HT upgrade recommendations

Thanks for the explanation Raghu, i understand that only watts would not be a right way to approach since they may not all be easy to drive. My question was more towards the room size (14*11) , lets say i have the right chain to have any of them sing would there be any reason not to go for a Floorstander against a bookshelf. Considering i wont change the speaker for several years to come , i would prefer a Floorstander as its more child proof and secondly might solve many of Subwoofer integration issues for music listening as the FS themselves can go low enough.
FS vs BS is a personal choice. There are some large-ish standmounts.
KEF R3 is one such example. Wharfedale Evo 4.2 is another.
Their drivers are large enough to give room filling bass and can handle HT peak ref levels (well ... almost)
What I've observed is for the same cost, BS from the same company may perform better.
You may even get a series higher from the same company.

PS:
PM if you have interest in hearing out R300 (previous gen from R3).
My interests are solely 2-ch performance. I have not idea about AVR/HT :)

Cheers,
Raghu

For the lows , would bookshelf provide sufficient SPL for music against a FS ? I would prefer to invest in a second SVS SB-2000 with a Evo 4.2/Wharfedale Linton if I would still need to invest in a sub with a FS like Focal Aria 926/Revel Performa F206 etc.

I own a Elac FS 57.2 and i find the lows are much more than the M20 in terms of quantity (though not as refined and tight as the M20), so thats what drives me towards FS vs a Bookshelf.
For producing the reference level low frequency spl, you will always require a sub and most floorstanders can't hit the absolute bottom notes with authority. And in your room, you will have no problem getting the requisite loudness for other frequencies from something like a KEF Q350 or a Wharfedale Evo 4.2 with a decent AVR. However, for a full sound from all speakers, whether FS or BS, you will need a power amp or a really beefy AVR such as Denon X6500H/ Yamaha Aventage 3080/Marantz 8012 etc.) Again, budget or some mid level AVRs have difficulty driving certain large floorstanders.

Not really worried about the amp part at the moment. I will certainly invest in a power amp later. If I can get the FS/BS to go to 35-40Hz at good SPL level I would be more than happy. I have a X4500h which is rated at 125 watts @ 8 ohms (2ch driven) so power wise should not be much lagging behind the x6500h ( 145 watts with same specs)

Thanks for the YT channel link, I tried listening to a few recording and liked the slam of the wharfedale Evo 4.2, will explore further.

Last edited:
FS vs BS is a personal choice. There are some large-ish standmounts.
KEF R3 is one such example. Wharfedale Evo 4.2 is another.
Their drivers are large enough to give room filling bass and can handle HT peak ref levels (well ... almost)
What I've observed is for the same cost, BS from the same company may perform better.
You may even get a series higher from the same company.

PS:
PM if you have interest in hearing out R300 (previous gen from R3).
My interests are solely 2-ch performance. I have not idea about AVR/HT :)

Cheers,
Raghu

I would love to listen to your setup once the daily cases dial down to some extent. Want to be shortlist and audition ready by then :)

I did a few modifications to the room. I had a study table which was not letting to experiment with speaker positions and so forth ( the dark pic is before I removed the table). I got it removed and intend to do following as first steps
i) Get a center speaker stand from SF
ii) Have larger length wires to have a proper routing path.

On the speaker side still undecided what to do on the upgrade, meanwhile have got the dynaudio m20 moved in at the moment. Any idea which center which might go well . Problem with timbre matching is that the emit m15 c retails for 70k , I might as well get a m20 and use one as center :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-220358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824-220358_Gallery.jpg
    861.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20200824-220258_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824-220258_Gallery.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Not really worried about the amp part at the moment. I will certainly invest in a power amp later. If I can get the FS/BS to go to 35-40Hz at good SPL level I would be more than happy. I have a X4500h which is rated at 125 watts @ 8 ohms (2ch driven) so power wise should not be much lagging behind the x6500h ( 145 watts with same specs)

Thanks for the YT channel link, I tried listening to a few recording and liked the slam of the wharfedale Evo 4.2, will explore further.

If you are going to buy a power amp later you should go for FS. Even 4500h can do duties for time being.
You will always need atleast one subwoofer with both FS and BS for movies but for stereo FS themselves will go low enough not to need a subwoofer.

If you are going to buy a power amp later you should go for FS. Even 4500h can do duties for time being.
You will always need atleast one subwoofer with both FS and BS for movies but for stereo FS themselves will go low enough not to need a subwoofer.

Yup plan to go with a FS in future. Intend to get a Center channel which might go with Dynaudio Emit m20 under 40k, any idea what might be a good buy which might timbre match to some extent with the M20 or do you guys think it would be a waste of money ?

I did a few modifications to the room. I had a study table which was not letting to experiment with speaker positions and so forth ( the dark pic is before I removed the table). I got it removed and intend to do following as first steps
i) Get a center speaker stand from SF
ii) Have larger length wires to have a proper routing path.

On the speaker side still undecided what to do on the upgrade, meanwhile have got the dynaudio m20 moved in at the moment. Any idea which center which might go well . Problem with timbre matching is that the emit m15 c retails for 70k , I might as well get a m20 and use one as center :)

The Wharfedale evo 4.CS center channel seems great but is quite big & weighs 11.6 kgs. FM Sijusid has it. You can PM & ask his opinion since he is very happy with them.
Its approx 50k & lesser in price than the Dynaudio but is currently out of stock at Hifi-mart.

The Wharfedale evo 4.CS center channel seems great but is quite big & weighs 11.6 kgs. FM Sijusid has it. You can PM & ask his opinion since he is very happy with them.
Its approx 50k & lesser in price than the Dynaudio but is currently out of stock at Hifi-mart.

Why not get the 4.c? Its going to be epic! Anil told me he’d be able to procure it but Waiting time is approx 3-4 months. I was planning go ahead with it initially but saw the Quad SC-2 was in stock at the moment for a great price and i’d always wanted it for my S5s so the Evo 4.c faced the chopping block. Still interested in it though and would consider getting it in the future if in stock.

Yup i was eyeing the same but 3/4 months seems to be like a long lead time especially considering I would probably buy my final setup hopefully by then and a matching center as well.
Considering the unavailablity of Evo 4.CS I think it would be wiser to get the Dynaudio Emit M15C at some premium as it guarantees a matching timbre at the very least.

On a side note i was checking for prices internationally and i Australia, the Emit m15c is cheaper than the Concept centre :D

Yup i was eyeing the same but 3/4 months seems to be like a long lead time especially considering I would probably buy my final setup hopefully by then and a matching center as well.
Considering the unavailablity of Evo 4.CS I think it would be wiser to get the Dynaudio Emit M15C at some premium as it guarantees a matching timbre at the very least.

On a side note i was checking for prices internationally and i Australia, the Emit m15c is cheaper than the Concept centre :D

If there is 4 months waiting then you can try here but pls talk to Mr. Anil first as he can give you a better picture regarding availability from Hifimart.

I had the M20 filling up my living room with ease, which is approx 26 x 16 feet with a Rega Elicit amp.

Totally didn't like crown amp with Focal 726 though.

Do consider the load on the AVR when plonking a few dynes here and there.

Dali Obberon vokal centre channel suits brilliantly with the M20.

Yup , totally forgot the fact that another 4 ohm center would strain the AVR quiet a bit. Will have a look at Dali oberon center

Yup , totally forgot the fact that another 4 ohm center would strain the AVR quiet a bit. Will have a look at Dali oberon center
It's the 86db which also matters. Personally, I don't mind mix and match for HT, but would strive to keep all the speaker specs as similar as possible.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Marantz AVR will definitely not cut it for the Dynes. Yamaha will handle them with aplomb. Sounds better with the Yamaha too.

Last edited:

I am using the Dali Oberon Vokal for the center speaker. That too is 4 ohms with sensitivity at 89.5

It's the 86db which also matters. Personally, I don't mind mix and match for HT, but would strive to keep all the speaker specs as similar as possible.

Edit: Forgot to mention, Marantz AVR will definitely not cut it for the Dynes. Yamaha will handle them with aplomb. Sounds better with the Yamaha too.
Yup , i recently upgraded to a Denon AVR X4500H so i think driveability wise there should not be much issue. Only worried if it will strain the AVR , but then if it does i think they go into auto-protection mode so will be clear that i should not do it again.

I am using the Dali Oberon Vokal for the center speaker. That too is 4 ohms with sensitivity at 89.5

Oh ok, how do you find the center performance especailly on the non-vocal side. The 3090i are great for Vocals, but feel there is scope for improvement on the other aspects.

Whoa! Thats surprising! The concept centre was a faithful companion but i’m letting it go. The introduction of the SC-2 has elevated my system synergy to a whole new level. i’d definitely recommend getting the m15c as otherwise, It’ll be very difficult to get a perfect timbral match.

Yup , i recently upgraded to a Denon AVR X4500H so i think driveability wise there should not be much issue. Only worried if it will strain the AVR , but then if it does i think they go into auto-protection mode so will be clear that i should not do it again.

Oh ok, how do you find the center performance especailly on the non-vocal side. The 3090i are great for Vocals, but feel there is scope for improvement on the other aspects.

I use the Oberon Vokal only for movies . Hence have always heard with the vocals & seems quite good. Since you have a sub, I don't think there would be much of a strain on your amp. My setup is a 5.1 With Oberon 1 fronts & surrounds with the Vokal & SVS sub. Never felt any kind of strain on the Marantz SR 7011 which I am using.

I use the Oberon Vokal only for movies . Hence have always heard with the vocals & seems quite good. Since you have a sub, I don't think there would be much of a strain on your amp. My setup is a 5.1 With Oberon 1 fronts & surrounds with the Vokal & SVS sub. Never felt any kind of strain on the Marantz SR 7011 which I am using.

I meant for movies there would be lot of action scenes/music playing where the Center also gets involved heaviliy. Do you feel the Center to be lacking in any aspect in such scenes

The reviews of the m15c centre don’t seem very flattering:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back