How to organize music files ? - Please suggest.

I use MP3tag and Album Art Downloader to do what I need, yes its not automated as one would like but I have tried many automated applications including media monkey, but nothing makes the collection tagging as neat as the combination of the above two ...... and it takes just one dedicated night to tag all your music collection. Much better than banging your head to find a complete automated solution. :)

+1 as I do the same ;)

I use Wikipedia / Amazon for album art most of the time, because it's easy and the file is usually smaller in size for embedded art. As for embedding different album art for each song, Nine Inch Nails' "Ghosts I-IV" ("The Slip" too?) had such a feature where each song had a different art associated with it. But, I don't do that myself.

I organize by <Genre> \ <Artist> \ <Year> - <Album> \ <Track No> - <Title> in PC (like Jazz\Miles Davis\1959 - A Kind of Blue\01 - So What.flac). I skip the <Genre> top level folder for portable players. I use Genre just for easier navigation, so don't care if it's accurate or not :indifferent14:.

When I started with proper organization a couple of years ago, it took sometime to get going. But nowadays, I do the tagging right after ripping (EAC gets most of the basic tags most of the time anyways).

When all of you talk about genre, I want to know one thing, how do you segregate Indian movie songs in terms of genre. Just group it as OST or segregate the same into folk/classic/rock etc.

Also for Indian movie songs, what/who is kept is as artist? Is it singer or actor. I assume music director details are stored in composer field of ID3 TAG.

I don't have Indian film music in my collection. Makes my job easier ;)

But, I'd use something on the lines of OST\<Language - Optional>\<Film>\<Track No> - <Song> format for Indian movies. Otherwise, it gets a lot complicated.

I don't have Indian film music in my collection. Makes my job easier ;)

But, I'd use something on the lines of OST\<Language - Optional>\<Film>\<Track No> - <Song> format for Indian movies. Otherwise, it gets a lot complicated.

Thanks.

Once again nice set of links. Thanks.

Mediamonkey (MM) is the way to go. It is free and highly versatile. You can view songs according to their tag properties. You could also automatically rename, move, organize files using MM. Moreover you can set winamp as the player in MM. All the functions you are searching for available in it. Here is how i organized my 16k+ mp3 songs.

1. Do not put all your songs in one folder. It will make loading of the folder very slow.
2. Set aside a dedicated partition for songs
3. Create folders for languages (I created English, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Devotional etc.)
4. Create folders for albums/movies (You can create folders named 'A', 'B' etc and put album/movie folders there)
5. Put songs in the corresponding folder
6. Rename song file names. Track numbers are not necessary. Capitalise all the first characters to have better look.
7. Tag them properly. It is very important. Use mp3tag or MM for this. Interested fields are Title, Artist, Album, Year, Genre, Composer, Lyricist.
8. You will need to search the internet for indian album or movie details. google will come handy.
9. For malayalam songs you can visit MalayalaSangeetham | MSI | MMdb | ??????????? ?????????????? to get album details. (very nice. They have compiled almost all malayalam movies there! I think no such database is available for other indian languages)
10. Use '/' between multiple artists, lyricist, composers, genres etc in a song if using mp3tag.
11. Use '; ' between multiple artists, lyricist, composers, genres etc in a song if using MM. (Actually MM puts "/" which is not visible)
12. Scan your entire collection using MM.
13. You can add album art to mp3 tag or the folder using mp3tag or MM. To get album arts use google image search.
14. You could also arrange songs according to their tag values using MM automatically, if you have already put all your songs in one folder or they are in various locations. You don't need to create all the folders manually. Pls reply if you want to know more how this is done in MM.
15. Most importantly you would need plenty of time and a willingness to edit the tags.

Its been 3+ years that I've been using Linux...so can't say or comment much on Windows Apps...On linux...I used Exaile, Rythmbox, Songbird, Amarok and currently I am fixed on Guayadeque Media Player...

Whatever music I acquire...I simply divide them as per language...English, Hindi, Classical, Devotional and Telugu..and put the music folders/albums/discographies in these folders. GMP does rest about indexing and downloading cover art {Google/Amazon/Last fm} for library....lyrics from lyricswikia and artist info from Last fm....I believe almost all players on windows have these features..I am completely satisfied with GMP and its features....might not help the OP but any Linux users may find my post useful.

cheers.

Mediamonkey (MM) is the way to go. It is free and highly versatile. You can view songs according to their tag properties. You could also automatically rename, move, organize files using MM. Moreover you can set winamp as the player in MM. All the functions you are searching for available in it. Here is how i organized my 16k+ mp3 songs.

1. Do not put all your songs in one folder. It will make loading of the folder very slow.
2. Set aside a dedicated partition for songs
3. Create folders for languages (I created English, Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Devotional etc.)
4. Create folders for albums/movies (You can create folders named 'A', 'B' etc and put album/movie folders there)
5. Put songs in the corresponding folder
6. Rename song file names. Track numbers are not necessary. Capitalise all the first characters to have better look.
7. Tag them properly. It is very important. Use mp3tag or MM for this. Interested fields are Title, Artist, Album, Year, Genre, Composer, Lyricist.
8. You will need to search the internet for indian album or movie details. google will come handy.
9. For malayalam songs you can visit MalayalaSangeetham | MSI | MMdb | ??????????? ?????????????* to get album details. (very nice. They have compiled almost all malayalam movies there! I think no such database is available for other indian languages)
10. Use '/' between multiple artists, lyricist, composers, genres etc in a song if using mp3tag.
11. Use '; ' between multiple artists, lyricist, composers, genres etc in a song if using MM. (Actually MM puts "/" which is not visible)
12. Scan your entire collection using MM.
13. You can add album art to mp3 tag or the folder using mp3tag or MM. To get album arts use google image search.
14. You could also arrange songs according to their tag values using MM automatically, if you have already put all your songs in one folder or they are in various locations. You don't need to create all the folders manually. Pls reply if you want to know more how this is done in MM.
15. Most importantly you would need plenty of time and a willingness to edit the tags.

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

I had to organize my mp3 collection and ended up using tuneup media. Its an itunes plugin that does a phenomenal job of listening and tagging your songs. Of the 7K songs I had, 6.5K got accurately tagged. Mediamonkey works better for sorting, but before sorting the tags need to be in and tuneup media could help

Its been 3+ years that I've been using Linux...so can't say or comment much on Windows Apps...On linux...I used Exaile, Rythmbox, Songbird, Amarok and currently I am fixed on Guayadeque Media Player...

Whatever music I acquire...I simply divide them as per language...English, Hindi, Classical, Devotional and Telugu..and put the music folders/albums/discographies in these folders. GMP does rest about indexing and downloading cover art {Google/Amazon/Last fm} for library....lyrics from lyricswikia and artist info from Last fm....I believe almost all players on windows have these features..I am completely satisfied with GMP and its features....might not help the OP but any Linux users may find my post useful.

cheers.

I use linux extensively. Songbird is one of my favourites, and all my current tags were made using songbird. Will have to check about Guayadeque Media Player, as I have never used it.

Which flavour of Linux are your using?

When all of you talk about genre, I want to know one thing, how do you segregate Indian movie songs in terms of genre. Just group it as OST or segregate the same into folk/classic/rock etc.

Also for Indian movie songs, what/who is kept is as artist? Is it singer or actor. I assume music director details are stored in composer field of ID3 TAG.

The Idea of genre is not suitable for Indian movie songs. I use Hindi Film, Hindi Album, Tamil Film etc. If needed I can put in another genre like dance, classical etc. using media monkey as it supports multiple genres using the ; separator.
For artists just type the singer names separated by ; Each will be treated as independent artists. There is another field Album Artists which also is irrelevant for movie songs. You can put this as empty or 'Various'

The Idea of genre is not suitable for Indian movie songs. I use Hindi Film, Hindi Album, Tamil Film etc. If needed I can put in another genre like dance, classical etc. using media monkey as it supports multiple genres using the ; separator.
For artists just type the singer names separated by ; Each will be treated as independent artists. There is another field Album Artists which also is irrelevant for movie songs. You can put this as empty or 'Various'

I use Album Artist for having details on movie stars

I use Album Artist for having details on movie stars

Bro Jeya raj,

I have been following your thread with keen interest as I am using the Vortexbox - fedora based application. I find that Vortexbox is an absolutely effortless solution for english albums but not for Indian music...cant believe that it is FREE!..
Wondering how you are dealing with the Indian albums once you have converted them into FLAC/MP3/Alac! My concern is related with, file organisation ID3 tags and album art for Indian Music only.
Thanks

Vortexbox rips and then tag songs,.....it does not tag already ripped songs or MP3 ..... does it..????

Bro Jeya raj,

I have been following your thread with keen interest as I am using the Vortexbox - fedora based application. I find that Vortexbox is an absolutely effortless solution for english albums but not for Indian music...cant believe that it is FREE!..
Wondering how you are dealing with the Indian albums once you have converted them into FLAC/MP3/Alac! My concern is related with, file organisation ID3 tags and album art for Indian Music only.
Thanks

Here, I meant ID3 tag in mp3 files. I used media monkey (sometimes winamp) to do the job. Both in win7.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back