Huge surrounds for a small room !! can't live with them for long though....

45 degree would be too much ... currently they are tilted by around 15 degree to vertical.
Any way they are not directly pointing towards the listener in sitting position ... they are 1.5ft above the ear level ...

An exciter based speaker can be made very very slim, ideal for surrounds.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-daex25-sound-exciter-pair--300-375

A foam core board can be used as the 'diaphragm'. It can be covered with printed cloth to look just like a painting. Great WAF. A small woofer can be used to assist the exciter with a simple first order crossover. The woofer can be really small since
a) Its so close to the wall, the wall will lift the higher bass.
b) Surround channels dont have bass so we can get away with a very small woofer.
A FAST surround speaker using exciter

Last edited:

A foam core board can be used as the 'diaphragm'. It can be covered with printed cloth to look just like a painting. Great WAF. A small woofer can be used to assist the exciter with a simple first order crossover. The woofer can be really small since
b) Surround channels dont have bass so we can get away with a very small woofer.
this is something im totally unaware of !!!!
the concept looks pretty cool .... looks like this has to be definitely tried !!!
thanks a lot for sharing !!:D:D

There was a 4 channel tube amp made by Leslie, running EL84 in PP mode making 15 watts per channel. Perfect for these to make wonderful sound...... with a nice HT receiver.
will this amp work with regular AVR? looks like pre-outs are necessary in this case ... if i understand correctly ....

I just mentioned it looking at your effort for making a surround sound setup using the high dB Ahuja FRs. If run with tube power, it will be unbeatable.

Its a vintage power tube amp made by Leslie company. Has to be imported from US. But its quite nice. Perfect for HT to work with a surround sound receiver. Two of these will complete the HT needs. Great OPTs.
ooh ... go it ... !! i will check that tube amp :)
Eventually, I may use these 12" FR drivers to build OB later on. May be with a bass driver on each side....
For HT purpose .... I have to build compact surrounds & atmos speakers sooner or later.
I have to remove these huge drivers from my walls for sure .... :D:D

this is only for a few months .... I am curious to see how it sound in HT too ...
and the only reason to make it look nice with red color is to make sure my family is less irritated.
Huge piece of wood hanging on the wall, without any paint will surely make the room ugly. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:

Looks like This is something I have to really look into.....they look pretty interesting !!!

Well....I just quickly saw some scenes in Mad max Fury road, Spectre & Avatar.
Damn ....these are crazily loud !!!! And they are overkill for my room. :D:D:D:D

Unless I reduce the surrounds volume, they are too dominating. As a whole..... hugely satisfied. :D:D
Some scenes in Spectre almost sounded like atmos. (Ofcourse it's an illusion)

As expected they are filling the room space like a breeze.

Coming to refinement, my whole setup is sounding a bit raw and punchy instead of sounding refined. May not be enjoyable for long time at moderate high volumes. Increasing the volume further is not that pleasant. Its becoming a bit shouty. That's expected, as my room is not treated, and my speaker setup is neither well designed nor finetuned.

Buy hey.....my whole setup right now is 5.0 with Ahuja. Fronts are like towers, while the Center and Surrounds are like OBs. And all these are being driven to high volumes easily with my entry level AVR :D:D

Last edited:
PA drivers are at times shouty with solid state. With tubes they transform to a different level.
One more investment !!o_Oo_Oo_O:D:D
How ever...thanks a lot for helping me with baffle dimensions and many other suggestions !!! I'm quite happy with the overall setup !!!

Just to update....I'm using DX12F200 in my fronts. And SK12FRX as center and surrounds.

Careful observation shows that SK12FRX is a little more clear in terms of resolution, compared to DX12F200. Difference is not huge, but highs are sounding little more clear in SK12FRX.

So one more reason to add a compression driver to my fronts. I'm sure it's going to sound awesome and powerfull. :D

Sk12frx has lot more potential than just doing a surround duty i feel. It is under utilized in my setup. Its an overkill for my small room. But its fun to use it !!!;)

I'm unable to perceive any negative effects of keeping the baffle very close to the wall. May be my observation is not enough to judge. That's one less thing to worry :p

To comment on the overall setup. Its more powerful than what I need, but that extra power is not as refined as we expect.. Its giving a shouty feel at high volumes. For bigger rooms, may be it will balance. So as long as I don't raise the volume too much it's a great setup @ that budget.

However right now i used an entry level AVR only. My second avr Yamaha Rxv681, has Ypao calibration. So it would improve performance further. Il check it later on.

The shouty feel of FRX will tone down with a better amp, as yogibear suggested a tube amp will make them shine. I am also in the same process, making a class A amp and will have a tube pre for adding tube signature sound.

The shouty feel of FRX will tone down with a better amp, as yogibear suggested a tube amp will make them shine. I am also in the same process, making a class A amp and will have a tube pre for adding tube signature sound.
Why is that?

I didn't have experience on tube amps till now. I had a short listening session, but not long enough to understand how different it sounds. In future i may try them too.....

Well.....For now, i just reduced the treble in my Avr. Now it sounds better than earlier.

But I'm curious to know.... If we build some speakers, and if they sound shouty....what different tricks we can try to tame them....basically in design phase or testing and finetuning phase.....

In my case.....By any chance....not having enough space between the baffle and the rear wall adds to shouty feel ??? I don't know...and I can't test it easily too....

Why is that?
I feel being a high sensitivity driver these are very transparent to the devices in the signal path. Hence they shine with high quality amps and the tubes will make them sweeter due to the inherent warmth.

I didn't have experience on tube amps till now. I had a short listening session, but not long enough to understand how different it sounds. In future i may try them too.....

Well.....For now, i just reduced the treble in my Avr. Now it sounds better than earlier.

But I'm curious to know.... If we build some speakers, and if they sound shouty....what different tricks we can try to tame them....basically in design phase or testing and finetuning phase.....

In my case.....By any chance....not having enough space between the baffle and the rear wall adds to shouty feel ??? I don't know...and I can't test it easily too....
the 'shoutyness' is due to the drivers response itself in most cases. You need to add a crossover to roll those shouty parts of the spectrum, now it gets complicated. If you use foobars 'Graphic equalizer' addon(not the regular equalizer) you will get lot of bands to play with and you will know where the shouty ness occcurs. Then we will think, it would be nice if I can make a crossover with few components which could mimick this eq. I would give up immediately if the driver needs different roll off - 3db for some bands , 6 for some other, 12 for some other to sound right. Its complicated for my brain to digest in most cases. Without a crossover , we always think that we had found another hidden gem driver, but in reality most drivers resolve decently without a crossover. Now if you manage to get rid of the shoutyness, then you may loose some resolution. Resolving in freq domain mostly has to do only with not letting one frequency not masking another - or one freq louder than the other. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/mask.html. Another problem can be, that some of the weaknessness of your driver (like slow to respond with lower frequencies) would have been masked in this shoutyness, unleashing it you would, get a bloated sounding speaker.

the 'shoutyness' is due to the drivers response itself in most cases. You need to add a crossover to roll those shouty parts of the spectrum, now it gets complicated. If you use foobars 'Graphic equalizer' addon(not the regular equalizer) you will get lot of bands to play with and you will know where the shouty ness occcurs. Then we will think, it would be nice if I can make a crossover with few components which could mimick this eq. I would give up immediately if the driver needs different roll off - 3db for some bands , 6 for some other, 12 for some other to sound right. Its complicated for my brain to digest in most cases. Without a crossover , we always think that we had found another hidden gem driver, but in reality most drivers resolve decently without a crossover. Now if you manage to get rid of the shoutyness, then you may loose some resolution. Resolving in freq domain mostly has to do only with not letting one frequency not masking another - or one freq louder than the other. http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Sound/mask.html. Another problem can be, that some of the weaknessness of your driver (like slow to respond with lower frequencies) would have been masked in this shoutyness, unleashing it you would, get a bloated sounding speaker.
Thanks a lot for the inputs..il try the foober eq and see if I can understand. But as I said, since i reduced the treble a little, now its more comfortable. Il stay out of adding crossover etc to these surrounds, since i won't be using them for long. I may remove those drivers and build an OB.

But I'm building a pair of 8" and 5" BS. Il make sure I get a leniar graph as far as possible....but your inputs will help there too... :)

Hey Guys... Some of us might have already fedup listening Ahuja stuff :D:D

But just to see how they perform....I made surrounds with 12" Ahuja full range.

But when I mount them....they look too huge on my small wall. Just finished mounting them. Yet to check how they perform.

I'm sure my wife will go crazy when she comes from office :(
You are crazy... 12" at surrounds... People will be dead hearing huge surrounds :oops::p

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back