Looking for turntable with 78 rpm speed

tirthankar

Hi All,

I have got a lot of vintage 78 rpm vinyls in my possession, some of which are very rare recordings.

As some of you may have seen, I am looking build myself a new stereo, and I am looking for a turntable which will allow me to play my 78 rpm records.

The only option I have found is the AT LP120 turntable from Audio Technica. Imported from amazon, I have calculated the cost to be around 17-18 k, excluding customs.

Can any one please advise me regarding any other option I may have? I am not comfortable importing something as heavy and delicate as a turn table from so far off.

My budget for the turn table is 20k. I know it is less for some of the fantastic options I may have, but that is what I can spend now.

Thank you for your replies :)

Better to have a separate TT dedicated to playing 78rpm records only. By this you can have a dedicated and calibrated turntable without having to change stylli and recalibrate all the time. Old Garrards are great for the purpose, especially the SP25 series. My suggestion would be to avoid changers.

Try doing a survey in the Free School Street area of your city ........
Thanks for your advice.. will visit that area :)

Better to have a separate TT dedicated to playing 78rpm records only. By this you can have a dedicated and calibrated turntable without having to change stylli and recalibrate all the time. Old Garrards are great for the purpose, especially the SP25 series. My suggestion would be to avoid changers.
Thank you, will keep that in mind. :)

I was wondering, I have an old Philips turntable, the same one mentioned here. It's motor has developed problems and cant maintain the speed. Will it be a good idea to fix it and use it for 78 rpm, and buy a new tt for 33 and 45?

Your inputs please... :)

Thanks for your advice.. will visit that area :)

Thank you, will keep that in mind. :)

I was wondering, I have an old Philips turntable, the same one mentioned here. It's motor has developed problems and cant maintain the speed. Will it be a good idea to fix it and use it for 78 rpm, and buy a new tt for 33 and 45?

Your inputs please... :)

It depends on what is the primary problems with your Philips turntable. In those days, philips used to market turntables, stating that they had "electronic brains" (which was essentially a electronic speed control). This may be faulty or the motor may have gone out. Also, if it is a belt drive (most likely), check the belt as well. From my personal experience, turntables with idler drives are the best for playing 78rpm records. Belts on belt drives running at 78rpm tend to snap or wear off faster :)

My 2 cents!!

Look for some old Dual players with 78 rpm. Get special cartridge by Shure only for 78 rpm and dont use this player for playing 45 and 33 rpm.

Kuruvilajacob

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back