hunt for a Turn Table with 78 RPM capability

babhishek

Hi,
As the title suggests, am on the lookout for a TT with 78rpm capabilities ( happy to buy brand new models, if available) for some rare and vintage 1940- 1060's era LP's.

Any help in this regard and pointers to models which might now support multispeeds, are appreciated!

Thanks
Abhishek.

take the vintage route, preferably Garrard. if you are adventurous, take the changer route. nothing can beat a Garrard when it comes to 78 rpm. also equip your tt with the right stylus and cart.

I am also a 78 RPM fan but did not want to spend much money. A friend of mine converted a Philips 242 to a 78 RPM TT and it is working fine. I spent just Rs. 3,000 for that TT itself including the conversion cost.
My other regular TT is also a Philips 242 belt drive and I just love it. It works fine with my Sansui AU 607 and AR 18.

I am restoring a Grundic mono record player just to play 78 RPM. I believe, if you want to listen to 78 RPM, one should go for a dedicated mono record player with mono wiring and mono cartridge and hooked up to a old mono vintage valve radio. That was the way it was meant to be played. I have kept a Siemens amp with a ceramic input and mono switch. It should also sound good for 78 RPM.

78s were manufactured across different periods using varied equalization techniques and speeds, I have written about this in detail on another thread. If you have 78s from the 1950s and 1960s (what little was produced then), you are likely to have decent quality pressings, provided nobody has attempted to play them using steel needles. Trying to re-create vintage sound is great and is highly personal. In my opinion, we Indians are likely to be familiar with low grade vintage sound as there was very little exposure for the "common Indian man" to hi-fi equipment back then. The staple was a little record player and a radio or a gramaphone or a radio gram. When my father visited the UK in the 1960s, he encounted vintage hifi for the first time - huge valve amps and horn speakers. I think we should aim a little higher, I am going to experiment with better quality 78rpm sound when my Garrard's cartridge arrives from Arizona. If you have the older 78s or those already been through steel needles, then there is no point in aiming high. As Mr. Kuruvila suggested, mono carts and a mono set up is the best for 78rpm reproduction but I would like to experiment further. Shall keep every one posted. I have 3 high quality 78s which I plan to use for testing.

I am restoring a Grundic mono record player just to play 78 RPM. I believe, if you want to listen to 78 RPM, one should go for a dedicated mono record player with mono wiring and mono cartridge and hooked up to a old mono vintage valve radio. That was the way it was meant to be played. I have kept a Siemens amp with a ceramic input and mono switch. It should also sound good for 78 RPM.

Jacob Sir,

Having collected considerable mono LPs, im also on the look out for similar system. I have already sourced a 20W vintage tube amp. It gives a bit of hum, which I need to send to Mr.Abdul of Calicut and get it done.

I really want to own a mono tt with mono cartridge. Suggest me some source and how much minimum should I budget. And do you suggest any special/unique speaker for this?

And how do I get a tube pre amp for this?

Thanks in advance.

I think we need to open a separate thread, and discuss in detail.

Hi Abhishek,

Pay a visit to Metro Music Hall in Metro Goli. They stock repaired vintage Turntables. I saw a couple there some time back which had a 78RPM setting.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back