HTPC Build

Hi Guys

I tried to fix up my old laptop by changing its HDD.

Now its shutting down after every 10 mins due to overheating.

Now im thinking ill just buy a HTPC instead of a new laptop.

USAGE:

Mostly play FLAC files into a DAC using foobar or MM.

Watch movies and TV shows, not v high quality stuff, mostly downloaded from the net.

Download stuff using torrents.

Browse the net.

Share files over the net into other laptops in my home.

Budget: 15K, 20k max

Stuff i already have:

1. TV which i will be using as a monitor.

2. stereo amp, speakers and DAC.

3. 500 GB WD scropio HDD(one day old laptop Hard Disk).

Please let me know a good config which i can buy online. If some knows good dealers in Nehru Place india it would be very help full.

I will be using Windows 7, VLC, Foobar and MM.

Basic Requirements:

1. USB 3.0
2. Digital out for music except for usb.

I have never assembled a pc before so any help would be nice.

Thanks.

adding to above

Cooler Master Elite case ...... 3500
Corsair VS450 PSU ...4000
GPU in case you plan to go full HD with HD Audio bitstreaming :: GT440 ......4500

Plus instead of MSI Mobo I would strongly recommend ASUS F2A85-M-LE Motherboard, sure its expensive ...... ...... around 6500, but far better than MSI, ASUS mobos just rock, I have been using them for like more then 12-13 years (all my 3 PCs have ASUS boards) with mind blowing performance ........ this one has AMD Radeon HD 7000 inbuilt GPU, More USB 2 and SATA controllers plus an HDMI which justifies the price plus ASUS anyhow always give premium boards.

What else is left ...???

If you have never assembled a PC, then better you get it done via NP itself, they gonna charge 200 and will get you PC assembled in 20 minutes. If you wanna do it yourself then make sure you have someone sitting right beside you while you assemble.
Guiding it from here on forums is and always will be risky

If possible consider Intel. I had my experiences with AMD and let me tell you it was not very sweet. I've owned 6 different PCs (4 desktops and 2 laptops) over the period of last 10 years. Among them 2 were AMDs (bought these just to save some quick bucks) and I had to pay the price by throwing them away.

I believe in Intel solutions. You can take a look at the following combination:
G2020: 3.3K
DZ75ML-45K: 4.5K
2GB Nvidia/ATI card (DDR3): 3-4K
DVD Burner: 1-1.2K
RAM: 2K
Cabinet: 1-1.5K (any moderate cabinet)

No fancy cooler needed. Supplied SMPS with cabinet will work well. No need to go for additional PSU.

If possible consider Intel. I had my experiences with AMD and let me tell you it was not very sweet. I've owned 6 different PCs (4 desktops and 2 laptops) over the period of last 10 years. Among them 2 were AMDs (bought these just to save some quick bucks) and I had to pay the price by throwing them away.
While i am not questioning your intel config, throwing brickbat on AMD is not fair.

Of all the component inside a PC, processor will the be the last thing to have any kind of quality issue. doesn't matter if it is AMD or Intel. price/perf is known upfront.
Usually it is the dimm/gfx/MB that give up first. PSU might also. any of this component could actually have caused issue in your case.

While i am not questioning your intel config, throwing brickbat on AMD is not fair.

Of all the component inside a PC, processor will the be the last thing to have any kind of quality issue. doesn't matter if it is AMD or Intel. price/perf is known upfront.
Usually it is the dimm/gfx/MB that give up first. PSU might also. any of this component could actually have caused issue in your case.

No offense mate.
But when I saw my hard earned money got wasted on a solution that does not last long, I had to raise my voice. My friend, I've tried the same PSU/RAM/GPU combo with Different Intel and AMD combos. Intel runs smoothly always.

I'd like to say that AMD is just worthless (IMO only) and would not buy AMD again.

Anyway, its personal preference always.

BTW... my above post was just to share my experience I had over years and I DON'T HAVE ANY ALLIANCE WITH ANY OF THE CPU MANUFACTURERS.

Last edited:
Plus instead of MSI Mobo I would strongly recommend ASUS F2A85-M-LE Motherboard, sure its expensive ...... ...... around 6500, but far better than MSI, ASUS mobos just rock,

Don't know about Asus but I've had MSI fail a lot. Now I don't buy/recommend anything other than Intel for the mobo too. Running 3 rigs on Intel processor and Intel mobo and have not even had a BSOD or any problem in like 2 years. And the machines are on 24/7 for weeks without a reboot and run multiple threads (like 100+) 24/7 (running work related s/w).

No offense mate.
But when I saw my hard earned money got wasted on a solution that does not last long, I had to raise my voice. My friend, I've tried the same PSU/RAM/GPU combo with Different Intel and AMD combos. Intel runs smoothly always.

I'd like to say that AMD is just worthless (IMO only) and would not buy AMD again.

Anyway, its personal preference always.

BTW... my above post was just to share my experience I had over years and I DON'T HAVE ANY ALLIANCE WITH ANY OF THE CPU MANUFACTURERS.

Agree 100%... or maybe like you I had a bad experience with AMD. Intel quad core beat the AMD 6 core silly in terms of speed/response, boot up time, etc. On top the AMD ran hot like hell and would constantly freeze, BSOD or turn off. Again it was not limited to just AMD... I had a very bad experience with an ATI GPU... and I've been an avid gamer for years and using NVIDIA GPUs for years without any issues... the first ATI GPU gave me enough headaches to stay away from the AMD brand altogether.

I am Intel guy as well when it comes to Processor, (using intel from the days of Pentium 1 - 1995 till date with Core i7 2600K) but not so for Mobo, Intel mobo gave lot of problems when coupled with HD3000 graphics to play 3D content. ASUS on the other hand is been as I said rock solid.

Coming to GPU, initially I was also an nvidia person from nvidia Riva TNT2 (1997) till I guess nivdia GeForce 8800GT in 2007 (. Then I gave a try to ATI as ATI gpus were souring high with their better performances with lesser price in comparision ) so by the end of 2009 (sep) I bought HD5850, and never looked back, yes I added another 5850 in 2011 to make it CF, its one card that has stayed with me the longest and still plays all current gen games with ease. Latest one I am playing is Splinter Cell:: Black List on full 1080p with all settings to max.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back