How to play Media Wirelessly from external 2tb hdd

varunsareen

Greetings!
I am very new to this forum and friend of mine recommended me to this and so far it has been fun going through couple of interesting forums.

Anyhow, i've been trying to figure out how to play media content on my external hdd through my wifi router on my tv and have had no luck.
I dont want to use the USB cord to connect to the TV as probably i might have to connect a wifi dongle on it and unfortunately i only have one usb port in the tv. Also i dont want to use my laptop or desktop for this purpose.

Below are the components/ devices i own so far for this purpose.

32lv3730 LG LED Smart TV
D-Link Wifi router with USB storage port at the back
2 TB seagate external hdd
I am in the process of purchasing the wifi dongle for my tv (probably by end of this month)

I've been able to access the hdd on my laptop by connecting the hdd at the back of the router. However i am skeptical if my tv would be able to do the same once i've the wifi dongle connected to the TV. If not, is there an additional device or component i need to purchase so that my tv can detect the media off of my hdd through wifi?

Network media players could achieve this.
Players like Asus oplay or WD TV should do this I guess...

Thanks Rohitmusic. But how do you reckon the set up should be?
Hdd to router
Router to nmplayer
Tv picks up media through the nmp over wifi?

Thanks Rohitmusic. But how do you reckon the set up should be?
Hdd to router
Router to nmplayer
Tv picks up media through the nmp over wifi?

HDD -> media player using USB input -> TV using HDMI

I am using Asus media player connected to Sony bravia HDMI and HDD connected to media player USB input.

I have not explored but media player can access media available on network also. That access depends of media player capability. Some have WiFi, some have wired support and some don't support networking.
The easiest is connect HDD directly to media player and connect media player output to TV using HDMI or your desired way.

Hooking up wirelessly is no big deal as long as you have the right gears for that. The issue here is, what sized file you want to stream? cause audio files no issue and Movie files of upto maximum of 3gb size could only be streamed seamlessly without stuttering.

So be clear before you spend on going for high speed / bandwidth routers and trans receivers. Cause I know every one will end up doing this before discovering / concluding to the point I mentioned above.

I tried streaming to my OPPO BDP105, Popcorn Hour C200, C300 & A400, Western digital, ASUS, Extremer HD nothing worked as the limiting factor here is the capabilities of the media player / DLNA TVs.

R. Balagopalan

I have been using Nero Media home software to play movies wirelessly both on my LG TV as well as on my Panasonic blu ray player connected to my projector.

I have even played DVD-9 files without any issues.

You need a 5ghz wireless router (netflix) with usb in and a high end internet connection, you are done. It will cost u 13-14k, else seagate have a battery inbuilt wifi 1 tb hdd where u dnt need a streamer. It will cost u around 12k.

To stream from you HDD connected to router with your existing setup, buy a media player with Gigabit Ethernet support (looked at your TV specs, they do not seem to have wired LAN port, only wifi over USB is supported) and hook it to your router with a wired lan connection and hook the media player over HDMI to TV. This will be the safest and must guaranteed way to enjoy HD movies of any size on your TV.

Dont spend on wireless 5GHz devices that much, I would recommend this setup over buying a wifi dongle which I am sure will cost no less than 2K whereas spending another 4K will get you this media player.

Hooking up wirelessly is no big deal as long as you have the right gears for that. The issue here is, what sized file you want to stream? cause audio files no issue and Movie files of upto maximum of 3gb size could only be streamed seamlessly without stuttering.

Are you sure about the 3GB limit ? Using a basic N300 Belkin router (not dual band), I can stream 720p files (upto 7-8 GB) smoothly without stuttering.

The few 1080p files I have, I have seen buffering very rarely. But I dont have too many 1080p files, so it maybe a sampling error

For my setup, I have all my content stored in a headless Win7 machine (I fondly call it a server) and I play it on my TV using a HTPC.

Are you sure about the 3GB limit ? Using a basic N300 Belkin router (not dual band), I can stream 720p files (upto 7-8 GB) smoothly without stuttering.

The few 1080p files I have, I have seen buffering very rarely. But I dont have too many 1080p files, so it maybe a sampling error

For my setup, I have all my content stored in a headless Win7 machine (I fondly call it a server) and I play it on my TV using a HTPC.

well 3GB limit is subjective and probably true for rbala-s home. This can be better or worse from Home to Home depending on several other factors like nearby interference, walls in line of sight between router and receiver (HTPC) and of course the connect speed between router and receipient

I have my Android media player (Minix Neo 5 mini) connected to TV over HDMI and the 1 TB HDD (Support for 2 TB available) connected to this media player.

The player has customized XBMC (Minix flavor) and the player can play 720p movies (3-5 GB) in mkv format without a sweat. I can even use internet on my TV. The media player has wifi built into it and the router I have is Belkin 150 something b/g/n.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back