How to take mother along to Germany - going on work visa

Tanoj

Hi friends,

i need your suggestions or you may point me in right direction ... , i am being sent to Germany for a year, i wish to take my mother along

what is the process, whom can i contact to get more clarity ?

I already wrote mail to internal deputation team and waiting for their response, however i am not sure if they can help me with this regard

Regards

Tanoj

European countries have different norms for bringing in senior citizen. You need to pay very high rate of insurance in the first place. You can only bring her through tourist visa for 90 days. Since you have only a one year work visa this might be the only option you have. Also believe me, your mother would not like the place one bit as she would not know to speak German/French. It is extremely difficult for senior citizens from India as we mostly socialize and she would find it extremely difficult if you are not around.

I agree with Mathan with a proviso. Some countries like UK will not issue dependent visas for seniors above a certain age-I came across one such case recently-I know the people personally. In addition without proper insurance cover the risk for a visitor for any stay is very high. You can take insurance here for a short visit on a tourist visa, like overseas Mediclaim,but this is to be factored into any overseas visit.

Schengen visa requirements are quite detailed. Just provide all the relevant documents and you should do fine. (All the visa guys want proof is the proof of funds that the visitor can handle when they come there as well as the accommodation costs, ties with the home country that the visitor will go back once they are done rather than overstay, so any house documents in their name would be ideal as well). Health insurance is an absolute requirement, do not cheapen out with minimum coverage and ensure you declare any pre-existing conditions upfront in your application.
Go to Germany, wait for couple of months atleast, before asking your mother to come. Highly unlikely the visa guys would be that kind if you apply for her visa along with you.
Best time to visit these countries is from May to September, after that a senior citizen may feel the cold and would resent it.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back