HTiB or AVR

Vikash Malya

Hi, I am relatively new to the home theater scene. I am looking for a good HTiB or AVR which would serve my hunger for listening to good music. I have a budget of 50K. Initially i had shortlisted
1. Yamaha YHT - 3072
2. Pioneer HTP - 076
3. Sony - BDV N7200 & N9200

However, one of the dealer advised me not to take this as the speakers were not too great in terms of build quality and performance. Also, these have limitations from scalability standpoint. He also pointed out that these come with passive SW which do not offer experience provided by active SW.

For this, he offered me 2 other options which range between 70k & 80K.

Dealer Option 1: Marantz - NR1509 + JBL 5 speaker (Control 1 - 150W with dedicated tweeters) + Yamaha Active Sub - 050 (8" - 100W) - 80K
Dealer Option 2: Yamaha HTR 3072 + JBL 5 speaker (Control 1 - 150W with dedicated tweeters) + Yamaha Active Sub - 050 (8" - 100W) - 70K

I am looking for options that sounds great, support good connectivity (Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplay), and good bass. My usage is 65% Music (Apple, Youtube, Spoitify) and 35% (TV and Movies on Netflix, Amazon Fire Stick, Tatasky). I can max stretch up to 80k considering i like the Dealer Option 1 (considering better sound, 2 subwoofer outs, 6 hdmi) better than Option 2.

Key questions: Are HTiBs like Pioneer, Sony better sounding off the shelf than AVRs in this range. Also, please suggest if i should stick to AVR options or HTiB. Looking for some great suggestions on both these. Thank you..

I have a budget of 50K. Initially i had shortlisted

Pick any standalone 5.1 AVR and add Taga 5.0 speaker package.. You should be able to complete your setup without a subwoofer now.. You may add a subwoofer later, whenver your budget permits..

Are HTiBs like Pioneer, Sony better sounding off the shelf than AVRs in this range. Also, please suggest if i should stick to AVR options or HTiB.

Usually in a HTIB, speakers and subwoofers are compromised.. seperates, though slightly expensive route than the HTIB, is the way to build a decent 5.1 set up..

Pick any standalone 5.1 AVR and add Taga 5.0 speaker package.. You should be able to complete your setup without a subwoofer now.. You may add a subwoofer later, whenver your budget permits..

Usually in a HTIB, speakers and subwoofers are compromised.. seperates, though slightly expensive route than the HTIB, is the way to build a decent 5.1 set up..
Thank You Elangoas for your response. Can you also suggest if the dealer provided options are good? Considering i increase my budget from 50k to 80k.. would it make a substantial difference in sound quality? If yes, i would be willing to do it.
Also under 40k, as far as i have researched i see only 2 great amps with options HRT 3072 and Marantz 1509. Are there any other good AVRs in this range.

Hi, I am relatively new to the home theater scene. I am looking for a good HTiB or AVR which would serve my hunger for listening to good music. I have a budget of 50K. Initially i had shortlisted
1. Yamaha YHT - 3072
2. Pioneer HTP - 076
3. Sony - BDV N7200 & N9200

However, one of the dealer advised me not to take this as the speakers were not too great in terms of build quality and performance. Also, these have limitations from scalability standpoint. He also pointed out that these come with passive SW which do not offer experience provided by active SW.

Dealer Option 1: Marantz - NR1509 + JBL 5 speaker (Control 1 - 150W with dedicated tweeters) + Yamaha Active Sub - 050 (8" - 100W) - 80K
Dealer Option 2: Yamaha HTR 3072 + JBL 5 speaker (Control 1 - 150W with dedicated tweeters) + Yamaha Active Sub - 050 (8" - 100W) - 70K

I am looking for options that sounds great, support good connectivity (Wifi, Bluetooth, Airplay), and good bass. My usage is 65% Music (Apple, Youtube, Spoitify) and 35% (TV and Movies on Netflix, Amazon Fire Stick, Tatasky). I can max stretch up to 80k considering i like the Dealer Option 1 (considering better sound, 2 subwoofer outs, 6 hdmi) better than Option 2.

Key questions: Are HTiBs like Pioneer, Sony better sounding off the shelf than AVRs in this range. Also, please suggest if i should stick to AVR options or HTiB. Looking for some great suggestions on both these. Thank you..
+1 with Elangos suggestions here. Pick up Marantz N1609 instead of N1509 (which is an older version). Pickup Taga Harmony TAV 506 or TAV 606 5.0 package and add subwoofer (10 inch minimum depending on your room size) at a later time. Second option would be to start with 3.0 (2 front speakers and a center channel) and add surrounds and sub at a later time. All the best.

Thank You Elangoas for your response. Can you also suggest if the dealer provided options are good? Considering i increase my budget from 50k to 80k.. would it make a substantial difference in sound quality? If yes, i would be willing to do it.
Also under 40k, as far as i have researched i see only 2 great amps with options HRT 3072 and Marantz 1509. Are there any other good AVRs in this range.

You might need to stretch a little but at around 45-46k you might get the X1600H and the older generation X2400H from Denon and Yamaha RX-V585

You might need to stretch a little but at around 45-46k you might get the X1600H and the older generation X2400H from Denon and Yamaha RX-V585
Thanks Flux.. Are the 2 options mentioned in my post (Marantz 1509 (or HTR 3072)+JBL C1 5 speakers (150w + dedicated tweeters)+Yamaha SW050 active sub) any good at all for 80k or should i try a different combo for the price.

I have a strong thought that you are somehow associated with TAGA or have something to do with a TAGA distribution in India.. I see your out of your last 100 posts, atleast 75 is a TAGA recommendation;) don’t take it personally. ;)

I have a strong thought that you are somehow associated with TAGA or have something to do with a TAGA distribution in India.. I see your out of your last 100 posts, atleast 75 is a TAGA recommendation;) don’t take it personally. ;)

Ofcourse not ;) . .Just in the better VFM suggestion from a fellow enthusiast to an other..

Few years back, i used to recommend Sondyne products and i recollect some members addressing me in similar fashion.. Now a different brand.. Thatz all is the difference.. ;)

+1 with Elangos suggestions here. Pick up Marantz N1609 instead of N1509 (which is an older version). Pickup Taga Harmony TAV 506 or TAV 606 5.0 package and add subwoofer (10 inch minimum depending on your room size) at a later time. Second option would be to start with 3.0 (2 front speakers and a center channel) and add surrounds and sub at a later time. All the best.
Thank you. I am now looking at the below options based upon your suggestions. Pls advise if i am going in the right direction
1. Marantz 1609 + Taga Harmony TAV 606V3 = 80k
2. Marantz 1609 + Pioneer RS88TB (Todoroki) + JBL arena ceiling pair = 87k

Are these good enough for generating good music experience? Is SW necessary now? Also Should i consider Marantz 1608 instead to save some for SW considering both have 7.1 and Dolby atmos.

Dealer Option 1: Marantz - NR1509 + JBL 5 speaker (Control 1 - 150W with dedicated tweeters) + Yamaha Active Sub - 050 (8" - 100W) - 80k
I think Marantz 1509 currently costs 30k and JBL Control 1 pro cost 11k a pair. You can add a pair of Tannoy Eclipse 2 floor standers (currently 20k on Hifimart)

After some research and some advise i received, i have now come to the final set of options. I am contemplating Denon AVR X1600H over Marantz 1609. My dealer is giving me good discount for Denon @ 48k. For speakers i am deciding between Taga Harmony SE 606 vs Pioneer RS55TB. I understand from dealer who is pro Taga but says from performance wise there are not much difference between the 2. He says the sound quality is same. However from price standpoint Pioneer is cheaper. So i am leaning towards Pioneer as i can fit a taga sw90 sub in the budget.. Any final advise from you before i make the plunge on monday would be much appreciated.

Check this on HiFimart, you may compare the specs of Denon 1600h and 2400h.
Thnks Anbu. The 2400 seems to have better spec, however i understand that this model has been discontinued. X2400h is 2017 model and 1600h is 2019. i couldn’t find 2400 listed on Denon’s official site (may be I overlooked). I would rather stick to1600.

Hi,
IMO 48K for Denon 1600H is on the higher side.
You can get it for lot lesser than the price quoted by the dealer to you. PM me for the contact details.

Back