How to convert int amp into digital stereo receiver.

Akshit2111

Guys
How can i convert my integrated amplifier into a wifi streamer.
I am planning to buy cambridge audio axr85 integrated amplifier for my father in law.
Due to lack of knowledge i am not able to guide him correctly.
He likes the amp but wants to wirelessly play music through his phone(not through bluetooth but through wifi).
He also wants to connect his tv to this amp and use the speakers as tv speakers.
Please help us what device should be added to achieve this kind of functionality.
He wants to run RTI A7 POLK AUDIO speakers.

Please note that a budget alternative would be appreciated.
SmartSelect_20211122-182718_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20211122-182536_Chrome.jpg

I checked the user manual for AXR85. It has 3 analog audio inputs. Now you have basically asked two questions. Answer to first question below. Answer to next question in the next post

1. Sound of TV should come come through this. To achieve this, you need to check your TV user manual or check the behind for Audio out RCA sockets (some TV may have audio out on the sides). Best is to check your TV manual. The RCA Jacks will be coloured Red & Black or Red & While.

A representative image is below. You just need to connect a RCA cable between the TV audio out and one of the 3 analog input of the AMP. Red of TV should be connected to RED of AMP a1 and White of TV out should be connnected to White of AMP a1 (you can also use a2 or a3).
Example of an RCA cable is here - https://www.amazon.in/BlueRigger-An...11&hvtargid=pla-837284190641&ext_vrnc=hi&th=1

1637597263770.png

Last edited:
He likes the amp but wants to wirelessly play music through his phone(not through bluetooth but through wifi).

What music? Do you have a local music collection? Or does he wants to play music from youtube, Amazon Music, Google Music, Apple Music. Should we assume that he needs a very simple setup?

The simplest setup IMHO is to have firestick, google chromecast connected to two free HDMI ports on the TV. Anything played on the Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, the audio will get played on the AMP since you have connected the TV out to the AMP audio in (out of these Apple TV is the most troublesome. Unless you have only Apple iphones, macbooks, ipads, etc, it is very difficult to get the best quaility out of Apple Music using non-apple hardware).

There are other setups which may look complicated
- like connecting a music streamer with a IOS/Android app to control it.
- An external DAC connected to a small single board computer (raspberry PI, etc). These kind of setup too can be controlled wirelessly from phone. You can get lot of options like Tidal, Qobuz, Airplay, etc to be able to play music wirelessly.

I'm sure other members will come with lot of alternative suggestions. You will have to look at pros and cons of each solution.

Last edited:
Yes
He just wants a simple setup.
Does connecting tv through Rca cables give us the optimum output.
He currently owns LG oled bx.

What music? Do you have a local music collection? Or does he wants to play music from youtube, Amazon Music, Google Music, Apple Music. Should we assume that he needs a very simple setup?

The simplest setup IMHO is to have firestick, google chromecast connected to two free HDMI ports on the TV. Anything played on the Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, Apple TV, the audio will get played on the AMP since you have connected the TV out to the AMP audio in (out of these Apple TV is the most troublesome. Unless you have only Apple iphones, macbooks, ipads, etc, it is very difficult to get the best quaility out of Apple Music using non-apple hardware).

There are other setups which may look complicated
- like connecting a music streamer with a IOS/Android app to control it.
- An external DAC connected to a small single board computer (raspberry PI, etc). These kind of setup too can be controlled wirelessly from phone. You can get lot of options like Tital, Qobuz, Airplay, etc to be able to play music wirelessly.

I'm sure other members will come with lot of alternative suggestions. You will have to look at pros and cons of each solution.

Yes
He just wants a simple setup.
He currently owns LG oled bx.
Since the AMP has only Analog inputs, you have no other choice. Check your tv for Analog out.

The TV must be having multiple HDMI inputs. If you connect a google chromecast you can virtually play anything on the tv using an android phone on wifi. You can also watch netflix movies. You can listen to google YT music.

If you connect an Amazon Firestick, then you can play Amazon Music, YT music, Apple Music, Watch Amazon Prime movies and I think even the firestick supports google cast. You can also play netflix movies. The firstick ecosystem is vast with plenty of apps to play and watch digital content.

If your TV doesn't have analog out and only optical out, then you will have to buy a toslink to RCA converter. Something like this https://www.amazon.in/Digital-Optic...1&hvtargid=pla-960242192772&psc=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Why dont you consider an amplifier with a dac and digital input ? eg this or this

a stereo receiver might be even better since its basically a 2 channel AVR with HDMI, Phono and Radio.

On playing via wifi you will need some sort of a streamer/Roon from what I know..

Marantz 6007 was on our classified sale section few days back for 31k approx which is a good deal.
Has optical & Coaxial in, subwoofer pre out. 50wpc.

The stereo receiver suggested by Arj makes lot of sense. I'm not sure about it's price vs Cambridge AXR85. But it has far more connecrtivity options. It has HDMI inputs and ARC (Audio return channel) and optical inputs too. Has built-in streaming - Stream the most popular music services — like Spotify Free and Premium, Amazon Music, Tidal and many more — via Bluetooth, AirPlay 2 or the HEOS app. Support for digital assistants Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple Siri. Hi-Res support - Decodes hi-res audio ALAC, FLAC and WAV lossless files up to 24-bit/192-kHz, as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks (the audiophile format of SACD) lets you enjoy music exactly as the artist intended. Listen to your music via the front panel USB port or over network sources. So it looks like you will save on having to buy firestick, etc.

Bonus is the ARC and HDMI CEC. I use HDMI CEC to control my AVR using the TV remote itself. Everything (Firestick, chromecast, etc) works though a single remote - the TV remote. So it looks like you should be able to Easily control the Marantz NR1200 with your Smart TV remote via the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set “HDMI Control” to ON in your receiver, then set “Smart Menu” to ON and begin controlling the receiver with your TV remote. The Smart Menu home screen gives you quick access to source and sound mode selections, the setup menu and four Smart Select options.

I myself use my Panasonic Plasma tv with my Yamaha AVR and I have to use just one remote. When I switch on the TV, the AVR switches on too. Similarlly turning off the TV turns of the AVR too. THe volume button on TV remote changes the volume on the AVR. When I change inputs on the TV the AVR follows the AV input. The HDMI CEC function makes available the TV remote as a HID device for all external devices connected on the HDMI ports of the AVR. The only thing I cannot do with the TV remote is the alexa voice button.

Last edited:
The stereo receiver suggested by Arj makes lot of sense. I'm not sure about it's price vs Cambridge AXR85. But it has far more connecrtivity options. It has HDMI inputs and ARC (Audio return channel) and optical inputs too. Has built-in streaming - Stream the most popular music services — like Spotify Free and Premium, Amazon Music, Tidal and many more — via Bluetooth, AirPlay 2 or the HEOS app. Support for digital assistants Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple Siri. Hi-Res support - Decodes hi-res audio ALAC, FLAC and WAV lossless files up to 24-bit/192-kHz, as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks (the audiophile format of SACD) lets you enjoy music exactly as the artist intended. Listen to your music via the front panel USB port or over network sources. So it looks like you will save on having to buy firestick, etc.

Bonus is the ARC and HDMI CEC. I use HDMI CEC to control my AVR using the TV remote itself. Everything (Firestick, chromecast, etc) works though a single remote - the TV remote. So it looks like you should be able to Easily control the Marantz NR1200 with your Smart TV remote via the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set “HDMI Control” to ON in your receiver, then set “Smart Menu” to ON and begin controlling the receiver with your TV remote. The Smart Menu home screen gives you quick access to source and sound mode selections, the setup menu and four Smart Select options.

I myself use my Panasonic Plasma tv with my Yamaha AVR and I have to use just one remote. When I switch on the TV, the AVR switches on too. Similarlly turning off the TV turns of the AVR too. THe volume button on TV remote changes the volume on the AVR. When I change inputs on the TV the AVR follows the AV input. The HDMI CEC function makes available the TV remote as a HID device for all external devices connected on the HDMI ports of the AVR. The only thing I cannot do with the TV remote is the alexa voice button.
I went with a Samsung TV and a JBL 9.1 soundbar :oops:. Wanted to minimize cables and equipment. Having a complex hifi sitting in one room is already testingWAF limits.

This may not have great sound quality as TV will do DAC job. As FM suggested , amp with digital input is good option(Like Marantz). Yamaha also has a streamer model with inbuilt amp.

Marantz 6007 was on our classified sale section few days back for 31k approx which is a good deal.
Has optical & Coaxial in, subwoofer pre out. 50wpc.
Want to run polk rti a7 tower speakers. I had shortlisted marantz pm6007 given my limited budget but the dealer said it wont be able to run them properly.

Want to run polk rti a7 tower speakers. I had shortlisted marantz pm6007 given my limited budget but the dealer said it wont be able to run them properly.
The dealer must be getting more margin on the cambridge audio amp. I'm running polk rti a9 speakers on an age old yamana rx-v667

+1 I have seen dealers pushing for other amps than what we suggest them.
Best trustworthy person to check with is Anil from Hifimart.com, he will surely tell you the reality.

IA amps watts will always be better than the AVR, you will straight away notice a difference. If you or your father in law is not cranking up the volume at pretty high levels, marantz will do just fine.

The dealer must be getting more margin on the cambridge audio amp. I'm running polk rti a9 speakers on an age old yamana rx-v667
ill checkout marantz pm6007.
Out of Context :- given i have rti a7s do u recommend any other good speaker brand which similar tonal quality as polk but a little less bright. though with my Marantz they sound balanced to me but after some time becomes a little fatiguing.

+1 I have seen dealers pushing for other amps than what we suggest them.
Best trustworthy person to check with is Anil from Hifimart.com, he will surely tell you the reality.

IA amps watts will always be better than the AVR, you will straight away notice a difference. If you or your father in law is not cranking up the volume at pretty high levels, marantz will do just fine.
thank you :)

Out of Context :- given i have rti a7s do u recommend any other good speaker brand which similar tonal quality as polk but a little less bright. though with my Marantz they sound balanced to me but after some time becomes a little fatiguing.

Sadly the tonality will change if you want less bright, there are tons of speakers which sound less bright and neutral or warm. Let us know your budget.

But a big question, will these new speakers be used by you or move to father in law?
Used by AVR or a new IA amp?

Sadly the tonality will change if you want less bright, there are tons of speakers which sound less bright and neutral or warm. Let us know your budget.

But a big question, will these new speakers be used by you or move to father in law?
Used by AVR or a new IA amp?
by me. i would run them with my avr 6013 marantz. so we had two options
option 1: he buys rtis from me and I get something new( although in a limited budget as I had no plans to change my speakers)
option 2: he buys new. ( given it sounds as good as RTIs at that price)

Since you will be using them, check the tonality of the new speakers, should be close to centre channel.
Audition as many speakers as you can and then take a call.
What is your budget, BS or FS?

Decision making is a very difficult part. But give enough time for listening.

Since you will be using them, check the tonality of the new speakers, should be close to centre channel.
Audition as many speakers as you can and then take a call.
What is your budget, BS or FS?

Decision making is a very difficult part. But give enough time for listening.
fs+center budget approx 1-1.10 lac (given 10% to 15% less on mrp)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back