HT newbie - need help to select A/V receiver and 5.1 speakers

The Godfather

Hello Guys!

I live in Mumbai (Thane) and I'm considering buying a new home theatre system with 5.1 surround sound. My budget is 50K (can be bumped up if I can get more value).

The usage will be 60% movies and 40% music.

I've done some research and read a lot of threads on this forum as well.

I've narrowed down to the following:

1. A/V receiver: Yamaha HTR-3072 or Yamaha RX-V 485 (what's the difference apart from wireless? I have both Chromecast and Chromecast Audio)
  2. Speakers: No idea which ones. But, I need speakers (with active subwoofer) which I can install in the walls (near the ceiling). Don't want the ones which have tall rear speakers.

The budget for speakers can go up to 25K.

Please help!

A/V receiver: Yamaha HTR-3072 or Yamaha RX-V 485 (what's the difference apart from wireless? I have both Chromecast and Chromecast Audio)

Settle for model with the features you are looking for and wherever you get better deal.. Pioneer too has some models, price should be the same as Yamaha.. You may check that too..

Speakers: No idea which ones. But, I need speakers (with active subwoofer) which I can install in the walls (near the ceiling). Don't want the ones which have tall rear speakers.

Hope you meant, you want to install surround speaker at such height?..

The budget for speakers can go up to 25K.

Hard to squeeze 5.1 speakers within your budget..

Taga TAV 506, 5.0 speaker package with FS can be had for 25K approx.. Yu may check hifimart and amazon.in..

The above package doesn't come with a subwoofer, so advantgae to the user.. You can add a sub of your choice later..

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I meant both front and back speakers at such height.

Your comment is noted for speakers but, price is a constraint for now.

Tempted to get the Yamaha YHT-3072. It includes the 5.1 speakers with active subwoofer. How is this option?

Yes, I meant both front and back speakers at such height.

You can't do front speakers at such height.. Speakers are best matched to ear-level, surrounds being exception / preference of the user..

1565612412837.png

Your comment is noted for speakers but, price is a constraint for now.

Tempted to get the Yamaha YHT-3072. It includes the 5.1 speakers with active subwoofer. How is this option?

Even if you get a HTIB package now, you are bound to upgrade components some day..

IMO, better to pick a standalone AVR + 5.0 speaker package and add a subwoofer later, as in this fashion, you wouldn't upgrade any sooner..

5.0 speaker package anyday better than HTIB 5.1 speaker package..

My suggestion would be to choose a 5.0 as suggested above instead of a HTIB. Both Taga 506/606 are vfm products. If you have floor standers, you don't need a sub right away. Also look for some used AVRs to save some money. You can build a decent system within 55k.
Otherwise, you can build your system bit by bit. Like 2.0,3.0.

You can't do front speakers at such height.. Speakers are best matched to ear-level, surrounds being exception / preference of the user..

View attachment 38199

Even if you get a HTIB package now, you are bound to upgrade components some day..

IMO, better to pick a standalone AVR + 5.0 speaker package and add a subwoofer later, as in this fashion, you wouldn't upgrade any sooner..

5.0 speaker package anyday better than HTIB 5.1 speaker package..
Thanks for the detailed response!

For the front speakers I've taken the wire connection through the walls little bit above the TV. Can't be undone now as the civil work is complete. I should have researched better.

For the surround speakers I've taken the wire points near the false ceiling.

Regarding the Taga suggested, I see that the SS are big and probably floor standing ones. I wish to hang the SS in the walls. Can you guys suggest a speaker set which has wall hanging SS?

Also, how will the movies sound if there is no SW?

If go to build this piece by piece should I stick to the Yamaha AVR or are there better ones available at that price range?

My suggestion would be to choose a 5.0 as suggested above instead of a HTIB. Both Taga 506/606 are vfm products. If you have floor standers, you don't need a sub right away. Also look for some used AVRs to save some money. You can build a decent system within 55k.
Otherwise, you can build your system bit by bit. Like 2.0,3.0.
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't want floor standing SS. Can you suggest SS which can be wall mounted?

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't want floor standing SS. Can you suggest SS which can be wall mounted?

Assuming, you can procure an used AVR within 20K, you can try the following combinations(I've referred to hifimart prices after discount). Although, these are 3.0 setups, they will satisfy your needs for the time being and will definitely beat any HTIB within 50-60K in terms of spread and quality of sound. You can add surrounds and subs later on. I'd personally prefer the 1st combination. For vfm surrounds, you can have a look at JBL Control 1(approx 10k).

Q ACOUSTICS 3010I (PAIR) - 16K
Q ACOUSTICS 3090CI CENTRE - 18K

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220(PAIR) - 18K
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220 CENTRE - 18K

MISSION LX-1(PAIR) - 13.5K
MISSION MXC1/MXC2 CENTRE - 14-16K

Hmm... I see! I like the idea but, bit sceptical to buy a used AVR. BTW, how much wattage per speaker channel is recommended. I see Yamaha has more wattage per channel compared to Marantz

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back