Chella

Raman and Prakash,

Thx 4 your replies.
I am looking for a option(like xternal sound card) with Digital out. My laptop is Sony VAIO with Vista Home OS with Xpress card slot. I can coonect it to my AVR If I have some external sound card with Digi out.Can I get such xternal card in India.Any brand name please?

Thanks,
Chella

Hi
I would like to withdraw my reply, since I didn't read the post carefully. S-video carries only video signals..

Please excuse.

Regards
Raman

Raman and Prakash,

Thx 4 your replies.
I am looking for a option(like xternal sound card) with Digital out. My laptop is Sony VAIO with Vista Home OS with Xpress card slot. I can coonect it to my AVR If I have some external sound card with Digi out.Can I get such xternal card in India.Any brand name please?

Thanks,
Chella

Prakasse's reply is the most apt solution. Even I used to connect my Audigy 2 card to my amplr. Just curious, why do you need an external SC. The laptop will have a preamplr. Use the cable to out your signals to the AVR. Creative has external sound cards.

Creative Sound Blaster - Sound cards for gaming, movies and music listening

I want to listen Dolby/DTS music from my AVR.That why I want to buy a external soundcard with Digiout. btw Can I achieve this If I connect it via Stereo 2 RCA Y-adapter cable like Prakasse said?

Can I get this cable in Banaglore?

I want to listen Dolby/DTS music from my AVR.That why I want to buy a external soundcard with Digiout. btw Can I achieve this If I connect it via Stereo 2 RCA Y-adapter cable like Prakasse said?

Simple thing is to get pioneer dv610 and connect to your AVR.(around 6.5k) and start enjoying yourself.

Thanks,
Prakash

prakasse,

I have Oppo 980 for DVD and CD playback. I just want to try my Laptop as a one more source with AVR for Music(I have Ipod also).So that Stereo 2 RCA cable connection will do this?

Cheers,
Chella

Yes you can get this cable from any electrical/electronics hardware shop. But this setup will only allow stereo setup. If you intend to listen to 5.1 format, u would need digi out from the sound card to feed the AVR via optical/spdif or 3 stereo to RCA cables.

Hi Folks, I have a Dell XPS M1330 which has VGA and HDMI outputs. I bought a VGA to SVideo/AV cable so that I can connect this on my CRT (which only has SVideo or AV input). But when I tried this, it doesnt work, does any one know what could be the problem?

I earlier was successful in connecting my older Dell laptop which had SVideo out. So does anyone know what could be the solution for this new Dell? Is it something to do with the drivers?

I have Vista installed on this.

Hi
I am facing a somewhat similar and somewhat different problem.

I want to connect my Laptop to my TV for viewing movies.
Now my Laptop has a 4 pin S-Video port.
I also have a S-Video cable. It has a 4-pin s-video jack on one end and a two RC jacks on the other end (similar to AV jacks).

I had planned to put connect the s-video jack to my Laptop and one of the RC jacks to my TV through video-in.

But this seems to be not working. I have tried to replace the cable but of no use. I have also have got my Laptop checked at the service centre of IBM but they say that there is no problem with the port.

I want to know whether the method used by me to connect is correct or do I require any other cable or other equipment.

Purchase Mini Toslink to Toslink cable. Connect Mini Toslink at Laptop's SPDIF and the other end in AVR.

Friends,

One more Q from me.

Can I connect my Laptop headphone out to my AVR?
Do I need any spl cable for this?

I just want to play some music files from my Laptop to HT..

I would appreciate your help.

Regards,
Chella

Please check your laptop's specs, some of the laptops have an option where u can use the headphone out as digital coaxial out. The configuration will be controlled in the software. This will be the cheapest option as all you need is a cable.

If this does not work, get an external USB sound card. If you are getting a cheapo one, make sure it has digital output and use that to connect to your AVR. If you get a good one, use analog outs to connect to your avr.
If I remember correctly, a USB based sound card supports only CD quality, it wont support 24/96 or 24/192.

If you use the line out or the headphone out for this purpose, you will get real bad sound quality. It does not matter which laptop you have, they all have real bad on board sound cards (well, probably a mac is an exception to this rule).

I have a similar issue...
My laptop supports SPDIF thru 3.5 mm mini jack.
Does that means i require only a 3.5 mm mini jack to coaxial adapter and i can play music on AVR???

If yes will the digital output be 5.1 channel (my laptop does not support 5.1 channel in analog)?

Please suggest

Saurabh

My laptop supports SPDIF thru 3.5 mm mini jack.

Does that means i require only a 3.5 mm mini jack to coaxial adapter and i can play music on AVR???

If yes will the digital output be 5.1 channel (my laptop does not support 5.1 channel in analog)?

Saurabh,

If your laptop supports SPDIF output through headphone out, you need to get a cable like this. You will find the Bangalore dealers here.

110-9234_.jpg

You will connect the 3.5mm from laptop to the optical i/p of your avr.

And for your questions, the answer is yes & yes.

Cheers.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back