How to go about buying any equipment

humblebee

Just a simple and useful suggestion & maybe a discussion (if you chime in) that when you're going to buy stereo system or an HT, don't focus on getting everything right straight away. Just buy the equipment as step one.
Add improvements later on and this will enhance your experience as you will get a performance boost.
This will also ensure future involvement.
Also, this will ensure that your bhaav doesn't get wasted as first bhaav is first bhaav.

For e.g. buy HT and start watching. Room treatment after some time.

I hope that was easy enough to understand.

Very Sound advice indeed. But I would like to add my one and half cent. Before buying HT or Stereo system , please read about it as much as possible , discuss about it with your like minded fellows, take time and don't hurry. If possible audition , listen to your fav tracks . I was advised by my friend to listen to MP3 in a system and try to feel how it sounds. Believe in your ears. Gradually build up your system and don't buy any rigs in haste.

Most of us will agree that buy Speakers first ,that's what you actually hear. Then go for matching amp/ avr.Go step by step.

I agree. I believe in should have a vision of what they want their envisioned system to do and even if you don't buy everything upfront meticulous thinking through is required to ensure you don't have immediate buyer's remote. Example: knowing upfront whether you want to have subwoofer part of your system or not helps determine what speakers works be optimal. If you are going to get a sub, looking for an amp that has connectivity along with bass management helps. Knowing where you are going to keep it as a primary location and what your secondary location might be in case you upgrade and would want to retain the speakers or amp by moving to the bedroom. Knowing whether you would like to connect to tv will help you look for hdmi options in your amp, knowing whether you would want to integrate with your av receiver in the living room would help you choose an amp with home theatre bypass. All current and probable use case scenarios should be clearly drafted and equipment should be shortlisted meeting the defined criteria. Its ok if this process takes time

Apart from avoiding the obvious mistakes (like investing in an amp first and then scouting for speakers to suit the same) the choice of the approach could be personality driven. There are those of us who’d prefer to be spontaneous, open to new possibilities and prefer to delay finalising/closing decisions as much as possible. They’d generally gravitate to the OP’s ‘open-ended’ approach. And then there are those of us who’d rather deliberate a lot, set goals, plan their acquisitions upfront - i.e. seek decision closure as soon as possible. They’d probably gravitate to the ‘closed-ended’ approach well exemplified in @Amitdubey’s post above.

Neither of these are right or wrong, better or worse in an absolute sense. But one of these is broadly speaking, you. Therefore, ‘know thyself’ and go accordingly. However, while you do so, also be aware of the pitfalls you could avoid or the value you could easily gain by flexing your approach (and your mind therefore) with discretion as felt necessary.

What does that even mean in this context? People are trying to recommend an approach for right decision making

This is not a corporate project.
This is Life !
It’s about knowing oneself and the decision making approach that suits oneself better. Why should it be any less relevant for significant (cost as well as involvement wise) personal decisions? You are the same person - whether at work or otherwise.

Both of you (@humblebee and @Amitdubey) have broadly outlined two opposite styles of decision making in setting up an audio system (no less than a personal project). All I’ve said is that neither’s better or worse in an absolute sense. And with the aid of personality theory explained what kinds of persons might resonate with one over the other.

I am sure it would make sense to some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with you Sachin. Our selection, buying process reflects how we think and approach life generally. Back in the day, I have bought things impulsively and then realised importance of researching about it and comparing with other options in market. The temptation to walkout with an electronic a sales person has sold us on..has always been high. With times and couple of mistakes, we all evolve in our decision making process. Its that framework of decision making we use in all aspects of life and not only hifi

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back