How to play mkv atmos file

ItsMe

All,

I have couple of downloaded mkv movie files with dolby atmos audio track. Each movie is around 25GB in size and I am trying to play it in my HT, without any positive result.
Tried it in Pioneer BDP180 through USB, but it said the format is not playable
Tried it in samsung BR player, and its the same result
Tried to play the same in ASUS O!Play Mini HD Media Player. I am getting sound, but no picture is coming
Tried it in xbox, but its not even recognizing this file

However, it is playable in my laptop without any issue, but I dont want to connect my laptop to HT whenever I want to play similar movies. Any thoughts on a compatible budget media player which can handle this, or am I doing anything wrong? I have an unused RpI3, in case if it can help anyhow

All,

I have couple of downloaded mkv movie files with dolby atmos audio track. Each movie is around 25GB in size and I am trying to play it in my HT, without any positive result.
Tried to play the same in ASUS O!Play Mini HD Media Player. I am getting sound, but no picture is coming

However, it is playable in my laptop without any issue, but I dont want to connect my laptop to HT whenever I want to play similar movies. Any thoughts on a compatible budget media player which can handle this, or am I doing anything wrong? I have an unused RpI3, in case if it can help anyhow

You mentioned that ASUS O Mini does play the file but no video, my guess is that video encoding may be H.265 or something else. In case it is not H.264 you may use a converter to get it to H.264, ASUS will then be able to play both video and audio. Hope this helps.

If you have External Hard disk with digital movies, get an Android TV box (between 3 - 5K) that will bitsream to AVR..
Thanks - any recommendation ?

Thats huge size.. Is it for a FHD resolution + Atmos?..
2k + atmos I think

You mentioned that ASUS O Mini does play the file but no video, my guess is that video encoding may be H.265 or something else. In case it is not H.264 you may use a converter to get it to H.264, ASUS will then be able to play both video and audio. Hope this helps.
Ok, let me try. Any recommendation for a good converter?

Last edited:
Thanks - any recommendation ?

Check this - https://www.amazon.in/HK1-Mini-Andr...9&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=android+tv+box&psc=1

(or) this - https://www.amazon.in/JT-Android-Am...qid=1535620956&sr=8-3&keywords=android+tv+box

Both of these should be fine to play FHD Rips in x264/x265 and bitstream Atmos / Dts X to AVR.. Also make sure that your external HD is not more than 1 TB capacity.. Please google for product reviews on youtube to see exactly the # of ports and connectivity.. Product description on amazon.in might be incorrect..

All,

You through any file format on Pioneer BDP-180 it plays easily. Infact I've never faced any issue with MKV file whether it's with Dolby atmos or Dolby True HD or any other audio format and file size doesn't matter. Btw, I've been using BDP180 for more than 18months.

Thanks a lot for all responses. Let me try to convert the file to H.264 and see. Else will have to go for an android box
@chandu2106 - BDP180 is showing the error that it cannot play the file. Have you tried H.265 codecs?

If pioneer is connected to atmos ready AVR,then it should play as bdp will bitstream atmos audio.l have used bdp150 and sr 6011 plays it well.Yamaha 667, Sr5006 wouldnt.Laptop on other hand decodes audio with certain codecs and old avr can play it.

If it's H.265 then the Nvidia Shield is recommended. I've tried many Android TV boxes and all fell short. If you plan to build a 4K collection in H.265 then get the Shield.

If it's H.264 then any modern h/w will play if, even 4K.

All,

Asus O Player Mini has certain limitation in decoding some video/audio files including H.265 codec. MKV is a container which incorporates audio, video, subtitles in a single file.

I discarded O Player Mini solely because of its limitations and am using Himedia Q10 Pro since the last 2 years. ALL files and ALL formats play without any fuss including 45GB Untouched BDRips, REMs, 4K, 2K, 1080p etc.

If you are using an AVR, try keeping HDMI output setting in your O Player Mini as "Bitstream" or RAW so the signal is passed on to the AVR without trying to decode. Not sure if it will work but you can try.

If you are using an AVR, try keeping HDMI output setting in your O Player Mini as "Bitstream" or RAW so the signal is passed on to the AVR without trying to decode. Not sure if it will work but you can try.
Thank you... let me try to check that and see.
I discarded O Player Mini solely because of its limitations and am using Himedia Q10 Pro since the last 2 years. ALL files and ALL formats play without any fuss including 45GB Untouched BDRips, REMs, 4K, 2K, 1080p etc.
Thats almost 10k ... not sure whether it make sense to invest in one more player . Let me check

wd tv live hub media player which I have player similar kind of movies you can opt for it iam also planning to sell it will post soon on for sale classifieds

a related Question : how to play BD_R rips? Those huge files.. 45-50GB per movie.. I tried playing it one time, but the video skips..

a related Question : how to play BD_R rips? Those huge files.. 45-50GB per movie.. I tried playing it one time, but the video skips..

45 - 50GB size is huge for a single movie.. Is it a 4K file?.. From which device are you playing the BR Rips?..

HTPC..I regularly download the 25-30Gb BD-rips.. and use MPC_HC to play them. But there is an even higher category of files like the BD-ISO etc..basically BLu Ray dumps.. I want to know which player can play them

HTPC..I regularly download the 25-30Gb BD-rips.. and use MPC_HC to play them. But there is an even higher category of files like the BD-ISO etc..basically BLu Ray dumps.. I want to know which player can play them

Ok.. I have very hardly played ISO files.. I had an Avatar ISO file around 47GB, played it from my HTPC using Kodi.. It was able to play it.. This was abt 4 - 5 yrs back.. These days, i choose lossless audio files, with OK video types.. around 15GB..

I assume MPC-HC should be equally good as Kodi when it comes to files playback.. Anyways, try Kodi with an ISO file & check if it stutters..

In case file is 4K, it is very difficult to get it play smoothly as everything in the chain should be 4K capable including Source (BDP/ Media player), Receiver, display unit (TV/ projector) and 4K capable HDMI cables. BDP180 seems to have 4K upscaling capability but not the actual 4K content support. Not sure about other equipments in your chain.
I am still trying to figure out playing 4K content while everything in my chain is 4K except I have not been able to check the HDMI cable. Too lazy actually.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and new to the 4k world. I was used to watching movies in my bed room on my desktop monitor @ 1080p.
Now I have decided to buy a new 4k tv/ projector with small dolby atmos setup in my living room. The update might take another 6 months due to financial constraints.

Meanwhile I am updating my 1080p collection(BD ripts) to UHD and learning things around it. Mostly I download UHD- HDR-HEVC 10-H.265-Dobly atmos versions (and Dolby Vision if available), essentially in the range of 50-80GB.

Once by UHD setup is ready, it will be installed in my living room, but my PC will be in my bedroom. I am not sure if the HDMI output from PC can be connected to TV/AVR due to the distance and the problem involved in taking HDMI through concealed wiring.

Few question I have in my mind:
1) What are the other options I will have, to play these BD Rips once I upgrade my setup? a new player is required and if required what type of player?

2) The videos in UHD doesnt look good on my monitor now (probably because my desktop monitor is now non HDR but the video content is HDR). Am I downloading the right files mentioned in highlight, or is there anything else I specifically need to look for (to improve quality or compatibility) ?

3) Other than using HDMI, what are the other options to connect PC to AVR ? Wireless/optics?

My TV is LG UK6470PLC if I download the movie torrents with Dolby atmos audio, and if I play that movie on my TV's media player (with my 1TB portable HDD) and if I use my TV's fiber optic output to my AV receiver (ONKYO TX NR 686) can I get Dolby atmos sound? In this order, is TV need to support Dolby atmos format or TV will only transfer atmos format audio Signal to my onkyo receiver, I confused. Any experience guys?

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back