How well do you think this (18-year-old) article aged?

k-pad

On the contrary, the Internet saved both Movies & Music industry via Streaming. :)
Absolutely! :D

Fully agree with the internet part, but the streaming part is a bit difficult to quantify in terms of movies and music.

Today, one could mostly find any music they are looking for in any of the mainstream music streamers (even in HQ), failing which there is always YouTube.

With movies, however, we all pay a few thousands a year, but still have to look at alt routes to get many a classic or even a new movie that we like.

It's just my personal opinion that mobile internet was the biggest game changer, beyond streaming services.

And streaming will never achieve with movies what it has achieved with music.

Would love to hear otherwise.

During the Pandemic, streaming proved its worth to the Movie industry. Major studios like Disney/HBO released their movies (Mulan/Wonder Women) directly on their Streaming Platform (of course, for an additional fee). If mobile internet saved the Music industry, it's the High-Speed Internet for Movies. :)

Fully agree with the internet part, but the streaming part is a bit difficult to quantify in terms of movies and music.

Today, one could mostly find any music they are looking for in any of the mainstream music streamers (even in HQ), failing which there is always YouTube.

With movies, however, we all pay a few thousands a year, but still have to look at alt routes to get many a classic or even a new movie that we like.

It's just my personal opinion that mobile internet was the biggest game changer, beyond streaming services.

It might.

The convenience streaming allows is a big plus. I am a proponent of streaming.

But the "determined" can source any movie. But quality of the "sourced" movie is still questionable

Streaming will definitely improve. Especially the audio quality.

Streaming quality of video is going to be improved as you said. But currently I found none of the audio quality especially atmos not reaching 50% of the quality of bluray disc.. Played the latest flicks in OTT plus Bluray for comparison and huge difference.

Making internet the scapegoat in an article is easy. But today, if anyone wants a CD/B-Ray/LP - internet is the only saviour!
While nobody can deny the threat by piracy, music and video discs were exorbitantly priced when those were readily available. A B-Ray disc would sometimes cost 2k+. A CD would sometimes cost INR 500+(including HMV CDs which would consist MP3 music upscaled to so called CD quality).
The music/movie industry could easily make downloading legal with a reasonable charge for various quality. That they didn't change with time is something which they should think of. But, both the industry and customer are losing out here. The customer has always had to make an effort to get the content(legally as well) rather than the other way round!

Last edited:

I am not so sure, it of course varies from person to person but even before the pandemic, although personally ,except for some those really large screen spectaculars, would rather wait for movies to be on OTT !

From what i've seen amongst most people that I interact with, they are usually subscribed to a multitude of OTT video platforms whereas only one music service (not talking about either the audiophiles or cinephiles, just regular people). The reason, as you pointed out, is that a good music service such as Apple Music or Spotify have a library which usually encapsulates most tracks out there unlike video platforms.

+1 to this.. Despite subscribing to Disney+ Hotstar/Amazon Prime/Netflix/ YT Premium, I am unable to find some eternal classics that I watched through my childhood such as Ben-Hur, Quo Vadis, The Ten Commandments, Murder by Death, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang etc etc. Thank God Prime Video has the James Bond collection as a consolation. If I ever find anything on YT they want me to buy or rent it. What a shame. :mad:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back