How to identify Phase-Neutral in 2 pin power cord?

sunder

In hifi electronics, CD players, Cassette Decks, Turntables and integrated amps come with power cables as hard wired from the inside. On the both sides of the moulded 2 pin plugs, there are many standard universal logos for the different information of the specification. I want to know from that all those specification: How to identify the pin of 'Phase' and the pin of 'Neutral?. Please share your ideas. Thank you.
-Sunder.

Why do you want this info?
I also wanted to know this info because of leakage current on my Marantz PM 6004 amp. Marantz PM 6004 comes with 2 pin power cord. Once I noticed that PM 6004 giving me tingling sensation when I touched it. I changed the polarity of the male part of the cord ( that goes into the wall socket) and there was no tingling sensation. Then I took out the plug and then marked the right pin as '+' by putting a small piece of red insulating tape. From next time on, I would always put the marked pin on the right hole of the wall socket.
If you are worried about leakage current or you want to provide good earthing to you amp, please let us know. There is a separate thread on leakage current.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

If you have an earth connection, you can easily determine the polarity by using a voltmeter. You will read 230V AC voltage between phase and earth, while reading a very small voltage around zero between neutral and earth.

thankyou

If you have an earth connection, you can easily determine the polarity by using a voltmeter. You will read 230V AC voltage between phase and earth, while reading a very small voltage around zero between neutral and earth.

thankyou

Why sweat when you can use a line tester? I think the OP wants to know which pin should carry Phase to the device.

Why do you want this info?
I also wanted to know this info because of leakage current on my Marantz PM 6004 amp. Marantz PM 6004 comes with 2 pin power cord. Once I noticed that PM 6004 giving me tingling sensation when I touched it. I changed the polarity of the male part of the cord ( that goes into the wall socket) and there was no tingling sensation. Then I took out the plug and then marked the right pin as '+' by putting a small piece of red insulating tape. From next time on, I would always put the marked pin on the right hole of the wall socket.
If you are worried about leakage current or you want to provide good earthing to you amp, please let us know. There is a separate thread on leakage current.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Hi Amit, I ask for one of the reason what you had experienced. But, if the polarity is not correct, then the sound quality also will be affected and distorted. So that will not good to listen music. Some manufacturers provide the 'white' line on the phase side of the power cable.

Thanks.

Won't a simple tester (screwdriver with light)do the trick ? The red light will glow on the phase side.mostly in india it's the right one.
For the equipment, if you open it , it will be a brown coloured wire and the fuse will be on it .
In the uk it's reversed

The techninal reason for polarity to be right is that the fuse of the equipment should always be in the live as the current should first go through the fuse before the internals.
There is apparently an effect on souls due to polarity as well but personally not explored it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Folks, READ the question. He wants to know how to identify which pin in a two pin POWER CORD is meant for phase.

There is apparently an effect on souls due to polarity as well but personally not explored it
Not on "our" souls, certainly. :D

Won't a simple tester (screwdriver with light)do the trick ? The red light will glow on the phase side.mostly in india it's the right one.
For the equipment, if you open it , it will be a brown coloured wire and the fuse will be on it .
In the uk it's reversed

The techninal reason for polarity to be right is that the fuse of the equipment should always be in the live as the current should first go through the fuse before the internals.

Arj, if a cassette deck or a FM tuner doesn't have a fuse inside, then how to detect the phase wire? And, knowing the direction > of the phase wiring also difficult one to upgrade for a high end fuse. Like 'Hi-Fi Tuning' high end fuse manufacturers recommend to fit the fuses by the arrow direction . Please share your ideas. Thanks.

If there is no fuse, Don't think there is any easy way to figure out what it is inside the component other than physically tracing the phase line from connector to the internal components.. Just curious, what are you planning to do with this info ? Is it for aligning polarity ?

If there is no fuse, Don't think there is any easy way to figure out what it is inside the component other than physically tracing the phase line from connector to the internal components.. Just curious, what are you planning to do with this info ? Is it for aligning polarity ?

The hifi system will work when I insert the two pin power plug without take care of the polarity. But I believe that the reproduction of the audio fidelity will be fine when we provide the clean power supply in the proper way that should be. Am I worrying unnecessarily ? Thanks.

The hifi system will work when I insert the two pin power plug without take care of the polarity. But I believe that the reproduction of the audio fidelity will be fine when we provide the clean power supply in the proper way that should be. Am I worrying unnecessarily ? Thanks.

It is very component specific .. Some , allegedly , more sensitive than others . I personally have not experienced on my system it but do know audiophiles who are very sensitive to it .

Best way is to try both ways. If there is no difference then why worry :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back