How to play mkv atmos file

My TV is LG UK6470PLC if I download the movie torrents with Dolby atmos audio, and if I play that movie on my TV's media player (with my 1TB portable HDD) and if I use my TV's fiber optic output to my AV receiver (ONKYO TX NR 686) can I get Dolby atmos sound? In this order, is TV need to support Dolby atmos format or TV will only transfer atmos format audio Signal to my onkyo receiver, I confused. Any experience guys?

If you will use TV's optical out, then you will get only Dolby Digital to AVR as well when you use HDMI-ARC as they are limited to lossless audio..

If you use an Android TV box (which can play BR Rips from external Hard disks), directly plugged to AVR thru HDMI, then you will get Atmos / Dts X bit-stream..

If you will use TV's optical out, then you will get only Dolby Digital to AVR as well when you use HDMI-ARC as they are limited to lossless audio..

If you use an Android TV box (which can play BR Rips from external Hard disks), directly plugged to AVR thru HDMI, then you will get Atmos / Dts X bit-stream..

Ok thank you, so it means TV's sound format capability also important for transferring audio formats/codes.

Can you suggest some Android TV box brand/models?

Ok thank you, so it means TV's sound format capability also important for transferring audio formats/codes.

Yes.. Right now this is a limitation with HDMI-ARC funtionality.. HDMI- eRC is supposed to send lossless audio back to AVR, though this will take some more time for consumer audio to absorb this feature..

Can you suggest some Android TV box brand/models?

Id your budget is less than 5K, look at any generic Android TV boxes on amazon.in with varying hardware capabilities..

Ex - 3K budget - https://www.amazon.in/JT-Android-Sm...qid=1547218553&sr=8-3&keywords=Android+TV+box

They should be able to read External HD upto 1 TB comfortably..

If you want a certified Android TV OS, then Xiaomi MI box 3 (or) S are the only models at approx 8K - https://www.amazon.in/Linkcon-Andro...&qid=1547218697&sr=8-1&keywords=Xiaomi+MI+box

Xiaomi Mi Box seems very expensive.. the 3K box would play most video codecs for FHD BR Rips and passthrough HD audio codec to AVR..

Once by UHD setup is ready, it will be installed in my living room, but my PC will be in my bedroom. I am not sure if the HDMI output from PC can be connected to TV/AVR due to the distance and the problem involved in taking HDMI through concealed wiring.

You need good players like nvidia shield and 5Gz router with excellent network coverage.

You need good players like nvidia shield and 5Gz router with excellent network coverage.
Thanks for your response.
nvidia shield does looks like the go to device for playing 4k contents. I will add it to my wishlist. thanks

I will invest on a gigabit router only if it is really required, otherwise I could connect the CAT6 cable.

I really wish I could extend the HDMI out of my PC to the AVR/TV, for the ease of software features and ease of use. Also I can show off the atmos speakers with the atmos enabled games ;).
If you come across anyway to extend the HDMi through concealed wiring, kindly let me know.

2.4 GHz has better coverage than 5 GHz indoors. 5 GHz doesn't like brick walls.

True. But, even 1080p gonna stutter in 2.4ghz with HD audio. That is why 5GHz is very important. Nvidia shield lists that as requirement.

If you come across anyway to extend the HDMi through concealed wiring, kindly let me know.

If you have ethernet port, you can use that as well. That can be used to extend hdmi connection. But, if you are not ready to rewiring, 5GHz is the only choice. That to with excellent coverage. Even good coverage will stutter. So, plan multiple wireless repeaters if needed.

Hi again people

In last month I made some changes with my HT system and add dolby atmos complete speaker set. Now everything is ready for 4k movies with Dolby atmos and DTS sound. (at least I thought everything ready...) I download whole my archive movies again in x265 UHD format. But I realized that I need a media player device which can passthrough atmos and dts to my onkyo receiver (it support atmos and dts) people mostly suggest play x265 uhd 4k files from pc but I don't want to follow this solution, I just need a media player device which I can use my 1TB HD with that. People mostly use Nvidia shield but even sound passthrough is perfect, Nvidia shield video is not so quality.

So that I'm still looking for a media player device which can passthrough atmos and dts sound to reciever without any problem, and support x265 UHD 4K video files (from my 1tb HD)

Do you think I made a wrong decision and downloaded x265 2160px HDR movies instead of x264? If I had x264 1080px movies, everything could be easier?

Thanx in advance!

Hi again people

In last month I made some changes with my HT system and add dolby atmos complete speaker set. Now everything is ready for 4k movies with Dolby atmos and DTS sound. (at least I thought everything ready...) I download whole my archive movies again in x265 UHD format. But I realized that I need a media player device which can passthrough atmos and dts to my onkyo receiver (it support atmos and dts) people mostly suggest play x265 uhd 4k files from pc but I don't want to follow this solution, I just need a media player device which I can use my 1TB HD with that. People mostly use Nvidia shield but even sound passthrough is perfect, Nvidia shield video is not so quality.

So that I'm still looking for a media player device which can passthrough atmos and dts sound to reciever without any problem, and support x265 UHD 4K video files (from my 1tb HD)

Do you think I made a wrong decision and downloaded x265 2160px HDR movies instead of x264? If I had x264 1080px movies, everything could be easier?

Thanx in advance!
If you have the 4k HDR supported tv or planning to purchase one in near future, then its make sense. Also x265 encoded rips will save lot of disk space.

If you have the 4k HDR supported tv or planning to purchase one in near future, then its make sense. Also x265 encoded rips will save lot of disk space.

Yes my current TV support HDR. But I am not sure about this detail :

Which one easy to find ; media player devices support x264 or x265? Or all media players support x265 and x264 with Dolby atmos and latest dts format?

Can you suggest me a media player device except Nvidia shield?

Yes my current TV support HDR. But I am not sure about this detail :

Which one easy to find ; media player devices support x264 or x265? Or all media players support x265 and x264 with Dolby atmos and latest dts format?

Can you suggest me a media player device except Nvidia shield?
I've been playing all my HDR collection directly on my TV Sony x90f. No external player. It handles everything i throw at it. My HT gear is just TV + Soundbar simple :)
So I can't comment about other media players. Coz i've never used one before.

Nvidia shield is one stop solution. It has very extensive support from both developers and OEM. However its much pricier than other players.

Hi Guys, I have got a basic NAS device for a long time. Its xTreamer e-Trayz. It used to have dnla I guess but the support is gone now. It has upnp and few other protocol that I can use to stream movies from the single 2TB hdd I have on this NAS device. I have recently got an Apple TV4K. I'm using VLC app on ATV4K to stream some old content from this eTrayz device. I'm yet to test the 4k/DV/DA content over network, using ATV4K device. Does anyone know if the VLC app on ATV4K would be able to stream that from eTrayz device over upnp?
ATV4K is great at streaming DV/DA from well known streaming service and hence the decision to go for it. Recently, after getting a 4K OLED tv, I'm exhausting my FUP pretty soon :) I'm thinking if I can download some 4k/DV/DA movies and watch them from local media, the quality will be better than streaming service where it'll be compressed.

Does ATV4K got any app/ability to stream 4K/DV/DA movies from this eTrayz NAS device?
Any other options I can use to stream local 4K/DV/DA movies? I'd like to buy nvidia shield as a last resort, but I guess even this master streamer is missing DolbyVision streaming if I remember it correct!

If cost is not the concern go for" Zidoo " .I personally prefer Zidoo Z10 compared to Nvidia shield.Sold my Nvidia shield to a forum member. Not because of video quality is dull, I always feel something is missing in Shield /it is not matching with my requirement somehow.

All,

I have couple of downloaded mkv movie files with dolby atmos audio track. Each movie is around 25GB in size and I am trying to play it in my HT, without any positive result.
Tried it in Pioneer BDP180 through USB, but it said the format is not playable
Tried it in samsung BR player, and its the same result
Tried to play the same in ASUS O!Play Mini HD Media Player. I am getting sound, but no picture is coming
Tried it in xbox, but its not even recognizing this file

However, it is playable in my laptop without any issue, but I dont want to connect my laptop to HT whenever I want to play similar movies. Any thoughts on a compatible budget media player which can handle this, or am I doing anything wrong? I have an unused RpI3, in case if it can help anyhow
Hi guys it is my first post ever but I will try to write what I know regarding playing Dolby Atmos mkv files. First I would like to get answer if anyone is able to play them using USB. If that is possible please indicate what hardware is able to play them as multichannel. I've tried many combinations and nothing plays them for me. I have 3 blue ray players including Sony UltraHD UBP-X800M2 according to spec it should play almost everything but it does not plays Dolby Atmos mkv from USB it is no audio at all message says file not supported. I've contacted Sony service and they told me that blue ray payer won't play any Atmos mkv from USB. In my opinion that is done by purpose by all manufactures. Explanation can be easy you can download movies from torrents but you can’t play them as Dolby Atmos. My question is – why people rip movies as Dolby Atmos if others won’t be able to play them it is just a waste of time. As I mention my Sony does not have audio out at all, but when I play the same file on cheap android media box I have audio but of course it is only 2 channel stereo but at least it is audio. I searched Aliexpress and I found that Dolby Atmos can be played from mkv files and USB according to specs by Egreat blue ray players but they are very expensive from about $600 up They have use only hard drive and you can't play blue ray disks as media. Every Dolby Atmos plays on VLC player on computer but I have only 2.1 speakers. As I say at the beginning if someone is able to play Dolby Atmos mkv please pass that information to others.Thanks

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back