How to remove duplicates and create a library list?

Vcash

Hi Folks,
As some of you may know, I have bought a Zotac HTPC and I am prepping to upload all my content onto it (Via external hard drives) but before I do that, I would like to do three things with my movies and TV shows:

1) Remove duplicates - I have SD and HD overlaps and would like to remove the SD content - Is there a media manager that can list all my movies, sort them and then let me delete content that I do not want.
2) Standardize the naming convention across all files and folders.
3) Export a list (Prefer .xls) with all the movie names and file specifications.

Is there any media manager that does this well? Appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks,
V

There are a number of tools that identify duplicate files within a given file system. It can be done at various levels of sophistication from just looking at the file names to examining the contents. I believe there are tools that are even "media aware," ie they can take files with different sizes, different checksums, but determine that the content is the same. I remember google revealing this to me a couple of years back, when I was seeking a Windows tool for the purpose. I don't think the very sophisticated ones were free, and that might be why I didn't go ahead with any of them at the time.

Now, in Linux, I use a tool called fslint. It may not go as far as I just mentioned, but it is able to recognise identical files with different file names. It is amazingly fast, too. By far the longest part of the process is going through its results and deciding which to keep and which to delete.

Thanks guys. I cleaned out the duplicates manually! I now need a good cataloguing software that can create XL lists. I could not find this feature in Media Monkey.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back