HT in a Box

freshseasons

I already own a philips DVD player (3336)so getting a HT in a box doesnt look wise in my case.But then its just my opinion. However my budget is restricted since i'll need to move to someother place.
In substance should i go for a complete setup (like philips 3571 or 3366 which if i do i will land up having 2 philips dvd player)or should i just find some 5.1 speakers to supplement my philips DVd player.
Will going for speakers only such as CREATIVE INSPIRE T6200 5.1 or Logitech G51 Surround make better sense or should i somehow find separate philips 5.1 speaker to make the complete setup?
Any help in this direction will be greatly appreciated?:eek:

I already own a philips DVD player (3336)so getting a HT in a box doesnt look wise in my case.But then its just my opinion. However my budget is restricted since i'll need to move to someother place.
In substance should i go for a complete setup (like philips 3571 or 3366 which if i do i will land up having 2 philips dvd player)or should i just find some 5.1 speakers to supplement my philips DVd player.
Will going for speakers only such as CREATIVE INSPIRE T6200 5.1 or Logitech G51 Surround make better sense or should i somehow find separate philips 5.1 speaker to make the complete setup?
Any help in this direction will be greatly appreciated?:eek:

Hi freshseasons,
First of all, welcome to the forum.
If your budget is highly restricted, then only can we suggest you going for logitech or creative.
Else you are better of lookin at other options.
And all HTiB's dont necessarily come wit a dvd player(ex: Onkyo)

Anyways there are plenty of other posts which have addressed your issues, I would highly recommend you do a search for those.
Anyways have fun researching:)

Hello Nihkil.Thanks for the reply and i have searched the forum.Infact before posting this i have been doing this since days.
I have decided on z5500 and i have seen similar thread but none could satisfy the query.
With a budget of about 20K which is better z5500 or..what would you recommend? Anyone......?
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
At this budget it is very difficult to suggest a model that will be 'perfect'. Philips, Samsung, LG, Onkyo, and Yamaha all make popular HTiBs and there are a large number of people who like each brand. I have personally heard the Yamaha and the Philips and I have found both to be reasonably good for the value they offer at that price.

Most HTiBs come as a packed unit, and it may be better to just get the whole unit. The manufacturer would have done some amount of mixing and matching which will be difficult for a consumer to do, given the lack of options in these units.

If the new unit you get comes with a DVD Player, talk to the dealer to take your old player back and give you a discount. Most dealer will jump at such an opportunity. That way you will not have two DVD Players.

Remember companies such as Creative and Logitech make speakers for computers. What is the difference? To put it simply, such speakers are meant to be used for a very small area, maybe a couple of feet from the listener at the most, even when you are using a 5.1 system for games. And they are also meant to be listened to at relatively low volumes. When you are watching a movie the requirements of speakers are diferent. You will be sitting anywhere from 6 feet or more from the screen. The room will be relatively large, and the distance between the front and rear speakers could go to 10 feet and above depending upon your room size. Generally to hear the subtle sounds of surround speakers or hear the dialogues clearly, you will tend to crank the volume up, particularly if you are using a amplifier that has low power output. When you do this, you are sitting on the verge of distortion and harshness.

Cheers

Last edited:
since you already have a DVD player, I would suggest a HTiB of Onkyo/Yamaha within 20k. This will give you an AVR + 5.1 speakers and you continue using the DVD. AVR will give you much better quality than using the DVD with speakers.

Raghav

Ok today i auditioned these two.Couldn't quite make much of a difference because of stupid background noise.Still anyone who have bought or heard either of two which would you recommend.
1)Sony DAV-DZ390K @ 19,990/-

1000W Total Power Output
S-Master Digital Amplifier
1080p Upscaling (HDMI) with BRAVIA Sync
USB Music Rec & Play (Walkman phone compatible)
USB Movie Playback (DivX & MPEG4 Simple profile)
18cm DDTD Subwoofer System

OR

2)Philips HTS3371/98 @ 15000/-
HTS3371_98-GAL-global

Output power (RMS) 6x167W
D/A converter 24 bit, 192 kHz
Frequency response 40-20000 Hz
Signal to noise ratio >60 dB
Sound System DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Prologic II, Stereo
Sound Enhancement Class "D" Digital Amplifier, Night Mode

Please someone help me decide amongst these two.

Why not look for an used Home Theater from Onkyo. If your budget is anything between 15-20K, i would recommend you take a look at used HTIB from Onkyo. Onkyo is way above standard when u compare it to the small puppets. Not to offend anyone. Just my Opinion.

Interesting you guys, I was looking for a corporate website for Denon but could not find one with an email adress, and stumbled across your site. I wanted to give them feedback on a dht fs5 "soundbar" I bought and very easily installed today.
We have a small house and the idea of 5 speakers and an amplifier was frightening!

I believe this is an elegant solution to getting higher quality video sound, I have a Sony Bravia 42" LCD TV with a Sony PS3 providing blue ray play back.

Previously I ran audio from the video through my Rotel 80 watt per channel amp through American DCM time window speakers (all about 25 years old)

All of that got kicked out of our lounge room when we made a games room out the back.

Anyway interesting to post to an Indian website, we have lots of indian foodstores in Melbourne (Australia) our favourite rice is "India gate" basmati and we probaly have 2 to 3 curries a week but we also eat Thai , Japanese, Greek etc

Anyway there is nothing like good audio!

Cheers John

Ok this is what i'll do.I will go in for onkyo or Denon HTib and use my DVD player with it.
Yes i will have to raise my budget but then kudoos to members here who have helped me with good suggestion.
I think i will vouch for quality.

I agree with everyone that you should go for starting range Onkyo/Yamaha as u already have a DVDp.

If u decide to go for Philips, Go for 3571 ( Appx 15.5 street price) as MBR suggested.(Not, 3371 and don't touch that Sony u mentioned earlier.)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back