How to get surround sound out from Netflix for your receiver

ullazthomaz

I primarily use Netflix or Amazon Prime Video to watch movies using my Onkyo HT S3500. There are a couple of ways to get surround sound output natively to your old receiver while watching movies on Netflix.

1) Android TV Box: Connect any good Android TV Box or even a Chromecast receiver to get true surround output. Especially on my Onkyo receiver, it will display Dolby when it's getting surround sound input from the connected device. So, you can download Netflix and Amazon Prime Video if not preinstalled. Now, for this, you have to buy an Android Box. A good budget TV Box available in the Indian market is the Mi TV Box (It supports Chromecast Ultra; You will get 4k Streaming).

2) Playstation / Xbox: Use your existing gaming console, be it your old Playstation 3 or your new Playstation 4, it supports and outputs true Dolby surround sound. You can download and install Netflix and Amazon Prime Video app on these devices from the Playstation store and you will get true surround sound.

3) PC or Laptop: You can connect your laptop or PC and play Netflix or Prime on it. However, I noticed, that playing Netflix or Prime through the chrome browser or your web browser won't let you get true surround sound. I tried getting into the developer mode and forcing the browser to output 5.1 so that my receiver will pick it up. However, it's a lot of work and may not work all the time. What you can do is, just go to the Microsoft store and download the Netflix and Amazon Prime Video app. It will natively output 5.1 surround sound and your old receiver will pick it up.

Let me know if you tried any of these and you have any questions on how to get it working.

I am thinking to try the last option. Though i have Netflix app on Blu-ray player, will try the app installed through laptop and project on the screen. Have to see if the quality video and audio wise would be same between TV Netflix app Vs Blu-ray installed app Vs laptop installed app.

I am thinking to try the last option. Though i have Netflix app on Blu-ray player, will try the app installed through laptop and project on the screen. Have to see if the quality video and audio wise would be same between TV Netflix app Vs Blu-ray installed app Vs laptop installed app.
Please do try and let us know how it went. I felt it was pretty good.

Laptop installed Netflix app and prime did not give me native 5.1 sound. I tried installing Netflix add on inside Kodi in my windows 10 laptop and it worked.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back