How to Make a 16:9, 100 fixed frame projection screen from 4:3, 120

Sumit

Hey Guys!!

I recently completed fabrication of my DIY 16:9 projection screen. The results have been satisfying. I use to own a 4:3, 8 X 6 liberty pull down with auto lock screen. I was projecting a 16:9 image on this screen. Basically, I wasnt opening the screen fully.
There were huge black bars on top of the image and wrinkles developed in due course of time. This used to bother me a lot. So, I built one of my own!!!

Now, the method to build my fixed frame screen is courtesy of projector central, although I have made a few additions of my own.

Make a Projection Screen for under $100

I have used thin layer of foam between wood and velvet cloth. This gives a slight cushion touch to frame and it looks smooth! Rest, more or less the procedure has been followed from projector central.

My local carpenter had cut the screen cloth from the pull down screen and then fixed the same to the frame using screw-washer arrangement. It took four people to screw the cloth on the frame as it had to pulled number of times from all directions to get rid of the wrinkles. Still, there are wrinkles on the screen which need to be fixed. You see, the day this was being done there were some power issues and the lights in the HT could not be turned on completely. So, we could not see the wrinkles. I shall get them fixed this Sunday.

Now, I have a 100 diagonal fixed frame DIY screen with liberty cloth.

Cost Implications:
Wood: Rs.650/-
Cloth: Rs. 250/-
Screw+ washers: Rs. 100 approx
Total: Rs.900 + carpenter labour for one day.

In my case, I already owned the screen. For me this screen cost 11K!!
For others, they can just buy the cloth and get your own DIY screen. It will cost much less.

I tell you guys, it took some guts for me to cut the screen. One of my friend commented, Sumit, get ready to buy a new fixed frame screen!!. But, it was much easier than I thought except the wrinkle management part. If the frame is ready then fixing the cloth takes less than 60 minutes by three persons.

All in all, in one day we can get everything up and running.

Come on , let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!!

img6190m.jpg

img6183.jpg

img6281v.jpg

img6272kz.jpg

img6276ok.jpg

img6266i.jpg

Cheers!!

Woe images look stunning!congrats:clapping:.

But can we use any silk cloth , what will be the shape in the long run say in1 year ?

There may be some wrinkles ,deformations have you done any special treatments to the silk... just curious.

Thanks Kaushik.

Yes, you may use silk cloth but it should not be of reflective in nature. You may also cover wooden board with matt finish mica which is non-reflective.
There will not be any deformations whatsoever. I have not done any treatment to the Velvet cloth.

Cheers

Woe images look stunning!congrats:clapping:.

But can we use any silk cloth , what will be the shape in the long run say in1 year ?

There may be some wrinkles ,deformations have you done any special treatments to the silk... just curious.

Great DIY. I shall look forward to the same process for my fixed frame screen. At present I own a 16:9 - 90" pull down screen but as you have pointed out that they are prone to wrinkles and in my case since the screen is around 5" away from the wall and that too mounted through a L shaped wooden Brackets, this was done to facilitate viewing through my LCD which is wall mounted. I have seen some RIPPLES on the left side of my screen too which I would fix by making a fixed frame screen with your help.

Great DIY. I shall look forward to the same process for my fixed frame screen. At present I own a 16:9 - 90" pull down screen but as you have pointed out that they are prone to wrinkles and in my case since the screen is around 5" away from the wall and that too mounted through a L shaped wooden Brackets, this was done to facilitate viewing through my LCD which is wall mounted. I have seen some RIPPLES on the left side of my screen too which I would fix by making a fixed frame screen with your help.

Sure Ashish. I will certainly help you to get this done.

Cheers!

Well Done Sumit!! Bravo:clapping: Thanks for sharing. I am sure this will help others to get 16:9 format screen using an existing 4:3 screen.

To avoid wrinkles, one can follow the "How-to" below. I followed these instructions to stretch fabric over acoustic panels and it works well.

How to Stretch a Canvas (with video) - wikiHow

Another simple solution is tab-tensioned screens. A DIY approach can be seen in the attachments :

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9939/dsc00167bl.jpg (check the sides of the screen)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1391/dsc00160pm.jpg (closeup)

It looks promising. I want to know more about this approach as I would be interested in it for now. Could you send me the links whereby its shown in detail. As the links posted by you only shows the end result but I want to know its approach procedure.

Another simple solution is tab-tensioned screens. A DIY approach can be seen in the attachments :

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9939/dsc00167bl.jpg (check the sides of the screen)

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1391/dsc00160pm.jpg (closeup)

Santhosh: The link you have posted deals more with painting canvas that is also painted later which gives it more stiffness. Also, he is dealing with 2 X 2 size, which is far more easier than to deal with a 100" diagonal!! Although, pointers can be taken from this link but it takes a little bit more skill than this.

CMsajith: I had thought of the the workaround you have done too. But, I was not sure if I'd like two strings and weight hanging around the screen. Hence, decided against it. No offence.

Guys, I believe if done properly than this can be a cheap alternative to a branded fixed screen. Nothing more nothing less.

Cheers!!

for the weighted stretching screen looks good too , may be a few acrylic bars available in sp road (for bangalore) can be utilized.

Santhosh: The link you have posted deals more with painting canvas that is also painted later which gives it more stiffness. Also, he is dealing with 2 X 2 size, which is far more easier than to deal with a 100" diagonal!! Although, pointers can be taken from this link but it takes a little bit more skill than this.
I agree about the complexity because the size that we are dealing here is much larger than in the link I posted. But one thing to note is that there is a huge difference in doing the longer sides first. You will end up with more wrinkles if you do the shorter side first - my own experience.

Here the Diy method is good ,but the question is
will it last in specially indian regions where there
is wide temp and humidity variations as well as other factors ?

stretched silk unless tested may develop ripples etc ,
and frequent tweaking may be needed..

point is we need to find the exact type that matches requirements...any data on the silk type

Here the Diy method is good ,but the question is
will it last in specially indian regions where there
is wide temp and humidity variations as well as other factors ?

stretched silk unless tested may develop ripples etc ,
and frequent tweaking may be needed..

point is we need to find the exact type that matches requirements...any data on the silk type

I hope by 'Silk' you mean the frame cloth and not the screen material!!
You see, I used velvet cloth. This was a stretchable cloth. I pulled the cloth and then stapled the same from the back. I don't hink it will develop any wrinkles. furthermore, it is black in colour and hence visibility of wrinkles shall be minimal.

I hope we are on the same page.

Cheers!!

Hey Guys!!

I recently completed fabrication of my DIY 16:9 projection screen. The results have been satisfying. I use to own a 4:3, 8 X 6 liberty pull down with auto lock screen. I was projecting a 16:9 image on this screen. Basically, I wasnt opening the screen fully.
There were huge black bars on top of the image and wrinkles developed in due course of time. This used to bother me a lot. So, I built one of my own!!!

Now, the method to build my fixed frame screen is courtesy of projector central, although I have made a few additions of my own.

Make a Projection Screen for under $100

I have used thin layer of foam between wood and velvet cloth. This gives a slight cushion touch to frame and it looks smooth! Rest, more or less the procedure has been followed from projector central.

My local carpenter had cut the screen cloth from the pull down screen and then fixed the same to the frame using screw-washer arrangement. It took four people to screw the cloth on the frame as it had to pulled number of times from all directions to get rid of the wrinkles. Still, there are wrinkles on the screen which need to be fixed. You see, the day this was being done there were some power issues and the lights in the HT could not be turned on completely. So, we could not see the wrinkles. I shall get them fixed this Sunday.

Now, I have a 100 diagonal fixed frame DIY screen with liberty cloth.

Cost Implications:
Wood: Rs.650/-
Cloth: Rs. 250/-
Screw+ washers: Rs. 100 approx
Total: Rs.900 + carpenter labour for one day.

In my case, I already owned the screen. For me this screen cost 11K!!
For others, they can just buy the cloth and get your own DIY screen. It will cost much less.

I tell you guys, it took some guts for me to cut the screen. One of my friend commented, Sumit, get ready to buy a new fixed frame screen!!. But, it was much easier than I thought except the wrinkle management part. If the frame is ready then fixing the cloth takes less than 60 minutes by three persons.

All in all, in one day we can get everything up and running.

Come on , let me know what you guys think.

Cheers!!

img6190m.jpg

img6183.jpg

img6281v.jpg

img6272kz.jpg

img6276ok.jpg

img6266i.jpg

Cheers!!

will it support 3d movies ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back