How to increase sound output of low gain carts

navinsinha

I was using Shure M55E cart on my AR XA turntable. A few days back, I changed the cart and put my ADC ZLM. I found that I have to increase the volume to 12 o'clock position which was never more than 9 o'clock with Shure M55E. Is there a way to increase the volume output of the low gain carts? As I understand ADC ZLM cart's gain is 3.5mv as against above 6mv for the Shure.

Most likely there will be no way to increase output of either the cart or phono stage as both are fixed (unless of course you have a phono stage that allows multiple gain settings). Your volume knob is your best friend, and there's no harm using it unless it unduly increases the background noise too.

Simply add one opamp gain stage after phono preamplifier, like SSP here. Contact sachu888, he may help you.
But keep in mind, phono preamplifier generally gives output of ~350mV which is far less than line level 1Vpp. So the difference in audio levels at volume control is obvious. Anyway increasing volume level should not be a problem as you must be concerned with output and not the position of volume control.
I am also living with that difference. But no problem as 12'O clock position of my Pearl-2 phono gives me same audio levels as 9'O position for Tuner or DAC.
My 2 paise! ;)

Last edited:
+1 to what omishra said. A particular volume position is not sacrosanct. But a very high level of gain at the line level will very likely add noise to your phono preamp's output as the phono preamp already operates at very high gain (~40 dB or sometimes even higher, compared to 6-12 dB gain of typical line level preamps).

I had never noticed any difference between my XLM and the M55. It turns out that the XLM has a higher output than the ZLM. Maybe a stylus downgrade would help :D ?

I had never noticed any difference between my XLM and the M55. It turns out that the XLM has a higher output than the ZLM. Maybe a stylus downgrade would help :D ?

Thanks All!
I am not very sure but XLM should be above 5mv! In that case, there may not be possible to differentiate between XLM and M55. But ZLM is low gain for sure. I would contact Sachhu also as I have procured from him a MM & MC phono stage, though not used so far!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back