HTS for HDTV

trenthartnick

i just got a HDTV LG LV 3730..
and i want to add a Home Theatre system to it.

i am presently stuck up with a problem..

1> LG has an option called Simplink where i can control other devices with just 1 remote..
so does this mean i need to get a LG home theatre for the LG tv.. or any HTS should work fine with it..

2> Which 5.1 system is the gonna be a good choice for 25k Rs budget..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rk

Don't give importance to silly features like sync. Onkyo 3400 is superior to lg HT. It comes with 4 HDMI inputs so that you can connect your future devices. With LG, you will end up with just one optical or coaxial - that too if you are lucky. For single remote you can buy any universal remote like logitech harmony.

ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

I concur with baijuxaviour. Sync is really a very tertiary feature at best. The home theater is 50% video and 50% sound. The Onkyo system will be twice as better than any LG / Samsung / Sony.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

Onkyo 3400 has no dvd or bdp player. So you will need to buy dvd or blu-ray player. If you watch only downloaded movies then a hd media player like asus oplay mini is recommended. Buying a dvd player is not future proof.

STB Connection:

STB HDMI Out > One of the HDMI IN of AVR (Usually marked as Sat/Cbl).
HDMI out of AVR > HDMI IN of TV.

Which HD STB are you using? Only a few STBs support 5.1 over HDMI. So to get 5.1 you will also need to connect the optical or coaxial out from your STB to the AVR.

One input from my side, if your TV has 3 HDMI inputs then connecting the other HDMI devices with your TV will save you the hasstle of requiring to connect your HDMI devices to AVR and hence requiring to always keep your AVR kept always on powered standby to pass the audio / video when you only want to watch some program over your TV. This is because the Onkyo 3400 has HDMI 1.4 which have audio return channel (ARC) and hence if your TV plays video from another direct HDMI input on TV the sound can be sent back to the AVR for playback via the same HDMI that is meant to send the AV signal from AVR to TV.

Thanks haisaikat..

My next question was going to be " if i have to keep onkyo always on"

=======================

My Connections As of Now..

STB ... HDMI in... AVR ( Sat/Cbl)
PS3...HDMI in.. AVR
HD player HDMI in .. AVR

AVR .. HDMI out .. HDTV..
STB ... RGB... HDTV . (STB doesnt have 2 hdmi out)

This should work ??

There is no need for STB ... RGB... HDTV.

You don't need to keep the AVR on every time. You can enable HDMI passthrough and keep the AVR in standby mode. If you want to keep the avr completely off, then connect the STB directly to TV . Use ARC or connect optical out from your TV or STB to AVR for audio when you want the AVR in the action.

Since his TV has higher number of HDMI ins he can utiolize them to do passthrough of audio via ARC to his AVR. That way he can save keeping the AVR on standby all the time. Also to change inputs he will need to change them via AVR. Typically normal STB watching, accessing pictures on HD player / PS3 he may not always need AVR support so in my suggestion he can consider that as per his requirements. My HD STB is only connected to TV directly since my TV can access pictures on network directly. Hence all other devices are connected to AVR.

I really love the Support you guys provide..
Experience Speaks...

Ok.. i just spoke to my Cable guy ..
Checked out the Config of my Tv too..

My option now...

PS3...HDMI in.. AVR
HD player HDMI in .. AVR

AVR .. HDMI out .. goes to the HDMI (ARC) of HDTV..
STB ... HDMI > HDTV..

now when i watch regular channels on STB.. i can keep the AVR off..

but when i want to watch some movie on STB .. with AVR.. will the ARC work.. from HDMI 1 ?? or do i connect the optical audio out from TV to AVR ....

Also i really dont understand the HDMI pass through concept..

but when i want to watch some movie on STB .. with AVR.. will the ARC work.. from HDMI 1 ?? or do i connect the optical audio out from TV to AVR ....

Also i really dont understand the HDMI pass through concept..

Your connection is perfect. For ARC to work, check whether your TV supports ARC and which HDMI port has ARC. If ARC is available then connect the HDMI cable from AVR OUT to the ARC enabled HDMI IN of TV.

When HDMI passthrough is enabled in your AVR, the AVR will passthrough or send the video and audio signals to the TV when AVR is in standby. This means sound will be heard from the TV speaker and not from the AVR speakers.

ok..
i just checked out Modern world, onkyo 3400 is for 30k ..
along with free installation but no cable..

Onkyo blue ray player BD308 for 10k..
Sony for 9k..
Philips 8k..

The pricing seems quite high for me..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back