HTPC around 30k .. torn between AMD vs INTEL

theironhorse

hi all,

been long time i posted anything. have been reading regularly and loads of offline Audio Meets back in HYD...

Also not being into gaming and pc stuff since long as other hobbies are taking off time left after job :(

so here is the query...

planning to build HTPC for a very close friend.. also a FM..

Usage : 1080p BD, BD rips and Music...

it will be replacing his AC ryan as analog audio out is worse on media players to be connected to an amp directly.. we plan to connect ODac so only USB input as an option which makes getting a PC..

Only BD's

No gaming.
No editing.

just pure movies and audio.

Budget : nothing restricted but plan to wrap is around 30k.. lower the better...

Choices :

confused here as most of the load for video will be taken by the GPU..
not sure whether to go with core i3 and a dedicated GPU else
AMD APU a4/a6 with a decent mobo will do the job...

Cabinet : no issue of size as few close friends which are also FM's suggested Antec /cooler master.. looking for them..

it should be capable of HDMI 1.4 , able to bit stream DTH-HD , DOLBY etc via HDMI for movies..

for stereo.. PC (foobar : with wasapi )> Odac > Amp > speakers..
for movies.. PC ( HDMI : audio+ video ) > AVR > speakers..

please pour in suggestion... which one will be best bang of buck in that budget

please provide cpu+ mobo combo's as this needs to be wrapped up in a week.

regards,

theironhorse

I am also planning to build one for me.
It should be able to Stream 3D HD Video and HD Audio from the HDMI.

I am planning to use Linux as OS with XBMC. I have finalized below:

Motherboard : intel H77 Chipset based eg. Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H
Processor : Not decided yet. Please suggest.
Cabinet : LIAN LI PC-V351B (~6K). Did not find any other nice looking horizontal cases (Silvertec/Antec/CM) in India.
Graphics card : NVidia GT440 / GT 630 (I came to know Nvidia has better support for driver in Linux for HDMI HD audio and Video through HDMI.
PSU : Corsair CX 500 or 430
HDD : will use existing old 500 GB
RAM : 2 x 2GB
Remote : I already got one from ebay.com

HTPC Experts! Please advice if any modification is required in above list.

Last edited:
I am using A6 APU and Asus F1A75 motherboard for my htpc. Also added a GT520 for 3D blu-ray disks as the onboard hdmi is not 3d ready. It works great. I can play full blu-ray isos and 3d blu-ray disks without any problem. You can consider A8 or A10 APUs, A4 and A6 are older models. Go for a motherboard with USB3.0, it is really useful for data copying. Also add a blu-ray writer for occasional bds. 30K is a very good budget for a great htpc. If you want a remote control receiver, I have a FLIRC lying unused. I can't use it as it causes problems with my Sony 3d tv IR signals when 3d is turned on. This works without any problems with bluetooth based 3d tvs. I haven't tried the latest firmware to check if the problem has been solved or not. You can use any remote control with this small dongle to control media applications.

I am using A6 APU and Asus F1A75 motherboard for my htpc. Also added a GT520 for 3D blu-ray disks as the onboard hdmi is not 3d ready. It works great. I can play full blu-ray isos and 3d blu-ray disks without any problem. You can consider A8 or A10 APUs, A4 and A6 are older models. Go for a motherboard with USB3.0, it is really useful for data copying. Also add a blu-ray writer for occasional bds. 30K is a very good budget for a great htpc. If you want a remote control receiver, I have a FLIRC lying unused. I can't use it as it causes problems with my Sony 3d tv IR signals when 3d is turned on. This works without any problems with bluetooth based 3d tvs. I haven't tried the latest firmware to check if the problem has been solved or not. You can use any remote control with this small dongle to control media applications.

does the onboard HDMI stream HD audio without any issues..

coz if i go a8/a10 way then the HTPC will be using inhouse graphics from the APU..

Yes, onboard gpu will bitstream hd audio. I'm actually using the amd hdmi for audio to avr and nVidia hdmi for display to TV. Also check if A8 or A10 supports 3D, if so you can avoid additional graphics card.

I am using A6 APU and Asus F1A75 motherboard for my htpc. Also added a GT520 for 3D blu-ray disks as the onboard hdmi is not 3d ready. It works great. I can play full blu-ray isos and 3d blu-ray disks without any problem.

This is indeed good to hear, I used to have an impression that mini itx boards that have PCIe 16x slot running in 4x mode only may have problems running separate GPUs, but now it eliminates my concern, thanks.

Yes, onboard gpu will bitstream hd audio. I'm actually using the amd hdmi for audio to avr and nVidia hdmi for display to TV. Also check if A8 or A10 supports 3D, if so you can avoid additional graphics card.

3d is not much of a requirement if its there its good... if not then no issue.

however incase i go AMD way then i am not picking up a dedicated graphics card as a8 onboard graphics is sufficient for 1080p as far as i have heard..

also why using a nvidia card on amd apu... you should use a 6 series ati card and run it in crossfire..

onboard and dedicated both will work together.. just enable dual graphics in bios with ati card. 6 series or higher

i am trying to build a pc which will specifically do 1080p and also stream audio through HDMI..

rest odac with usb.. no other use...

what mobo do u suggest to go with AMD A8..

ram will be 4 GB as wil run 32bit.. (later can be upgraded )

cabinet most probably will be cooler master elite series..

running just one 120mm fan.. ( need to be silent as much as poosible ) but not at the cost of performance..

suggest MOBO to go with A8..

Last edited:
As you pointed out, the amd apu is enough to run full blu-ray disks with hd audio bitstreaming, I have tested it on my A6. The nVidia card is a used item which I got at a cheaper price. One advantage of two gpus is that you don't need to power on the avr every time you want to do some basic work in the pc. If you don't need 3d blu-ray support then no need to go for additional gpu.

I am fairly ignorant about the new motherboards for A8. I think you need boards based on F2 chipset.

bump.. folks any more recommendations..

suggestions for MOBO to go with A8 APU..

cabinet - cooler master
proc - AMD A8
ram - 4GB DDR3
optical drive - None
HDD- 1 TB

psu - suggestions..
mobo- suggestions..

If it's AMD then A8 6600K paired with M-ATX board of either Gigabyte/Asus's FM2 based 75/85 chipset will do the job perfectly and if budget limitation is not there ,then go for 85 chipset as they are full blown chipset.
Pair it with DDR3 ram of 2133 speed which you will only get in 2x4 GB kit providing fantastic performance.

Components:
CPU/APU - A8 6600K ( 8K Rs )
Mobo - Asus F2A85-M-LE / F2A85-M ( 6.5K / 7.3K Rs )
RAM - Gskill 2X4 GB 2133Mhz Kit ( ~6K Rs )
PSU - Corsair 430 CX ( 2.5K Rs )
Cabinet - Your Choice
HDD - Your choice ( 120 Gb SSD for S/W's + 2 Tb or storage HDD's )

Hope this help's.

If it's AMD then A8 6600K paired with M-ATX board of either Gigabyte/Asus's FM2 based 75/85 chipset will do the job perfectly and if budget limitation is not there ,then go for 85 chipset as they are full blown chipset.
Pair it with DDR3 ram of 2133 speed which you will only get in 2x4 GB kit providing fantastic performance.

Components:
CPU/APU - A8 6600K ( 8K Rs )
Mobo - Asus F2A85-M-LE / F2A85-M ( 6.5K / 7.3K Rs )
RAM - Gskill 2X4 GB 2133Mhz Kit ( ~6K Rs )
PSU - Corsair 430 CX ( 2.5K Rs )
Cabinet - Your Choice
HDD - Your choice ( 120 Gb SSD for S/W's + 2 Tb or storage HDD's )

Hope this help's.

these prices sound decent for a good mobo.. i can definitely look for a 7k-8k mobo..

as

cabinet 3k + HDD + 6k +psu 2.5k + ram 3k ( will look for gskill )+ mobo 7.5k + cpu + 8k .. makes it 30k.. which can be done..

i will go ahead to check these components..

Last edited:

Last edited:
The motherboard you have selected is Micro-ATX and cabinet is Mini-ITX. This motherboard will not fit in this cabinet. Right ?

flipkart states ::

Key Features of ASUS F2A85-M-LE Motherboard

AMD A85X FCH
2 Memory Slots
Dual Channel DIMM Memory
Maximum 32 GB DDR3
Mini-ATX Form Factor
FM2 Socket Type
1 HDMI Port

Essentials

Form Factor

Mini-ATX

Socket Type

FM2

going by flip kart details i selected cabinet for Mini - ATX however the Cabinet says Mini ITX...

can anyone suggest if this cabinet will work for what cabinets to look for this board...

however if this setup wont suffice for 1080p then i will look for a diffrent combo..

cabinet size is not an issue... if there can be any other mobo to match the CPU .. big/small which will be cost effective with good performance.. i am open to suggestions...please provide your inputs..

Last edited:
going by flip kart details i selected cabinet for Mini - ATX

Your board is mATX Form Factor
9.6 inch x 9.2 inch ( 24.4 cm x 23.4 cm )

F2A85-M LE - Motherboards - ASUS

And the cabinet is mini-ITX suitable for 6.7" x 6.7" motherboard

pcmusician3_l.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, these all will work.

A suggestion, if possible, please select cabinet with bottom placement of PSU.

Edit: You don't like Cooler Master 361 ?

i am happy with that too... somehow missed that one...

now coming back to the basic query.. will this configuration suffice 1080p playback flawlessly and bit stream HD audio - DTS -HD , DTS .. etc..

will this configuration suffice 1080p playback flawlessly and bit stream HD audio - DTS -HD , DTS .. etc..

Well, that's our mindset to buy good hardware.

I am playing all those contents with Intel G2010, Gigabyte B-75 motherboard, 4GB RAM and HD6450 graphics card.

Now when I got an AMD E-350N with 4GB RAM for my NAS, just for the trial, I installed windows 7 and XBMC on it and tried to play 40GB BR-ISOs with DTS-HD-MA and Dolby True-HD on it. Initially it didn't play fine but after getting the latest driver (with required DOTNET 4), it played flawlessly.

Now I think I spent money on the above configuration. :D

these prices sound decent for a good mobo.. i can definitely look for a 7k-8k mobo..

as

cabinet 3k + HDD + 6k +psu 2.5k + ram 3k ( will look for gskill )+ mobo 7.5k + cpu + 8k .. makes it 30k.. which can be done..

i will go ahead to check these components..

Go with Richand based APU's which start with " 6 " over trinity based APU's " 5 ".
Pair them with high speed RAM's and not 1600Mhz ones as APU's performance increases with higher speed.Don't buy corsair's vengence as it's heat spreader will be problematic for the case/APU cooler.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back