HT Consultaion/Advice request

s2nseek

Hi mighty forum,

After 3 years of grueling search for a plot to build my dream hut, finally I was able to kick start on it couple of months back and the foundation work is complete. Currently wall work is in progress.

The architect has allocated WxLxH 20'3"x18'6"x8'9" room. I know it is not an ideal size for HT per rule of thumb per w= 1.6xh and L = 2.6xh, I got to make it work because of the constrains poses by other considerations in the building. I am not planning on using drywall to adjust the room size currently.

I have gone through the post http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/8293-home-theater-experts-contractors.html and understand how it can be done. Execution still pending.

I would like to take this powerful forum help to guide me through this pilgrimage till I complete the project by providing details ongoing basis.

I have attached the current working plan of the basement and the proposed wiring diagram.

The main feature of the HT are:

* Full HD/3D Projector (yet to decide on brand - seriously considering Panasonic AE7000)
* Min 120" screen (seriously considering painted wall. Any pointers on the type of paint to be used is highly appreciated)
* Usage of TV Vs. projector Vs. music is about 30:30:40
* 46" TV on the opposite side of the projection screen so that I don't need to hear the typical mega serial cry in all the 7 speakers :rolleyes:
* 9.1 speaker configuration (including 2 presence speaker for Yamaha DSP mode)
* Apart from the equipment from my signature section, I would be using JBL SP8II for back surround
* Stone wall finish (is it the right choice? :confused:)

What I am looking for:

1. How to achieve good acoustic environment
  2. DIY examples
  3. Any improvement to the current design

Really appreciate all the help to make my temple auspicious on an economy budget :).

Attachments

• HT Electricals.jpg
    HT Electricals.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 87
  • HT Electricals Speaker Wiring.jpg
    HT Electricals Speaker Wiring.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 87
congratulations and good luck with your HT build. please keep us posted with progress pics and your learning on way building your HT room.
i have been planning on a similar setup with almost same dimensions so i am very interested in your build difference in room dimension being 18'3" x 12' x 9'6". i am doing a lot of reading at How To | Home Theater
hope u find this a good place to start.
also regarding room dimensions there is a forum entry in another forum which has many other "formulas" :)

Last edited:

* Full HD/3D Projector (yet to decide on brand - seriously considering Panasonic AE7000)
* Min 120" screen (seriously considering painted wall. Any pointers on the type of paint to be used is highly appreciated)
* 46" TV on the opposite side of the projection screen so that I don't need to hear the typical mega serial cry in all the 7 speakers :rolleyes:
* Apart from the equipment from my signature section, I would be using JBL SP8II for back surround

What I am looking for:

2. DIY examples

Really appreciate all the help to make my temple auspicious on an economy budget :).

That is a very good projector. However there's one thing to consider - how much ambient light would come into the room. If there's a reasonable amount of ambient light, I'd consider epson cos they are much brighter. If you have good light control, that panasonic is unbeatable - especially in 3D.

Painted wall is a sad excuse for a projector as good as that. You need to get a reasonably high gain Dalite screen if you are getting the panasonic since it is a little on the less bright side.

You can keep the TV on the same side - just get the projector screen to drop in front of the TV when watching on the projector. You can keep the TV with the DTH/cable connection separate from the rest of your HT.

Now for the audio equipment, please mention a budget. Also 9.1 is overkill - there are no blurays with 9.1 audio. All of them top out at max of 7.1. Unless you have some extra speakers sitting with you which you can throw in, this makes no sense at all.

As RoC said-don't, please don't go for the painted wall option-get a decent screen. I have a Dalite manual pull down and it works well.Send me a PM, we can discuss this a bit.

Painted wall is a sad excuse for a projector as good as that. You need to get a reasonably high gain Dalite screen if you are getting the panasonic since it is a little on the less bright side.

You can keep the TV on the same side - just get the projector screen to drop in front of the TV when watching on the projector. You can keep the TV with the DTH/cable connection separate from the rest of your HT.

Now for the audio equipment, please mention a budget. Also 9.1 is overkill - there are no blurays with 9.1 audio. All of them top out at max of 7.1. Unless you have some extra speakers sitting with you which you can throw in, this makes no sense at all.

Thanks for the pointers. Pull-down is another alternate I've considered. Only fear is the screen movement while the AC is running that may spoil the show. I heard fixed screen runs into lot of maintenance issue in the long run. The options are still open.

The 9.1 configuration is essentially a 7.1 as the front 2 "Presence Speaker" will be used only when using Yamaha DSP mode. I've all the audio equipment needed and the details may be found in the signature section.

The only pending items are: Projector, screen and any acoustic treatment to the room. Hope I could do that within 2 to 3 L.

Thanks

Nathan,

Welcome to the mighty world of a private theatre at home.

I too agree with the fellow member's that a actual screen is much better then painting the wall.

It is always better to use the room only for movies and music and related. For regular TV viewing i recommend it should be in other usual rooms.

I did not get the point about stone wall finish?

To get the best ideas about acoustic treatment you can see various threads on this forum.

It will be much better if you request some forum member's in allowing you to see their dedicated movie/music room because that will give you a very clear picture while there are many photographs about the theatre's made by members.

V

Hi mighty forum,

After 3 years of grueling search for a plot to build my dream hut, finally I was able to kick start on it couple of months back and the foundation work is complete. Currently wall work is in progress.

I would like to take this powerful forum help to guide me through this pilgrimage till I complete the project by providing details ongoing basis.

I have attached the current working plan of the basement and the proposed wiring diagram.

What I am looking for:

2. DIY examples

Last edited:
About screen shaking, it is more of a possibility with a fan in the room and near to screen. If only A/C is in the room then there will not be a problem unless the blower is near the screen. In my case the distance between screen and blower is around 12 feet.

A pull down screen will be a better option while with fixed screens there is always some sort of risk especially when it is not a dedicated room etc.

If you are very keen for a fixed screen then there are a few forum members who have such a screen.

V.

Pull-down is another alternate I've considered. Only fear is the screen movement while the AC is running that may spoil the show. I heard fixed screen runs into lot of maintenance issue in the long run. The options are still open.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back