Humming Noise Issue from my Deck

It could be ground loop Hum. Try google and see if any of those remedies help you.

Chances of ground loop hum is less as I am getting the hum sound even when I am hearing through my headphones directly from the Deck using its own built in amp.
Ground loop hum occurs when 2 or more devices are connected.Correct me if I am wrong.

Jay,

Sorry for being extremely out of context but why are you pairing a TT of SL1200 MkII level with Yamaha Amp and a basic speaker like NS8390?
You should like to upgrade them sooner to get the best out of that TT :)

Jay,

Sorry for being extremely out of context but why are you pairing a TT of SL1200 MkII level with Yamaha Amp and a basic speaker like NS8390?
You should like to upgrade them sooner to get the best out of that TT :)

No problem Koushik.
I am pretty happy with my 496 Integrated Amp.Also in different foras fellow colleagues also suggested me not to change the amp as according to them its one of the best integrated amp by Yamaha in that range.

Speakers yes I didn't change for long.

By the way what do you suggest?

I am actually too worried with this hum sound from my deck.

Hi Jay,

From all the above posts, see that there seems to be an earthing issue...why don't you change the RC cables and check? It could be that dry solder has come off in certain areas of the deck and hence needs to be re soldered....go to a technician and he will resolve the same within 200 bucks....

Hope this helps.

I don't know actually. Never heard a Yamaha Amp, so don't know which speaker will pair well with it.

First you try to solve the Hum issue and we can take on this later in a different thread.

BTW where do you stay? Kolkata, by any chance?

Yamaha Amps are very good,hardy products and I am very happy with their output.

I stay at Kasba.Yes gave the deck to mechanic to check ,

Hi Jay,

From all the above posts, see that there seems to be an earthing issue...why don't you change the RC cables and check? It could be that dry solder has come off in certain areas of the deck and hence needs to be re soldered....go to a technician and he will resolve the same within 200 bucks....

Hope this helps.

Hi,
RC Cables that I am using are all new ones and is working perfectly with my other deck.
I have given it to a Technician today.

you said the noise comes when you touch the keys.
Are the keys metal or plastic? Does this hum happen even if your amp input is set to some other input other than the deck?
Does the noise happen when you just touch the keys, or if you engage play/fwd/rewind etc, or just for play alone?

if it comes when you just touch the keys/deck, its an earthing issue. If it comes if you turn on any of the motor functions, then your Main caps need to be replaced. If its just during play, then the preamp decoupling capacitors might be the problem

you said the noise comes when you touch the keys.
Are the keys metal or plastic? Does this hum happen even if your amp input is set to some other input other than the deck?
Does the noise happen when you just touch the keys, or if you engage play/fwd/rewind etc, or just for play alone?

if it comes when you just touch the keys/deck, its an earthing issue. If it comes if you turn on any of the motor functions, then your Main caps need to be replaced. If its just during play, then the preamp decoupling capacitors might be the problem

The keys are metal.The noise happens the moment the power of the deck is put on but the level of noise is low.As soon as I press any key (play,fwd,rewind)halfway through the noise increases.Its not by touching but pressing gently.

If my Amp input is set to some other input other than the deck the noise is not there.

As soon as I press any key (play,fwd,rewind)halfway through the noise increases.Its not by touching but pressing gently.

If my Amp input is set to some other input other than the deck the noise is not there.

Oh I missed that. I thought the hum is only while playing. Try and solder a capacitor (say 100 uf or more) at the power supply point of the deck motor and see if that solves the issue.

You have to re-cap the deck as it seems like.

Oh I missed that. I thought the hum is only while playing. Try and solder a capacitor (say 100 uf or more) at the power supply point of the deck motor and see if that solves the issue.

You have to re-cap the deck as it seems like.

I have given it to the mechanic who is supposedly doing things.Thank you all for the help and concern.

if your plan was to take it to a tech all along, why bother with the diagnosis?

This was something that would be solved with replacing a few capacitors in my opinion

if your plan was to take it to a tech all along, why bother with the diagnosis?

This was something that would be solved with replacing a few capacitors in my opinion

Greenhorn my plan was not to take it to a Technician but resolve things if I would have understood the cause.As there was no option left I had to take it.The guy said that he has repaired it but after bringing it back home today I find the hum still there though of lesser intensity.

By the way can you guys please help me understand what you mean by Capacitors in a deck?Where are they located and what's their role?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back