HT room - darkening the interiors

sash

Folks,
I have a dedicated room at my home for HT. Since it wasn't built for HT to start with, the walls are bright colored (off-white). After i got my projector, i couldn't stand the white ceiling and painted it in dark blue. I couldn't do the same for walls as i had some home brew acoustic panels and did not want to disturb them. Life was good.
These days i started getting a nagging feeling that the walls are messing with picture quality. I could notice the walls shining bright and that light was falling on the screen, i wasn't happy but didn't know what to do. I couldn't put curtains because i didn't want to drill (even if drilled, i had to drill the beams near the ceiling which was hard concrete and somehow was not very comfortable).
I recently got some black cotton cloth (Rs 70 per meter) and stuck it on the walls (up to 5 - 6 feet starting from front wall) using double sided foam tape (four square brand). Whoa what a difference it made to the picture quality!!! The dark scenes are now darker, there is absolutely no distraction at the edge of my eye sight, image pops so much more. I'm kicking myself for not doing this earlier. Single biggest improvement in my HT experience!!
Please try this if you haven't already. Blacking out the interiors (especially ceiling, screen wall and few feet of side walls from screen) is probably the best improvement you could do to your viewing experience

Folks,
I recently got some black cotton cloth (Rs 70 per meter) and stuck it on the walls (up to 5 - 6 feet starting from front wall) using double sided foam tape (four square brand). Whoa what a difference it made to the picture quality!!! The dark scenes are now darker, there is absolutely no distraction at the edge of my eye sight, image pops so much more. I'm kicking myself for not doing this earlier. Single biggest improvement in my HT experience!!
Please try this if you haven't already. Blacking out the interiors (especially ceiling, screen wall and few feet of side walls from screen) is probably the best improvement you could do to your viewing experience

Awesome brother. This post is really insightful.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back