How Well Can You Hear Audio Quality?

Do share what you used for playback
As I understand the differences are more apparent with more resolving and higher quality setups

Do share what you used for playback
As I understand the differences are more apparent with more resolving and higher quality setups
Right. The equipment matters a lot to identify the differences. However, I used headphone (Sennheiser HD 4.40) with my PC, so it was comparatively easier to notice the details. But even then it was pretty close between 320 kbps and WAV. I'm not sure whether I would have noticed it if I had played it in my speakers.

There is no way to tell, I just tried on my mobile and it is hard to tell. All the samples hear the same . I agree the best way is using headphones, near to ear is better. More the distance many things come into play.

I did this test a while ago when I saw it on a youtube video, forgot the guy's name but he put a girl to test. The girl was supposedly musically trained and had perfect pitch. I believe she got over 80% right.

However I got 100% right, simply because - there is a slightly longer loading time in all WAV files :p, the files were pretty close and hard to tell, but I am just letting you know how to ace it. I tried to test organically the next time, but once I knew I knew so I will never know.

Another one if anyone is interested a lot more cheating unfriendly :) this is however extremely long and I have never had the patience to sit thru this whole thing, but if you got it go for it.

Last edited:
A fundamental question - Does it require the ability to differentiate SQ in a A/B test in order to benefit from higher SQ while listening to your favourite music in a non-testing environment? I am not so sure. Good sounding music will have its effect on the listener, even without them realising it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fundamental question I want to ask. Does it require the ability to differentiate SQ in a A/B test in order to benefit from higher SQ while listening to your favourite music, in a non-testing environment? I am not so sure. Good sounding music will have its effect on the listener, even without them realising it.
This is a hugely debatable question isnt it ? Just like in any field - only passionate would probably find the difference or the worthiness in SQ or the related gear. My kids are happy with their mp3 players / Smart iPhones etc - and they often ask me - why do you spend this much money on these units ? The icing on the cake is when you dear wife says - so - "whats the difference now?? LOL

This is a hugely debatable question isnt it ? Just like in any field - only passionate would probably find the difference or the worthiness in SQ or the related gear. My kids are happy with their mp3 players / Smart iPhones etc - and they often ask me - why do you spend this much money on these units ? The icing on the cake is when you dear wife says - so - "whats the difference now?? LOL
That’s not quite what I meant. I am saying SQ can improve the quality of listening experience even if one isn’t consciously aware of the exact difference. Somewhat like filtered water keeps your body safer even if you can’t make it out from tap water in a A/B test.

That’s not quite what I meant. I am saying SQ can improve the quality of listening experience even if one isn’t consciously aware of the exact difference. Somewhat like filtered water keeps your body safer even if you can’t make it out from tap water in a A/B test.
my bad ‍♂️.... but yes - totally agree. Better SQ does makes it more enjoyable - subconsciously

but wouldn’t you agree - some people especially audiophiles can easily pick out a well recorded track with good SQ ?

but wouldn’t you agree - some people especially audiophiles can easily pick out a well recorded track with good SQ ?
With resolving gear and keen listening, yes. The probability increases further if you are listening to a favourite track over its entire length.

Back