How to connect PS3 to a AVR

bazee

hello

I am posting a simple proble to all.
PS3 has following outs : Optical, Composite, HDMI

If we connect the PS3 HDMI to a std AVR like Onk 606(non-upscaling) and take the output HDMI to tv, will this HDMI transport sound and visual data to the AVR.

Or Should i connect the Optical out from the PS 3 to the optical in of the AVR .. will this ensure better sound.

PS3 has most of the DD/DTS codecs on board( which are missing?)
IT also upscales ( am i right).

I also heard that by chaning the connections you either take advantage or bypass coding/decoding or upscaling... what ever this means.

Your view is valuable.

regards

hello

I am posting a simple proble to all.
PS3 has following outs : Optical, Composite, HDMI

If we connect the PS3 HDMI to a std AVR like Onk 606(non-upscaling) and take the output HDMI to tv, will this HDMI transport sound and visual data to the AVR.

Or Should i connect the Optical out from the PS 3 to the optical in of the AVR .. will this ensure better sound.

PS3 has most of the DD/DTS codecs on board( which are missing?)
IT also upscales ( am i right).

I also heard that by chaning the connections you either take advantage or bypass coding/decoding or upscaling... what ever this means.

Your view is valuable.

regards

Hi Bazee,

Connecting your PS3 to Onk 606 with HDMI is enough to get both audio and video processed by the AVR. Since 606 supports both Dolby and DTS in high def make sure you buy HDMI ver 1.3a for a full fledged hi def sound when you are playing Blu Ray movies. Just choose the right settings on the PS3 to get the best possible sound and picture from it.

You can refer to this site for more detailed info:

PlayStation 3 Secrets

By the way, have you updated your PS3 firmware. I think its 2.53 now.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regds / Shailender

thanks for your comment
The latest update is 2.54.

So no need to connect optical cable ....

regards

Back