HTIB Vs Gradual HT Build

rav11stars

Guys,

HTIBs like Onkyo HTS-3400, Denon1312xp are somewhat cheap when compared to the costly setups that are built (atleast that's what I learnt reading the posts here).

If the requirements are watching movies on my LED TV and listening to music what would you recommend?

The recommendation should be so that I can upgrade the setup at a later stage if required.

Personally I liked the floor standing tall speakers for their looks instead of the wall-mounted ones.

I've taken the liberty of just talking out my requirements freely as I know I'm in the company of experts.

Thanks,
Ravi

Its about what is your preference. A casual movie watcher, in small room, looking for 5.1 surround experience with budget constraint then HTiB is good enough. Music is almost useless in this.

But there will be almost no room for gradual upgradation.

Would like to know your room size, budget and media content.

whatever be it.
go for build step by step.separates wins...always..
start with 25k avr....and 15k bookshelf pair and centre...
leter add astonia sub 12k...
and sonodyen rear dipoles...while strong in budget..

and as you said u like tall speakers....so you will need little powerful avr to play them...
now it depends on ur room size whether bs or fs

whatever be it.
go for build step by step.separates wins...always..
start with 25k avr....and 15k bookshelf pair and centre...
leter add astonia sub 12k...
and sonodyen rear dipoles...while strong in budget..

and as you said u like tall speakers....so you will need little powerful avr to play them...
now it depends on ur room size whether bs or fs

Thanks Guys,

The room would be around 15"X11"; like prosenjit said the gradual build sounds tempting.
I'd mainly use it for music (mp3s), watching the routine movies on STB. I also intend to buy a TT and listen to my old LPs.

As of now my I can spend around 25-30k. Probably after around 1 year I can think of another investment :eek:

Thanks,
Ravi

Within this budget, it'll be a bit tough for getting a good AVR and book shelves to start with. Stretch it lil more and go for a new AVR and used bookshelves.

Later, You can add sub, "center & FS" respectively.....

Siva

Thank you. What will be the budget for the AVR and the bookshelves you've mentioned. This is a lifetime investment and I'll try to reach the budget.

Thanks,
Ravi

With a budget of 25-30k & a preference for music u should not be considering a avr + speakers but rather a good amp + speakers... During the recent pune meet the combo of Norge 2060+pioneer 41bs bookshelves was liked very much... This combo would cost u somewhere in the region of 20-22k... Similarly there are many other good options in this price range... A amp+speaker combo will do far more justice to ur budget than a avr+speaker will ever do... Something to consider...

Thanks Guys,

The room would be around 15"X11"; like prosenjit said the gradual build sounds tempting.
I'd mainly use it for music (mp3s), watching the routine movies on STB. I also intend to buy a TT and listen to my old LPs.

As of now my I can spend around 25-30k. Probably after around 1 year I can think of another investment :eek:

Thanks,
Ravi

No worries Buddy....I would suggest you this, but up to you to decide

If you don't need HDMI (or) 3D, you can get an used receiver for 10K from this forum very easily + bookshelves (15K)....With this you can enjoy your MP3 content.... as well as any stereo source material...

As & when you have budget upgrade one by one.....

This way over few years u will have a very good quality system that can entertain you for long time......

I second Rajadeep's suggestion since you have mentioned LPs, MP3s, etc .
A stereo amp like the Norge 2060 along with bookshelf speakers will be good. But to use this set up you need to have a media player/ blu ray player that can do a good job of downconversion of multi channel to 2 channel. The PS3 and the Panasonic BDT 220 do a very good job of this. If the downconversion is good, you will not miss the center channel speaker- 2 channels will be decent.

I second Rajadeep's suggestion since you have mentioned LPs, MP3s, etc .
A stereo amp like the Norge 2060 along with bookshelf speakers will be good. But to use this set up you need to have a media player/ blu ray player that can do a good job of downconversion of multi channel to 2 channel. The PS3 and the Panasonic BDT 220 do a very good job of this. If the downconversion is good, you will not miss the center channel speaker- 2 channels will be decent.

Wow, I'm excited. I've just searched for Norge 2060 reviews;an Indian brand that bowled over so many audiophiles!!
Correct me if I'm wrong. I think I should not be expecting to have an equipment on which I can enjoy both music and movies?

This setup you've suggested is for enjoying quality music? Isn't it?

Last edited:
I've just seen the Norge 2060 on web. Any good speakers to go with it? Also what inputs can I provide?

I can see AUX in. Do I need to purchase separate cables?

You can use speakers from 4 ohms as well. Norge makes 4 ohms speakers to go with th amp. I use Monitor Audio M2. There are 3 RCA inputs which you can use for cdps, DVDs, ps3 component, etc

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back