HTiB or AVR

Thank you all for your suggestions. I went ahead and got the following setup
1. AVR: Denon X1600H
2. Taga Harmony 606 Special Edition
3. BIC America V1220 12” Subwoofer
4. Wiring Taga Harmony 16FG
Congrats on ur new purchase, im sure the package that you have got would be much better than the options that you started with, please do post a review about ur equipment, specially the sub and the 606se

Congrats on ur new purchase, im sure the package that you have got would be much better than the options that you started with, please do post a review about ur equipment, specially the sub and the 606se
Thank you. I am glad i opted for these. I am already loving it. Will surely post an update on its performance.

Hi Vikash,

What's the price you paid for Denon avr x1600h & which dealer ?. I'm also planning to buy the same.
Checkout Ooberpad. They do offer great deals. Initiate a chat on their forum and they will offer you a good price.

Hi Vikash,

What's the price you paid for Denon avr x1600h & which dealer ?. I'm also planning to buy the same.
Hi Ravipan, i got my setup from Audioholics, Chennai. You can call up and talk to Praveen, who offered me good discount...He is also knowledgeable and can suggest you options based on your budget. You can find the contact details on Google.

Thank you. I am now looking at the below options based upon your suggestions. Pls advise if i am going in the right direction
1. Marantz 1609 + Taga Harmony TAV 606V3 = 80k
2. Marantz 1609 + Pioneer RS88TB (Todoroki) + JBL arena ceiling pair = 87k

Are these good enough for generating good music experience? Is SW necessary now? Also Should i consider Marantz 1608 instead to save some for SW considering both have 7.1 and Dolby atmos.
Hi vikash
I am also from Chennai. can you tell me your dealer details.
my dealer is quoting is around 90 k for Marantz 1609 with Elac Cinema 5.
is it a good combination. I am clueless and confused.
some help would be appreciated !!

Hi vikash
I am also from Chennai. can you tell me your dealer details.
my dealer is quoting is around 90 k for Marantz 1609 with Elac Cinema 5.
is it a good combination. I am clueless and confused.
some help would be appreciated !!
Hi Ajay,
I got my setup from Audioholics, Chennai. Praveen who is the owner was quite helpful in advising me on making my decision. I did not see any demos as I got it during lockdown and had to make my decision based on online reviews, feedback from experts in this forum and based on my own gut feel. As you see in the thread I started with HTIB (50k), moved to Marantz and then settled with Denon, Taga and BIC combo for over a Lak. I am no expert and you may want to check specific threads related to Elac cinema for reviews and comments. I chose my setup based on following factors:
1. Performance (reviews) - balance for music and movies
2. Scalability - being future proof with features (functionality, connectivity, number of channels, etc)
3. Warranty and service - ability to be able to get it serviced 3 or 4 yrs down the line.
4. Taga - I chose as I specifically wanted towers as I can’t mount any in the front and many experts seemed to like this
5. I wanted a 12” powerful sub within budget and got BIC.
5. Finally, my dealer gave me a good deal and he helped me refine my decision.

Hopefully these pointers gives you some perspective and aids in moving in right direction.

Hi Ajay,
I got my setup from Audioholics, Chennai. Praveen who is the owner was quite helpful in advising me on making my decision. I did not see any demos as I got it during lockdown and had to make my decision based on online reviews, feedback from experts in this forum and based on my own gut feel. As you see in the thread I started with HTIB (50k), moved to Marantz and then settled with Denon, Taga and BIC combo for over a Lak. I am no expert and you may want to check specific threads related to Elac cinema for reviews and comments. I chose my setup based on following factors:
1. Performance (reviews) - balance for music and movies
2. Scalability - being future proof with features (functionality, connectivity, number of channels, etc)
3. Warranty and service - ability to be able to get it serviced 3 or 4 yrs down the line.
4. Taga - I chose as I specifically wanted towers as I can’t mount any in the front and many experts seemed to like this
5. I wanted a 12” powerful sub within budget and got BIC.
5. Finally, my dealer gave me a good deal and he helped me refine my decision.

Hopefully these pointers gives you some perspective and aids in moving in right direction.
What was the price breakup? I am the market for a similar setup as well, but in Delhi.

Hi Vikas,

Around 3 months down the line would you still recommend the same setup?

I'm in a similar situation and want to build my HT preferably by Diwali. I reside in Mumbai.

Any tips or feedback or a review of your setup (if you have the time) would help.

Hi Vikas,

Around 3 months down the line would you still recommend the same setup?

I'm in a similar situation and want to build my HT preferably by Diwali. I reside in Mumbai.

Any tips or feedback or a review of your setup (if you have the time) would help.
Hi,

I love the setup i have currently and love has just started slowly growing in me... I have not fully utilised the amp to its potential. I just have a 5.1 and i have placed the Sub where i have room and did not perform subwoofer crawl to identify the best position. Having said that, i love the setup and am quite happy with it.

Following are points that i dint expect:
1. Being new to HT, i thought HT would blow me away as soon as i just set it up.. In fact, I couldn’t sleep the 1st day as it sounded so bad that my 15k speakers sounded much better.
2. I dint know that setting up HT is a science. It requires patience and one needs to do some bit of learning to even set it up.
3. Like a cricket bat, you need to season your HT and it slowly grows in you. Never expect to hear the soft thud from the middle of a New Bat.
4. From bass heavy speakers i had, getting used to hearing neutral tones was difficult.. Sound reproduction / clarity / quality of output is tremendous. But it takes time for the ears to appreciate it.
5. HT is only as good as the setup.. Placement of speakers and Sub, Wiring, Seating position, soundproofing and configuration of settings etc. plays a tremendous role determining the effectiveness of the setup. I have placed it in my hall where there is no sound proofing.. And since my home is closer the road, sound from traffic is extremely high.. Effect of speakers is lost a bit due to this. As a result even a lesser spec HT would sound better if these aspects are implemented well.

What i love:
1. I have started appreciating audio quality / clarity over bass. The Sub if set right would only function where it is supposed to and will remain calm and quite otherwise. There is no unnecessary thump or bass.. The audio quality is sublime.
2. I can setup different settings for audio from different sources such as Airplay (HEOS), Firestick, TV etc. I don’t necessarily have to change settings for e.g. my audio plays in Multi-channel stereo, Firestick and TV on Digital Surround.
3. I dint know how well Taga and BIC would sound as compared to Yamaha and Polk. I am not disappointed with my choice. The build quality, finish, sound quality is great. I am loving it.
4. I am really happy with Denon x1600h and hope to use it to its potential in the future (adding Dolby atoms speakers)

Tip:
1. Try and get demo of the product you choose. If possible compare it with other brands. You can feel the difference only if they are played alongside. So ensure you visit a place, where they can demo multiple brands / products under one roof.
2. There is no end to comparison. One is always better than the other and there are unlimited choices. You will need to decide what best suits you, one that comes in your budget, read through forums for complaints etc.. and most importantly listen to your gut feel.
3. Do not try to fit in all components at one go If your budget is limited. For e.g. Go for a good Amp which is relatively new (2019 or 2020 model) and speakers. Once you get a hang of the technicalities, you will have better clarity as to what other components you may need.
4. Understand the practical difficulties in the placement of speakers. For e.g. in my home, i cannot have front firing speakers placed on wall and nor on the TV stand. so i got towers instead.
5. Understand your needs for expansion in the future.. Get an amp that would suit your future needs and not the current budget. For e.g. see if you will use dolby atoms speakers, multi-room connections, Airplay, multiple subs etc. These considerations are important for you to decide on Amp and budget.

Sorry for keeping this long. I hope i have covered everything. Do reach out if you need any specific info. I hope you enjoy the process (purchase and setup) and all the best.

Hi,

I love the setup i have currently and love has just started slowly growing in me... I have not fully utilised the amp to its potential. I just have a 5.1 and i have placed the Sub where i have room and did not perform subwoofer crawl to identify the best position. Having said that, i love the setup and am quite happy with it.

Following are points that i dint expect:
1. Being new to HT, i thought HT would blow me away as soon as i just set it up.. In fact, I couldn’t sleep the 1st day as it sounded so bad that my 15k speakers sounded much better.
2. I dint know that setting up HT is a science. It requires patience and one needs to do some bit of learning to even set it up.
3. Like a cricket bat, you need to season your HT and it slowly grows in you. Never expect to hear the soft thud from the middle of a New Bat.
4. From bass heavy speakers i had, getting used to hearing neutral tones was difficult.. Sound reproduction / clarity / quality of output is tremendous. But it takes time for the ears to appreciate it.
5. HT is only as good as the setup.. Placement of speakers and Sub, Wiring, Seating position, soundproofing and configuration of settings etc. plays a tremendous role determining the effectiveness of the setup. I have placed it in my hall where there is no sound proofing.. And since my home is closer the road, sound from traffic is extremely high.. Effect of speakers is lost a bit due to this. As a result even a lesser spec HT would sound better if these aspects are implemented well.

What i love:
1. I have started appreciating audio quality / clarity over bass. The Sub if set right would only function where it is supposed to and will remain calm and quite otherwise. There is no unnecessary thump or bass.. The audio quality is sublime.
2. I can setup different settings for audio from different sources such as Airplay (HEOS), Firestick, TV etc. I don’t necessarily have to change settings for e.g. my audio plays in Multi-channel stereo, Firestick and TV on Digital Surround.
3. I dint know how well Taga and BIC would sound as compared to Yamaha and Polk. I am not disappointed with my choice. The build quality, finish, sound quality is great. I am loving it.
4. I am really happy with Denon x1600h and hope to use it to its potential in the future (adding Dolby atoms speakers)

Tip:
1. Try and get demo of the product you choose. If possible compare it with other brands. You can feel the difference only if they are played alongside. So ensure you visit a place, where they can demo multiple brands / products under one roof.
2. There is no end to comparison. One is always better than the other and there are unlimited choices. You will need to decide what best suits you, one that comes in your budget, read through forums for complaints etc.. and most importantly listen to your gut feel.
3. Do not try to fit in all components at one go If your budget is limited. For e.g. Go for a good Amp which is relatively new (2019 or 2020 model) and speakers. Once you get a hang of the technicalities, you will have better clarity as to what other components you may need.
4. Understand the practical difficulties in the placement of speakers. For e.g. in my home, i cannot have front firing speakers placed on wall and nor on the TV stand. so i got towers instead.
5. Understand your needs for expansion in the future.. Get an amp that would suit your future needs and not the current budget. For e.g. see if you will use dolby atoms speakers, multi-room connections, Airplay, multiple subs etc. These considerations are important for you to decide on Amp and budget.

Sorry for keeping this long. I hope i have covered everything. Do reach out if you need any specific info. I hope you enjoy the process (purchase and setup) and all the best.
Hi Vikash,

Thank you for such a detailed and informative response! Thanks a ton.

It does indeed put this process in the right perspective.

I'm currently in the midst of researching & understanding the intricacies of all this.

I will definately reach out for more advice.

Thanks a ton !

Hi all, Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

During my initial days of setting up my denon, i spent considerable amount of time researching as to what parameters / configuration would be ideal for setup for my TV / Movies and Music. However, i felt the process was difficult and cumbersome as i had to change settings every time i found a new suggestion or article On how to setup. After a few days of tinkering with setup, i have been listening to the following setup for the past few months. My setup at home comprises of 42” LG TV, 2 floor standing towers, 2 Front heights, 1 Center and 1 Sub. The speakers being Taga Harmony SE and BIC Venturi Sub.

Following are the screen grabs of my Denon setup (sorry to keep this long). I know i could have just typed in the settings, but i thought it would be nice to have all the screen grabs so that i do not miss out on any key aspect. It would be great if you can let me know if i should modify anything that would enhance the sound quality. Not that it is not great now, but i would certainly want to improve if there is a possibility.

Some issues that i am facing:
a. Airtel xtream volume is low - decrease in volume by a significant margin. what i could hear at -30 on Firestick / Tatasky needs to be at -20 or -15 on Airtel xstream
b. Enabling dolby on Airtel xtream - plays audio only on front towers. Center and front heights are completely muted. The volume is extremely high though (on par with Firestick / Tatasky). Disabling dolby on Airtel xtream fixed this. Now i have set DD Surr - playing on all speakers.
c. I feel i am missing that immersive audio (both for movies / music). The quality of audio is great. However, i feel there is something missing. Could be due to the placement of speakers, but nevertheless, i want to be sure that it has nothing to do with settings.

Here are the screen grabs of the settings:

1. Home Screen - while on Airtel xtream

298F01A1-D02A-461D-9E13-E998262E9A22.jpeg

11A3F466-5D08-48FD-B2B7-37CEFBAF543C.jpeg

2. Center - Voice clarity and clarity of dialogues is amazing for music, movies, tv
31DFDC2D-F47C-4906-94E4-D295E1CBCAD4.jpeg

3. Subwoofer level - i have not done a sub crawl. THe sub is closer to the front towers. Can’t do much on placement due to space constraints.
00C8526F-A07C-4041-BBEC-C4354DDCCEB0.jpeg

4. Surround Parameters - enabling Cinema EQ seems to reduce volume for some reason. Hence not enabled.
EFAD8CE4-7C6E-413B-A859-8CB812F8AAEE.jpeg

5. Restorer
DE21016C-BB46-4FEA-9FF8-FD33EBEB7F47.jpeg

6. Audio delay lip sync - on
05AEE64F-B9FF-4485-92AF-3EC025225EB7.jpeg

7. Volume - i like the - to + scale and i have set the power on volume at -35 which is comfortable to hear on startup.
23084B49-7038-404F-BC79-CAD9AFC2F422.jpeg

8. Audessey setting - there is big difference if i turn off dynamic EQ. Volume levels get extremely low and significant reduction in quality. Turning it on seems to set it right. I did not find major difference in MultEQ XT - Refefence / Bypass LR etc.
17AB37DF-7D64-4843-B06C-2C994D7508FC.jpeg

9. Inputs - Source Level - THis i set as suggested by the dealer from who i bought this. This made lot of difference during the initial days of setup.
B1C5BFB3-0FD2-4D9A-A016-8C81309E7363.jpeg

10. Speakers - Manual Setup
8AE70348-009F-4D3C-B336-5BE19F1FC045.jpeg

11. Amp Assign - don’t know if changing this would make any difference. I couldnt see any change.
F6A29323-15C3-4433-B3D8-F4B9EDD2EE4A.jpeg

12. Speaker config - changing front to small made world of difference.
9222D42B-9B03-41CE-B5E5-43767F187044.jpeg

13. Distance - Initially when i did Audessey setup, it automatically assigned the distance. when i was reviewing this, i thought since the Front L and R showed different values, i thought audessey did not work properly and made some manual changes. I regret it now. I am unable to run audessey now as i am unable to find a completely calm / silent moment for it to work. These are manually set parameters after measuring by tape.

AE7DCD27-FB1C-46E7-B0BD-37C45D27B0FE.jpeg

14. Crossovers - sticking to rule book 80 Hz for all.
224ED6C6-D41F-47D5-8645-C3FCABAAE5B1.jpeg

15. Bass
1AC2ADA2-AEC8-4892-A738-0BFD3CDE4455.jpeg

16. Video Settings - HDMI Setup - i have not tweaked this at all.
3D5068C7-62FA-47C0-99A6-E5AEAA570913.jpeg

I feel, getting the right placement of speakers / sub and setting up the right parameters would make world of difference to our listening. Request all of your inputs to enhance my setup. Thanks. Again wishing you all a happy New Year. Stay Safe.

Hi all, Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

During my initial days of setting up my denon, i spent considerable amount of time researching as to what parameters / configuration would be ideal for setup for my TV / Movies and Music. However, i felt the process was difficult and cumbersome as i had to change settings every time i found a new suggestion or article On how to setup. After a few days of tinkering with setup, i have been listening to the following setup for the past few months. My setup at home comprises of 42” LG TV, 2 floor standing towers, 2 Front heights, 1 Center and 1 Sub. The speakers being Taga Harmony SE and BIC Venturi Sub.

Following are the screen grabs of my Denon setup (sorry to keep this long). I know i could have just typed in the settings, but i thought it would be nice to have all the screen grabs so that i do not miss out on any key aspect. It would be great if you can let me know if i should modify anything that would enhance the sound quality. Not that it is not great now, but i would certainly want to improve if there is a possibility.

Some issues that i am facing:
a. Airtel xtream volume is low - decrease in volume by a significant margin. what i could hear at -30 on Firestick / Tatasky needs to be at -20 or -15 on Airtel xstream
b. Enabling dolby on Airtel xtream - plays audio only on front towers. Center and front heights are completely muted. The volume is extremely high though (on par with Firestick / Tatasky). Disabling dolby on Airtel xtream fixed this. Now i have set DD Surr - playing on all speakers.
c. I feel i am missing that immersive audio (both for movies / music). The quality of audio is great. However, i feel there is something missing. Could be due to the placement of speakers, but nevertheless, i want to be sure that it has nothing to do with settings.

Here are the screen grabs of the settings:

1. Home Screen - while on Airtel xtream

View attachment 53547

View attachment 53548

2. Center - Voice clarity and clarity of dialogues is amazing for music, movies, tv
View attachment 53549

3. Subwoofer level - i have not done a sub crawl. THe sub is closer to the front towers. Can’t do much on placement due to space constraints.
View attachment 53550

4. Surround Parameters - enabling Cinema EQ seems to reduce volume for some reason. Hence not enabled.
View attachment 53551

5. Restorer
View attachment 53552

6. Audio delay lip sync - on
View attachment 53553

7. Volume - i like the - to + scale and i have set the power on volume at -35 which is comfortable to hear on startup.
View attachment 53554

8. Audessey setting - there is big difference if i turn off dynamic EQ. Volume levels get extremely low and significant reduction in quality. Turning it on seems to set it right. I did not find major difference in MultEQ XT - Refefence / Bypass LR etc.
View attachment 53555

9. Inputs - Source Level - THis i set as suggested by the dealer from who i bought this. This made lot of difference during the initial days of setup.
View attachment 53556

10. Speakers - Manual Setup
View attachment 53557

11. Amp Assign - don’t know if changing this would make any difference. I couldnt see any change.
View attachment 53558

12. Speaker config - changing front to small made world of difference.
View attachment 53559

13. Distance - Initially when i did Audessey setup, it automatically assigned the distance. when i was reviewing this, i thought since the Front L and R showed different values, i thought audessey did not work properly and made some manual changes. I regret it now. I am unable to run audessey now as i am unable to find a completely calm / silent moment for it to work. These are manually set parameters after measuring by tape.

View attachment 53560

14. Crossovers - sticking to rule book 80 Hz for all.
View attachment 53561

15. Bass
View attachment 53562

16. Video Settings - HDMI Setup - i have not tweaked this at all.
View attachment 53563

I feel, getting the right placement of speakers / sub and setting up the right parameters would make world of difference to our listening. Request all of your inputs to enhance my setup. Thanks. Again wishing you all a happy New Year. Stay Safe.

Well you got most of the settings fine....Keep Dynamic Volume on Low.

Source if low then please go ahead and increase the same to 10 or even 12.

In terms of Audyssey setup, levels are done conservatively and hence you can try to increase each speaker by +1db and try.....

If possible, run audyssey again, you may need to possibly do this even at 12 midnight or 1am to get it right.

I use a Marantz SR6010 and after audyssey settings, I changed the option of MultiEq from "REFERENCE" to FLAT and it really brings out the best frequencies in the speakers I use and even output. Based on the specs of my speakers, I have carefully tweaked source levels and even increased speaker levels for all by 2db after audyssey setup. I have retained these settings and added the same for every upgrade I have done for AVRs.

All the best!

Well you got most of the settings fine....Keep Dynamic Volume on Low.

Source if low then please go ahead and increase the same to 10 or even 12.

In terms of Audyssey setup, levels are done conservatively and hence you can try to increase each speaker by +1db and try.....

If possible, run audyssey again, you may need to possibly do this even at 12 midnight or 1am to get it right.

I use a Marantz SR6010 and after audyssey settings, I changed the option of MultiEq from "REFERENCE" to FLAT and it really brings out the best frequencies in the speakers I use and even output. Based on the specs of my speakers, I have carefully tweaked source levels and even increased speaker levels for all by 2db after audyssey setup. I have retained these settings and added the same for every upgrade I have done for AVRs.

All the best!
Thank you. Will try out the settings. i Will run the audessey first and try and tweak the levels.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back