Recommendations for an upgrade from HTIB

Another noob question. Sorry!

The only speakers I've ever owned came with connecting wires. If I buy standalone bookshelf speakers, will I need to purchase them (or banana plugs etc.) separately?

Yes, thank you. I'm looking at them as well, but nothing I need seems to be available in Delhi/NCR. Can I assume that getting speakers shipped won't affect their quality in any way?

They are relatively less bulky speakers and they have the original boxes as well so nothing would likely happen. I too was skeptical when i first got a speaker set non-locally but it came well packed and without any issues.
Another noob question. Sorry!

The only speakers I've ever owned came with connecting wires. If I buy standalone bookshelf speakers, will I need to purchase them (or banana plugs etc.) separately?

The connecting wires you use currently go to the positive & negative terminals behind the speakers i guess , right ? The same wires can be used for the newer speakers as well , but since you mentioned you have them wired into the wall you may need to purchase new ones. You would just need to spend about 900 rupees for a 100 metre spool (amazon basics 16 awg wire) for new wires. Banana plugs are not needed, you can wire them inside the respective terminals as you are unlikely to move the speakers from one room to another.

Hi Tanay,

Your current room layout looks beautiful :)

Due to your budget constraints and since you are already having Onkyo satellite speakers I feel you can postpone the purchase fo rears and atmos. You can use your 4 satellites as 2 rear and 2 towards atmos height speakers ( which would be better than upfiring atmos).

This will let you focus on the AVR, LCR and the sub for time being. I would suggest the below
i) Denon x2600h/ X2500h based on availability. If you can allocate more budget than SR5013 is a good choice as if you ever feel the need to get a PA/Dedicated IA it will come in handy
ii) For the front LR I would recommend for going for a QAcoustic Concept 20 bookshelf (around 38k) as floorstanders will dig into your budget ( 3050i will be about 60k). You can also alternatively go for a 3020i( around 21k).
iii) For center you can go for the Qacoustics Concept Center (27k) or 3090i(18k)

Since you already have a HTIB , I am not sure if Taga 606 will feel like a major upgrade. I had a Polk TL1600Htib before and moving to a Qacoustics based setup felt like a major upgrade.

On the subwoofer side too I would recommend to upgrade once you have the neccesary budget, you will need a budget of 30-45k for a decent subwoofer. Some options at that price range would be Yamaha NSW300 , Polk HTS-12, Bic America PL200-ii , you can also keep an eye on the used subwoofer for sale and get a SVS PB1000 between 40-45k
So I've been doing a lot of research, and have begun to consider the possibility of spending on a Q Acoustics setup.
- Denon X2500H
- 3020i front speakers
- 3090ci centre speakers
- 3060s subwoofer (8', which should be enough for my 15x10 room?)
- retain Onkyo HTIB satellite speakers as rear surrounds and height speakers for Atmos for now (use another pair for 3020i for rear surrounds and a pair of either on-wall or in-ceiling speakers for Atmos whenever I can afford it)

This would be a HUGE stretch for me, and I may not even be able to go through with this in the end (in one go, or otherwise), but does this setup make sense?

The only reason I am even allowing myself to think in this direction is because I don't want this upgrade to feel incremental coming from an 8-year old Onkyo HTIB, and once I complete this setup, I wouldn't want to spend anything on it for the next 7-8 years.

Yup, a good decision. Budget wise i believe the overall stretch on 5.0 would be about 10k more than the Taga system (34k vs 45/46k) including surrounds if you buy the QAcoustics 3020i used.

For the subwoofer the 3060s is not rated very highly one, at a similar budget you can go for BIC America PL-200ii/Polk HTS-12 or the Yamaha - NSW300 which is cheaper than the above mentioned subs

Yes, thank you. I'm looking at them as well, but nothing I need seems to be available in Delhi/NCR. Can I assume that getting speakers shipped won't affect their quality in any way?
Hi,

I am selling taga 806 front and center, yamaha v673 avr and jama 5.0 speaker set. Let me know if you are interested in anything. My location is gurgaon.

Btw, if are getting used item non-locally, then getting it shipped in original box will be fine, also, use a reputed courier like delhivery or fedex. I got my atmos, fronts, center and avr this way.

Yup, a good decision. Budget wise i believe the overall stretch on 5.0 would be about 10k more than the Taga system (34k vs 45/46k) including surrounds if you buy the QAcoustics 3020i used.

For the subwoofer the 3060s is not rated very highly one, at a similar budget you can go for BIC America PL-200ii/Polk HTS-12 or the Yamaha - NSW300 which is cheaper than the above mentioned subs
Yeah, I'd be willing to buy used. The 3020i as well as any of the subwoofers. Are these subwoofers 8' as well?

Yeah, I'd be willing to buy used. The 3020i as well as any of the subwoofers. Are these subwoofers 8' as well?
The Polk & BIC are 12 inch driver subs, the Yamaha is a 10 inch driver sub. You will need the same to experience and feel the low frequencies in the movies.
I have a 8 inch sub which goes down to 35hz and when i watch movies using this setup i feel the sub is turned off vs while using a 12 inch ported sub.

P.S : the 3020i would he 70% height and depth wise of a 8 inch sub :p (image for your reference)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201013-123025_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201013-123025_Gallery.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

For my 15x10 room, I'm assuming that an 8' or 10' sub will be adequate? Don't want to go for a 12' unless necessary. Needs to ideally fit in the space between the two shelves. (Pics above).

For my 15x10 room, I'm assuming that an 8' or 10' sub will be adequate? Don't want to go for a 12' unless necessary. Needs to ideally fit in the space between the two shelves. (Pics above).

The driver size will just determine how low the sub goes (you can see the frequency response details in the specs ) , the lower the better for movies regardless of the room size. I have an exactly similar room size and use a 12 inch sub there and personally dont find it to be an overkill.

So the Denon X2500H is available for around 47.5k whereas the Denon X3500H is for 71.8k. The dealer may or may not reduce these prices further. Are these prices reasonable? I had budgeted 40-50k for the receiver, but am reading that the 3500 is a significant upgrade over the 2500, mainly because it has the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (as opposed to the regular Audyssey MultEQ XT). Is that (and other features like pre-outs, which I'm unlikely to use) worth gutting my budget and spending an extra 24k for?

To recap, my room size is 15x10 and usage will be almost 100% movies, TV shows and sports on OTT platforms and I'm upgrading from an 8-year old Onkyo HTIB (HT-3400).

So the Denon X2500H is available for around 47.5k whereas the Denon X3500H is for 71.8k. The dealer may or may not reduce these prices further. Are these prices reasonable? I had budgeted 40-50k for the receiver, but am reading that the 3500 is a significant upgrade over the 2500, mainly because it has the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (as opposed to the regular Audyssey MultEQ XT). Is that (and other features like pre-outs, which I'm unlikely to use) worth gutting my budget and spending an extra 24k for?

To recap, my room size is 15x10 and usage will be almost 100% movies, TV shows and sports on OTT platforms and I'm upgrading from an 8-year old Onkyo HTIB (HT-3400).
6015 is available for around ~87k with some dealer in hyderabad. In case, you know someone there, check it out

6015 is available for around ~87k with some dealer in hyderabad. In case, you know someone there, check it out
Thanks man, but that would be too expensive for me. I'm struggling to come to grips with paying around 72k for the X3500H as it is. Just wanted to understand if it's worth a 24k premium over the X2500H.

Thanks man, but that would be too expensive for me. I'm struggling to come to grips with paying around 72k for the X3500H as it is. Just wanted to understand if it's worth a 24k premium over the X2500H.

Yes Tanay , it is worth the extra dough as it gives you following benefits
i) Its comes with MultiEQ XT32 for calibration which does a much better job than the MutliEQ XT
ii) Can go for a 5.1.4 setup , since you got the Polk S15 you can use all your 4 current satellites as height speakers for atmos without spending any further
iii) The 3020i are not really power hungry , so the question of poweramps might not come in right away. But in future say you want to setup a dedicated music setup , you can connect a IA/Power amp directly to the preouts to bypass the AVR circuit which arguably does better for stereo listening.

In your case point i and ii would justify the premium for the X3500H over the X2500H , point iii would be more of a future benefit if you ever decide to upgrade to a floorstander or more power hungry bookshelfs.

Yes Tanay , it is worth the extra dough as it gives you following benefits
i) Its comes with MultiEQ XT32 for calibration which does a much better job than the MutliEQ XT
ii) Can go for a 5.1.4 setup , since you got the Polk S15 you can use all your 4 current satellites as height speakers for atmos without spending any further
iii) The 3020i are not really power hungry , so the question of poweramps might not come in right away. But in future say you want to setup a dedicated music setup , you can connect a IA/Power amp directly to the preouts to bypass the AVR circuit which arguably does better for stereo listening.

In your case point i and ii would justify the premium for the X3500H over the X2500H , point iii would be more of a future benefit if you ever decide to upgrade to a floorstander or more power hungry bookshelfs.
Thanks again, brother. Just one thing though- you say that the X3500 supports 5.1.4, but I've read it's a 7.2 system. Are you referring to the X3600H by any chance?

P.S: I haven't got the Polks yet. Still in the market for (used) surrounds.

Hi Tanay,

Oops my bad , yes the 3500h seem to be 7.2 which is quiet a bummer. The 3600h would be again another additional 15k atleast.

Hi Tanay,

Oops my bad , yes the 3500h seem to be 7.2 which is quiet a bummer. The 3600h would be again another additional 15k atleast.
Yeah, I've checked with dealers and no one has the 3600. I'm pretty sure I won't need a dedicated music setup (just not into music), so it pretty much boils down to the Audyssey version. Worth the extra 24k?

Guys, your quick opinion on a subwoofer please.

Polk HTS-12 (400W)@34k vs. Klipsch R100SW (300W)@31k.

Yeah, I've checked with dealers and no one has the 3600. I'm pretty sure I won't need a dedicated music setup (just not into music), so it pretty much boils down to the Audyssey version. Worth the extra 24k?
Better amplification
Guys, your quick opinion on a subwoofer please.

Polk HTS-12 (400W)@34k vs. Klipsch R100SW (300W)@31k.
Polk hts 12 for 34k, where?

Is the Q Acoustics QB12 worth spending an extra 4k over the Polk HTS-12 for? I'm guessing yes, especially since all my speakers will be QA?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back