how to do Internal wiring of power strip

amit11

Hi Friends,

Recently i observed that the normal power strip (or power extension board) which I was using, was affecting the final sound to some extent. Different power strips changed the sound differently. Some power strips have a fuse in them, some have an individual switch for each socket and some have a single switch for all sockets.

So I created a custom power board with 4 sockets and 1 switch only. (instead of 4 individual switches). The top board, sockets and swtich was of Anchor Roma brand. Internal wiring was of Polycab wire.

Now I needed to add more connections. So I attached 3 pin connector. But I still think that is not ideal. I felt different 3 pin connectors also affected the sound sometimes.

So I am thinking to build a bigger power board with around 8 sockets and either 1 switch or max 2 switches. I do not want to put individual switches, prefer to keep the path simple.

Yesterday I came across an article which says about the INTERNAL WIRING inside a power strip/board. It states something about SERIAL WIRE vs STAR WIRING. It also says about SEQUENCE Of items plugged in and how it can impact sound to some extent.

So I wanted to know your opinions and what you think is a good approach for internal wiring. Also any preferences of the wire to use for internal wiring, and any preference for the brand of sockets and switches.

https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/au.../power-extension-blocks-normal-or-star-wired/

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 72
Most of the power strips follow serial connections.
You need to use a 15A switch or a MCB if you are using multiple 6A plug points and 2 sqmm wire.
I am bit sceptical of your audio output change analogy because of power strip box.

The power strips available in our local market are not upto mark. Better assemble one according to your need using standard products like Finolex/ Anchor cable and Roma switches/Sockets. Have some sockets which takes both US type and Indian type plugs. Use a MCB. Do not compromise on the earthing. You can spend more buying expensive and fancy items. But most probably you will not get any difference including that of sound quality

Star wiring is clearly preferred.... but more difficult & labour intensive to implement, specially if you have 6 or more outlets.
ultimate-stekkerblok-intern-IMG_3352_550pix.jpg

See how cramped the connections get ! Use colour coded wires to avoid errors.

Every switch adds its own contact resistance. Minimise or even avoid switches.

An MCB is ... for this application, worse than a switch, since the MCB has a Bi-Metalic strip who's resistance increases as you draw more current .. (ie a MCB offers Non Linear performance).

The above are for Power Strips to be used in a decent audio system.

An MCB is a good choice for Non Audio applications.

Star wiring is clearly preferred.... but more difficult & labour intensive to implement, specially if you have 6 or more outlets.
As mentioned this is not an easy job, especially if the terminals are thin and the wires you will use will be thick.
One compromise is to have a continuous serial connection without cutting the wire, but just strip the outer insulation at the connectors on the sockets and then routing it back to the switch terminal.
In effect, you will start at the switch, connect all the sockets without cutting the wire and loop it back to the switch terminal

Last edited:
Solder your wires to the contacts and that will ensure good connections, serial or otherwise.
You mean, instead of tightening wire in the socket pin using the usual way with screw, soldering would be better?

Strictly speaking, what is referred to here as serial is not serial but parallel. Just saying!
One compromise is to have a continuous serial connection without cutting the wire, but just strip the outer insulation at the connectors on the sockets and then routing it back to the switch terminal.
In effect, you will start at the switch, connect all the sockets without cutting the wire and loop it back to the switch terminal
What I would do (if I were anal enough!) is to do it this way (without cutting the conductor) but use uninsulated solid core conductors instead, make the connections and then insulate the conductor appropriately.
;and any preference for the brand of sockets and switches.
Wipro North West!

Last edited:
Do we also get modular socket for IEC C13 which we can fix on the Anchor Roma top plate?

Do not limit yourself to a few local DIYers. !! Go here :

Put in various appropriate search terms, spend two or three weeks - or months, and learn much about power delivery, and the $$$$ products one can use.

Also study Chris VenHaus' web site, VH Audio, on such topics, and he has three excellent recipes / " Flavors" for power cords.

I like to use 12 AWG military specified wire, bought surplus priced, for all my AC wiring, number is m22759/11, multi stranded copper, individual strands silver plated, in a teflon outer jacket. Superb wire choice.

Keep it simple.

Jeff

New Power board under preparation...

7 socket
Switch -one for positive and one for neutral
(Instead of Dual pole switch of 32 amp, this was chosen. This smaller switch has a better feel to them, so two used)
Star wiring

20210821_214310.jpg

Attachments

• 20210821_214855.jpg
    20210821_214855.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Now with the Power Board connected, I urge you to find snug fitting plugs, to minimize sparking of any sort. Also, please tin your wire ends so that when you insert in switches/plugs, no loose wire keeps hanging. Though, after collaborating with Panasonic, Anchor has undergone a sea change, but you never know ...

How many equipments will you be using at a given time ?
Around 6 currently. 1 may be added later. So total 7.
I also had purchased Roma plate and board for 8 sockets plus which had 3X3 layout, but it was looking bulky and the middle sockets were not convenient. Hence went for 4X2 layout

OK, If the load is heavy you will be probably using 15A plug and cable for this main board which will be good.
regards.

New Power board under preparation...

7 socket
Switch -one for positive and one for neutral
(Instead of Dual pole switch of 32 amp, this was chosen. This smaller switch has a better feel to them, so two used)
Star wiring

View attachment 61270
Interesting. Why is there a switch for the neutral.?You are not supposed to break the neutral.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back