HT within range of 1.2Lac

forever.pramod

My room size is of 10X12, I guess its in the small or medium category. And usage is 80% for music and 20%for movies.
I have shortlisted YAMAHA RX-V477 / RX-V577 for my AV receiver and I like Klipsch and Polk speakers, but Klipsch is a little bit more costlier and not affordable to me.
My whole budget for AV receiver and speakers is around 1.2Lac, but which can be extended later. As my primary goal is listening music, I am planning to get only 2 floor standing speakers for now but I am worried, I wont be able to enjoy the magic of Pro Logic II because of these 2 speakers only.

Now my questions and queries starts.

1. Should I go for 7.2ch receiver (RX-V577) for this room assuming that its my permanent room, or should I opt a 5.1ch receiver. (RX-V477)
2. Should I choose only 2 Klipsch (RF-42 II Floorstanding Speakers) for now and then plan for other speakers later OR extend my budget a little bit and get complete 5.1 Polk speakers(RTi A5 model).
3. As I have not bought any of the receivers and speakers. what specification should I check in the receiver and speakers so that power / wattage mismatch should not appear.

10 x 12 is a 'small' room. This would not be a bare room, and most likely would have its compliment of furniture too. Me thinks only wall-mounted satellites would do justice.

Neither Klipsch nor Polk are known for music. Both, good for movies.

Why don't you visit a few FMs at your location possessing BS or satellites to make an informed decision?

if your primary goal is music then go for a 2 channel system - amp plus 2 floor standers or book shelves.
if room size is 120 sq ft. then book shelves will be better.

Music 80% - Stick to Marantz.
Room Size - 10X12 - Marantz NR series is quite enough.

Speakers - Klipsch or Polk not good for music.
Consider Dali Zensor 5, PSB Image FS, Q Accoustics,
Boston Acoustics A360 (Ok for music but a good VFM for movies)
Mission (Only for Pure music)

Please audition and then decide.

if its 80% music, then go for a stereo setup. 2 speakers and an amp. much better sound quality for the same budget

im in same dilemma so think a yamaha htib yht 299 would be good for movies need and a separate stereo setup with stereo amp for music...

any inputs? better suggestions?

As my primary goal is listening music, I am planning to get only 2 floor standing speakers for now but I am worried, I wont be able to enjoy the magic of Pro Logic II because of these 2 speakers only.

First of all you need to understand what the Pro Logic II decoder does. It upscale the stereo sound to 5 ch surround sound.

Dolby Pro Logic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But stereo music is best listened without using any processor. If you are going to audition stereo setups try to listen 2 ch vs 5 ch Pro Logic II setup for music, you can easily identify the difference.

And if you have a couple of movies with 2 ch sound, then you need Dolby Pro Logic II processing.

For 80% of music, go for good floorstanders and budget surround speakers.

Now my questions and queries starts.

1. Should I go for 7.2ch receiver (RX-V577) for this room assuming that its my permanent room, or should I opt a 5.1ch receiver. (RX-V477)
For this room size 5.1 is more than enough.

3. As I have not bought any of the receivers and speakers. what specification should I check in the receiver and speakers so that power / wattage mismatch should not appear.
You will need a deep pocket to match the speaker power rating and amp power rating. So get speaker whichever sounds good to you and a descent av receiver.

In my opinion since movies would contribute only 20% of usage you can think about picking up some good deals (AVR/Speakers 5.1) from this forum and save up for a dedicated stereo set up.

Lots of good advice available on this forum for dedicated stereo set ups to suit different budgets. So read as much as you can, seek advice/guidance but most importantly listen to your ears. What sounds good to your ears would help you make your decision

All the Best.. Cheers

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions and response.

I think I should now stick with 5.1 AV receiver (not 7.1ch) according to my room-size.

As I need a 5.1 HT setup, which I will need for movies, although my primary use will be music, I was planning for a 5.1 receiver and pair of Klipsch RF-52 floor standings for now, which will cost me around 70K+40K=1.1lac for now and then extend the surround, center and subwoofers (RC-52, RS-42 and SW-350). I guess I will get these within another 3-4 months.

Are the Klipsch speakers better for movies than music? Now I am confused.:sad:

It will be like my one time investment for speakers, I will take time but decide wisely. Any suggestions and advice welcome.

Music 80% - Stick to Marantz.
Room Size - 10X12 - Marantz NR series is quite enough.

Speakers - Klipsch or Polk not good for music.
Consider Dali Zensor 5, PSB Image FS, Q Accoustics,
Boston Acoustics A360 (Ok for music but a good VFM for movies)
Mission (Only for Pure music)

Please audition and then decide.

I will consider Marantz. Thnks for ur suggestion

i think its a great start there all the best...
they say klipsch don't have good service and are better for movies
i heard the older F3 series which were very good for music though
and the RF62 were alright.

you can also consider mordaunt short mezzo 6
very musical and has bass

maybe monitor audio bookshelf

they say floor standers give full richer sound and bass

Hi Pramod,
I would recommend a Onkyo TX-NR626 as an AVR and a Jamo 628 5.1 package as it is within your budget. The Onkyo and Jamo offers outstanding value for money and is ecellent for music and HT
regards,
Ranga

You seem to have taken NO notice to the previous postings 'yelling' about the room size (10 x 12). FS would be a disaster! You would be forced to hear only at low volumes!! In case, you add a sub compatible to FS as per 5.1 supply standard, then be ready for 'booms'!!!

In the end, you seem to just not consider the biggest 'flaw' in your 'system' from the initial stage, ie. room size!!!!

Sorry to be so blunt.

Hi forever.pramod

Given the size of the room and your requirement for music first...obvious choice would be Marantz NR series..... go for the NR 1504 which is slim and delivers excellent music + movie performance.

Good value and performance speakers are Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 which would cost within 25-30k. There are also SE and S model categories available...these are better than Bose Acoustic Mass speakers (AM 10 / AM 15). SOund great for music and movies....the advantage in a Marantz is that there is an adjustable 9 band Equaliser besides the Sound / Home Theatre modes which you can adjust and fine tune as per your tastes....brings warmth and life to music....

Better if you audition the same where possible, a couple of months back, I remember Reliance Digital was offering the Marantz 1504 + Bostons S series + LG Blu Ray all within 55-57k....some FM also mentioned the same. Check your options....

Hope this helps.

Do check out Quad Lite HT speaker set-up. These are available through designeraudio.com. Bass N Treble are mentioned as their dealers in Delhi. MRP quoted on the website is Rs 84k.
I have the earlier version and it is excellent.

Since you plan for music also, do place the front sats of the set you buy at ear level. Do not fix them too high if you wall mount them..

I know some people will may think that I didn't consider or notice their suggestion / advice and gone with my own. But it was just the room size, because of which most people advised me to choose bookshelf or satellite speaker packages. But I know I am not going to change my speaker in near future, but may change my room to a bigger size very soon. So decided in this way.

Thanks a lot to all for your valuable suggestions

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back