How to improve FM Reception quality

sunilkm

Hi all,

I have a tuner and but the FM reception is not really good in my apt.
I live in Bangalore and the apt is away from city.
I have connected the FM indoor antenna ( aprox 2m wire on back of the tuner 75ohms FM ANT jack). But I hear lot of noise mixed up.

1) how to improve this?
2) Will it help if I extend this wire antenna to the roof top. This option is possible.
3) Do I have to buy any other type of FM antenna?

Any pointers would be helpful.
Sunil

hi Sunil,
Did you buy the FM indoor antenna (75ohms FM ANT jack) in Bangalore?
If yes, can you let me know where.
Thanks.

Hi sunil, connect a long 75 ohms cable to a (dipole) television antenna, that's what i am doing....it works. If you have no access to TV antenna, use a alluminium hanger (without sleeve) mounted on roof top. check the attached image for ref.

Anil

Hi all,

I have a tuner and but the FM reception is not really good in my apt.
I live in Bangalore and the apt is away from city.
I have connected the FM indoor antenna ( aprox 2m wire on back of the tuner 75ohms FM ANT jack). But I hear lot of noise mixed up.

1) how to improve this?
2) Will it help if I extend this wire antenna to the roof top. This option is possible.

Any pointers would be helpful.
Sunil

Last edited:
1) how to improve this?

You need an external antenna. Old TV antennas serve as a good FM antenna too. All failing, you may go the DIY route. If you don't have access to roof-top you can try building a whip antenna yourself. Try this:

* Buy a few meters of TV cable. The thicker the better. Specially pay attention to the main core. The solid wire at the center should be at least thick enough to be used as a contact point by itself. Also, don't buy the ready made pieces with connectors at both the ends usually available in the market (as they are mostly twisted in order to get packaged). Buy loose cable because the inner core should not have any twists etc (or at least as less as possible).
* Buy a connector and fit it on one end.

* Don't peel the other end. Just leave it smoothly cut.

* Connect it to the tuner and lay down the free end on the floor in way it is as straight as possible. Some parts would be gone inside the rack/furniture. Once the cable has come out, try to keep it as straight as possible.

* If possible, try to point it towards the TV transmitter, if you know its position (may help a bit more). Or play with the direction till you get the best reception.

This will not boost the reception by a huge margin over the bundled wire antenna that you are mentioning, but will reduce the multi path problems resulting in a cleaner signal.

I am away 45 kms from fm relay station. I took my old tv v type antenna supplied with my sony tv and tied it to a wooden post in the roof of my house. With co-axial cable with out any cut or joint i fed through my tuner no booster or anything. Nice reception. As if in the heart of the city i hear with hifi power pre amp so is the undistorted quality. Pay attention to the real good quality co-axial full length. Thanks give me your feed back

The wire antenna supplied with my onkyo is not good enough. But when I wrap it around my tata sky cable the quality increases considerably.
Can I use a tata sky cable as an FM antenna directly?

Hi, use a dipole antenna or a aluminium hanger for improved FM reception, check the attached picture, this is what i have done [DIY way]

one more link; Dipole FM antenna

FMantenna.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anil

Guys,

I've got Marantz SR 4003 AVR & the antenna supplied is too short + I have bad reception (Mumbai) I am unable to figure the connector used by Marantz to connect the wire on the AVR.

Please suggest what type of wire to be used?

Thanks,
Abhijit

FM antenna is very simple unlike AM.
If you connect simple wire to the end of receiver & throw other end outside(balcony/window) It works.Wire shld be ideally straight & not ziczac.

I have a Technics ST-G40L Stereo tuner.
I don't have a FM outdoor antenne. But for AM I am using a loop antenne which came along with old sony music system and is working fine.
How to make a good inexpensive FM antenne. Should give good reception.

@Sunilkm

I tried the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 vertical omnidirectional FM antenna. It was amazing! Pulled 12 channels as compared to only six in the car. The India distributor says it will work up to 70 miles radius on flat terrain.

@Sunilkm

I tried the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 vertical omnidirectional FM antenna. It was amazing! Pulled 12 channels as compared to only six in the car. The India distributor says it will work up to 70 miles radius on flat terrain.

Amazing!
Where did you procure it from? And how much did you pay?

@anuragn

I got it from Magnum Dynalab India distributor. The name is listed on their website. It cost Rs. 9999 including tax. It's so effing beautiful as well. Worth every penny. :D

Are there any recommended INDOOR FM/AM antennas that we can buy in India? Seem to be plenty in US/UK markets but none here. A business idea for some entrepreneur.

Why cant we just connect to the Tata Sky dish cable & improve reception?

Found this nice DIY link, but yet to try it.
HamRadioIndia • High Gain FM Antenna

Hi,
I need help with FM antenna. I have a Rotel Tuner. I also have 1 meter F type Coaxial Cable that came with the Tuner. One end connects to the FM 75 Ohm connector at the back of the Tuner. Is there something that I am missing on the loose end of the cable. Do I need to connect/ buy some additional cable to complete the FM antenna. Is there a DIY alternative to this?
FMs please help me out.
Best regards
RPM

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back