How to copy audio files to dvd

changappa

hi, everybody

Very straight question (Request). How to copy audio files (not Mp3) to DVD-R. DVD-RW. I tryed with nero 9 but it converts it to Mp3 OR it will ask for a 700 mb CD.:mad: Which is irritating. The 700 mb cd stores only up to 16 to 17 songs. If I am able to copy it to DVD means it will store atleast 70 to 80 songs. is there any free tools available on the net or does Nero 9 got a option? please let me know. Suggestions are taken with respect.:clapping:

regards.:sad:

hi, everybody

is there any free tools available on the net or does Nero 9 got a option? please let me know. Suggestions are taken with respect.:clapping:

regards.:sad:

You want CD song to copy on DVD? Another way is to convert CD to WMA/WAV & write on DVD.

Its not possible to write audio tracks on a DVD by burning software for home use. This is true as far as a i know

easy to do steps
rip cd using windows media player in wav format
burn the files to dvd.
play in dvd player if that's what you want to do.
If you want to keep it as backup, that should be fine too.
You may recreate the audio CD by burning selected tracks as "audio cd" and play in a CDP.

There are more formats (flac) and more ripping tools (eac) that you may get into once you are through with basic steps.

easy to do steps rip cd using windows media player in wav format burn the files to dvd.

Anm, I was intrigued by OP's request and just now tried Nero. It does not allow you to write a WAV file onto a DVD as an audio file. The only was you can do this is to convert that WAV file to MP4 (AAC) and then use those files to write onto a DVD.

Unless both Rikhav and I missed something, it does not seem possible to create a DVD having Redbook Audio CD Files. Yes, you can create FLAC and many other formats - but not the original format.

Though I did not try anything other than Nero, if there is a solution, I am also interested to know how.

Cheers

I agree. I tried it a year back I think, but didn't work. I wasted 2 blank DVD's that way. I guess the wav file can be written on the DVD, but as a data file, and not as one where it would play in a CDP or DVDP.

I am not an expert in multimedia usage of a PC, so was hesitating to put this up.

Regards.

solution is - don't use NERO. Use tools that can extract WAV file out of CD - for example WMP, or EAC.
Once you have the WAV files, just burn them on DVD as normal file. WMP gives you instant gratification as comes by default with windows.
I don't backup on DVDs, I am using HDD.

Anm, I was intrigued by OP's request and just now tried Nero. It does not allow you to write a WAV file onto a DVD as an audio file. The only was you can do this is to convert that WAV file to MP4 (AAC) and then use those files to write onto a DVD.

Unless both Rikhav and I missed something, it does not seem possible to create a DVD having Redbook Audio CD Files. Yes, you can create FLAC and many other formats - but not the original format.

Though I did not try anything other than Nero, if there is a solution, I am also interested to know how.

Cheers

I agree. I tried it a year back I think, but didn't work. I wasted 2 blank DVD's that way. I guess the wav file can be written on the DVD, but as a data file, and not as one where it would play in a CDP or DVDP.

I am not an expert in multimedia usage of a PC, so was hesitating to put this up.

Regards.

DVDp shld have decoder for WAV/WMA ,then only data DV can be read.
wav/Wma works well (wrote on CD)when played in my pioneer car system.

Burning WAV files would also not help as DVD players wont read them.
Best option would be either use media players or burn mp3's on a dvd and play through dvd player

If you are refering to "audio" only on a DVD media
- you may have 2 options( that i am aware of) - write the DVD as a DATA disc -i.e. in mp3, wav, flac,aac,ogg etc and the other options i see is DVD-Audio format. But do check for your DVD player's comptability before you make any DVD-Audio( but you can take it for granted that most dvd player are - so dont worry) , software are avlb to encode/make in these just like any other DVD creators.
to start with , you can check here.
DVD-Audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NOTE: i never tried this option, but i do use mp3@360kpbs on my portables but direct CDs or DVD on a music player - clean and ok

AFAIK - DVD audio is not supported by MOST dvd players. They are supported by only select few universal players. Pls correct me if I am wrong.
A dedicated CDP will not be able to read the DVD either.
So if you are using DVD beyond backup, to also play it, you have to write it as a data disk. A lot of DVD players should be able to play WAV files from DVD disk - my philips 5996 does it (IIRC - have not checked recently)

regards

If you are refering to "audio" only on a DVD media
- you may have 2 options( that i am aware of) - write the DVD as a DATA disc -i.e. in mp3, wav, flac,aac,ogg etc and the other options i see is DVD-Audio format. But do check for your DVD player's comptability before you make any DVD-Audio( but you can take it for granted that most dvd player are - so dont worry) , software are avlb to encode/make in these just like any other DVD creators.
to start with , you can check here.
NOTE: i never tried this option, but i do use mp3@360kpbs on my portables but direct CDs or DVD on a music player - clean and ok

Last edited:
anm, i stand CORRECTED.
"...The high-resolution, Packed PCM audio encoded using MLP is only playable by DVD players containing DVD-Audio decoding capability...."
you will need a universal player or check the dvd players if it supports this format.
But comming back to playing audio on a dvd player - i can suggest using DVD authoring software.
skip out all the video part ( allows you to replace with an image for that length) and replace audio with your source. then create the menu /titles etc.
this could be a time consuming, but can be done.( takes about 3-4 hours with video - only audio part could be less )
Try making ISO image instead of writing to media directly - this way you can test by mounting softwares - in other words this WILL be a DVD movie, with movies part replaced with a still image while the audio plays.

Last edited:
Burning WAV files would also not help as DVD players wont read them.
Best option would be either use media players or burn mp3's on a dvd and play through dvd player

hi. Mp3 option I know its easy there r plenty softwares on the net which will convert audio cd format to mp3. My requirement is convert mp3 back to audio cd format and burn it to a dvd which should be readable in dvd player. I tryed nero digital audio (Mp4) it works but won't read in DVD player.:sad:

regards

There is SW which changes songs in pseudo DVD-A format which any DVDp can play.

Audio DVD Creator - Create your own music DVD and enjoy it on any DVD player!

I have used this before & works with old DVDp too.

Audio DVD creator or any DVD creating software can do it once the wav file is converted to 48khz since video DVDs can read only that format. Even Windows Moviemaker can do it. Insert some pix in place of the video and insert the wav file in the audio track. It will upconvert 44.1khz audio into 48khz and write it as normal video DVD. You can even upconvert your wav files to 96/24 and write them for better output. I have tried this and works on all normal DVD players.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Just adding few more details and clarity to Shailender's and spirovious's posts
1.DVD - MPeg differences
( audio options normally used in DVD)
2.Comparison of container formats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( check the table under "Name and file extension" for MPEG program stream PS (.ps) )
3DVD Flick
( what normally DVD authouring softwares support different sources )
4.CDs -2 channels of PCM audio, sampled at 44100 Hz.
so , if you have mp3 ( which is already 1/12 the quality of CD - normally at 128kpbs) or WAV( prefer this) - it gets converted to the target format you need in the DVD

hi. Mp3 option I know its easy there r plenty softwares on the net which will convert audio cd format to mp3. My requirement is convert mp3 back to audio cd format and burn it to a dvd which should be readable in dvd player. I tryed nero digital audio (Mp4) it works but won't read in DVD player.:sad:

regards

Why do you want to convert all mp3s to audio tracks?

Audio CD uses a different file format and thus it is not possible to copy .cda tracks directly to DVD. You can rip the CD in your computer hard drive using a CD Ripping Software and save the file as WAV or FLAC (which will reduce the file size approx. by 50%) and then write the WAV or FLAC File as DATA DVD.This process is very good for backing up your CD Tracks to DVDs or use your Hard Drive as a Music Server sa WAV and FLAC is a lossless format.

Use MP3 ripping only if you use the audio files in Portable Audio Device or else in true hifi setup you can hear the loss even at highest bitrate of 320kbps.

;)

:confused:

That's true, but once you've got MP3 you don't gain anything at all by converting back to an uncompressed format.

That's what is meant by "lossy" compressions: lost never to be regained.

Your CD-format music will sound like MP3.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back