HTib for HTPC

ripesoul

hi y'all,

i m planning to buy onkyo 3200 for my htpc.

can anyone please advice if it is possible to connect it to a pc.

i have a basic onboard sound card.

Can we have HTPC config? as some motherborads have SPDIF/Digital output -In some cases you need to unable it or you require special motherboard cables or output cables -
If this is unabled you can digitally output Dolby Digital or DTS and your AVR can decode it

Or as spiro says Decode it at pc level and output as analouge and give 6 inanalougue inputs to your avar
Also if your motherboard / soundcard is capable of decoding Dolby true hd ,of DTS master HD and you are planning to play Blue Ray or compatible rips playing this uncompressed ,hi resolution formats you need to decode these formats on PC levels only ( if possible ) and then give 5.1 analougue out toi your AVR as your avr is NOT capable of decoding Dolby true hd ,of DTS master HD...

Pls give us config motherborad and sound card model no with weblinks

I can suggest few working options-

1.DVD in vlc> 5.1 opt in vlc> onbrd SC DAC> 5.1 out > 5.1in AVR
(decoding @ PC level)

2.vlc spdf out> SC spdf out> spdf in AVR (decoding @ AVR)

3.HD vid in powerDVD> 5.1 out> decoding @ SC> 5.1out> 5.1inAVR
(here powerDVD downscale HD-aud freq to 44khz which SC accepts & process)

4.Hd in powerDVD> HDMI out (if present)> AVR decoding.

Thanks Hemant.

my mobo is asus p5k premium

here is the link.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

at the bottom of the page you can see a pic of what the rear panel of the sound card looks like.

Can we have HTPC config? as some motherborads have SPDIF/Digital output -In some cases you need to unable it or you require special motherboard cables or output cables -
If this is unabled you can digitally output Dolby Digital or DTS and your AVR can decode it

Or as spiro says Decode it at pc level and output as analouge and give 6 inanalougue inputs to your avar
Also if your motherboard / soundcard is capable of decoding Dolby true hd ,of DTS master HD and you are planning to play Blue Ray or compatible rips playing this uncompressed ,hi resolution formats you need to decode these formats on PC levels only ( if possible ) and then give 5.1 analougue out toi your AVR as your avr is NOT capable of decoding Dolby true hd ,of DTS master HD...

Pls give us config motherborad and sound card model no with weblinks

Congrats it seems your M?B has both Co ax and OPt out ports ( see image)
See if it requires some enabling

In case you have any HD audio files ( highly unlikely) then decode it on PC level by software ( if possible) and then reconvert in 5.1 outs as onkyo is 5.1 not 7.1 ----
rest you can test your co axial by using simple co axial cord and then upgrade to good quality co-ax card
please put ur results!

Last edited:
Thanks Hemant / Sprio .

I am not so convinced if onkyo 3200 is a good choice. are they good vfm? Can you suggest something better?

Congrats it seems your M?B has both Co ax and OPt out ports ( see image)
See if it requires some enabling

In case you have any HD audio files ( highly unlikely) then decode it on PC level by software ( if possible) and then reconvert in 5.1 outs as onkyo is 5.1 not 7.1 ----
rest you can test your co axial by using simple co axial cord and then upgrade to good quality co-ax card
please put ur results!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back