HT Upgrade queries, a lot of them

Touring.Techie

Hi,

This is my current setup in my Living room in Kuwait.

TV
LG 42 inch Full HD but 50 Hz.

Players:
Sony PS3
WD Media Player Gen.1(With WDLX firmware)
Laptop with PS3MediaServer feeding into PS3
Xtremer Prodigy Silver (Ordered)

Receiver:
Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1channel

Speakers:
Polk Audio TSi Series 300 (FR & FL)
Polk Audio TSi Series 100 (LS, RS, BLS, & BRS)
Polk Audio TSi Series CS10 (Center)
Polk Audio PSW125 Subwoofer.

Router
BandLuxe R250 7.2 Mbps 3G Router

Switch
Dlink 8 port 10/100 Switch

I am looking for an upgrade as I will be moving to Jaipur in a couple of months & converting my basement into Home Theatre room. Its dimensions are:
Length: 251inches
Width: 158 inches
Height: 120 inches

My requirement in India would be
May be play 3D movies once in a while
Watch HD movies in that room
Watch matches in HD (will be buying a HD DTH when there)
Play games on PS3

These are my queries
1. Are the dimensions of basement acoustically Ok? If not what can be done to improve without changing the dimensions.
2. Will there be too much echo of the stone walls, what can be done to reduce the same. I am not looking for too much investment into the room. For the Floor I am thinking about Carpet which I think would suffice. I am more worried about the wall treatment.
3. Will present receiver & speakers be sufficient for that big room?
4. Where should I place all the equipment, my preference would be at the back, but the how would the remotes work? IR extender?
5. What about the seating, I need to accommodate around 10 people at the max, & may be permanent seating for 4-6 people.
4. The things that I plan to add are:
a) 3D 1080p Projector thinking about Optoma HD33, good choice? (can get it from US through Aramex or bought locally in Kuwait)
b) 120 inch Diagonal screen (Can I get this in Jaipur or NCR)
c) Logitech - G27 Racing Wheel (Will buy from Kuwait) Where can I get the seat setup in India?
d) Logitech Universal Remote, but which 1? (Will buy from Kuwait or India) Another option would be to get any cheap Android Pads or IPad for the same, but how to convert it, anyone has done it? Can get a cheap 2nd hand 1gen IPad for the money spend on Harmony remote here.
5. For networking right now my Router/Switch combo is holding good, but do I need to upgrade to Gigabit ones, or current setup will hold good?
6. As my receiver is not 3D ready, will that be Ok, I do not want to change it, as very much satisfied with it, will the HDMI splitter work for bypassing Video & Audio? Changing this would also add considerable amount to my budget.

Please help me out, this is my dream project & would be going ahead with it without much support from Home ministry, so it has to come out good, & that too before her patience runs out.

Last edited:
Two or three suggestions-all queries are too long for me:

1. Get a GbE router right away, it's not expensive.
2. Get the HD pj(Ive got an HD 20 and like it) and bring a good screen from there if you can bring it in a container.
3. Do some research on Logitech Harmony remotes and decide what you want I just got an 880 havent yet started using it.
4. Plenty of threads on low cost room treatment on this forum possible and worth reading up a bit.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back