I am looking for two channel music only system for 50K

the_audiophile

OBJECTIVE: I am looking for two channel music only system.
1. Audio preference (Music / Movies) = 100 % / 0%

2. Budget = Rs. 50k to 75k

3. Room Size (Lenght x Breadth x Height = 12Feet L x 10F B x ? H

4. Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = CD and Vinyl

5. Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = None

6. Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = Y

7. Other details /preferences = No AVR only two channel setup for now. I prefer bright music.

8. Other query-1 = needs advice on Good Amp speaker combination for the above price range

9. Other query-2 = needs advice on where in Chennai and who much will it cost

Thanks
The_Audiophile

OBJECTIVE: I am looking for two channel music only system.

Audio preference (Music / Movies) = 100 % / 0%

For the given usage, AVR is a strict no no.

Room Size (Lenght x Breadth x Height = 12Feet L x 10F B x ? H

Unless you are a Bass freak, mini monitors or even bookshelf speakers would suffice.

Source (CD /DVD /Satellite /Other) = CD and Vinyl

Not clear if this also is within the budget or you have separate budget.

Existing components to be integrated with new purchase (Speaker /Amp /Cables /Equaliser /Other) = None

Equaliser may not be necessary but you need to set aside 10% of budget towards I/Cs and at least some decent OFC speaker cables.

Can used AVR be considered (Y/N) = Y

Other details /preferences = No AVR only two channel setup for now. I prefer bright music.

These two statements appear contradictory. Hmm, bright music! Monitor Audio-Marantz combination comes to my mind instantly. You may also look for any other decent speaker with an Aluminum dome tweeter.

Other query-2 = needs advice on where in Chennai and who much will it cost

Our FM Gijogeorge had purchased Marantz CDP sometime back from a dealer in Chennai but that may be higher than the price offered at our forum's hifimart. Check these out:

Amp: Marantz PM5004 Stereo Integrated Amplifier

CDP: http://www.hifivision.com/group-buys-deals/22661-marantz-cd5004-cd-player-17-5k.html

You may get these at lesser rate if bought from Singapore but remember that would be without warranty.

Source :Marantz CD 5004:18k approx

Amp: Marantz pm6003/5004:17k to 22k approx

Speakers: Lot of choices Wharfs 10.2: 22k approx. Better deal in group buy.
You can consider Norge millenium MK2: 13K Approx. To my ears it is as good as wharf 10.2. But poor brand value. So it depends on how much importance you give to brand image.

DNM High end book shelves sound pretty good. Cost 15k.
Again brand image is a problem.

Pulz: Forum member Brajendu has them. Cost 15k. He is very happy. Speak to him.

Bose 301: 17.5k. Good sound poor built quality. ?Good brand image.

Save 8k for good speaker stands. Forum member Magma will help you here.

Alternatively you can go for Nad c515:20k, Nad Bee326 at 28k,PSB Alpha 15.
While the Nad cd player and amp are good, i didnt like the psb alpha or image B6. Nad-psb combo will be bit costly but does not necessarily mean better sound. It just has a different sound signature than the marantz.

If you are open to used gear,there are a lot of good deals going on. 'Soulforged' has a good Nad amp for sale. Doesnt have a remote but he is selling it at a good cost.

Hi Audiophile,

Two major decisions you will have to take is whether to stick to new equipment or to consider used equipment in good cosmetic and functional condition also. The second major decision will be whether to start with a digital or an analogue source.

New equipment comes with a gleaming look and a bill and warranty. Used equipment will have the advantage of being less costly, say 75% to 50% percent of its original cost. Used equipment also holds its value well unlike new equipment which depreciates steeply. You can thus build up a mid level system at entry level prices. Typically, mid level used amplifiers and bookshelf speakers may be available in the Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 25,000 range. You could look at equipment for sale in the "For Sale" section of this forum. You could also contact "Dealers in used equipment" in a thread of that name in the Amplifiers section of this forum.

You should keep in mind the collection of music you have have built up while deciding the source. If you have a large collection of music on digital media go for a suitable digital source. If you have access to reasonably priced vinyl or pre recorded cassettes, you could consider a turntable or a cassette deck.

Of course much depends upon your budget. If Rs. 50,000 is your total budget and you spend upto Rs. 10,000 on a cassette deck or Rs. 20,000 on a record player, you will have Rs. 30,000 left over for the amplifier, speakers and interconnects and cables, to say nothing of speaker stands (if you buy bookshelves). In that case, you could consider Indian systems like Ahuja and Sonodyne, which offer very good value for money.

These are just some stray thoughts you could keep in mind. All the best for your audioquest.

I see that you prefer BRIGHT music... So I would suggest you to auditon KEF Q300 s with Marantz 6003/4. I guess rest of the questions are already answered. SImilarly u can even look for Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 s.. which are also bright... especialy when combined with a Marantz 2ch amp.

Thanks captrajesh. CDP and Turntable I am have seperate budget. for 50K-75K I am looking for good Two channel Amp and Speaker. Another 20k is for a good CDP. Right now I have Marantz 6003/7004 in my mind for Amp.

I saw a review on CDP Emotiva compared with Marantz in this forum. Don't know who is the dealer for Emotiva and what is the price in India.

Unless you are a Bass freak, mini monitors or even bookshelf speakers would suffice.

Equaliser may not be necessary but you need to set aside 10% of budget towards I/Cs and at least some decent OFC speaker cables.

These two statements appear contradictory. Hmm, bright music! Monitor Audio-Marantz combination comes to my mind instantly. You may also look for any other decent speaker with an Aluminum dome tweeter.

Our FM Gijogeorge had purchased Marantz CDP sometime back from a dealer in Chennai but that may be higher than the price offered at our forum's hifimart. Check these out:

CDP: http://www.hifivision.com/group-buys-deals/22661-marantz-cd5004-cd-player-17-5k.html

You may get these at lesser rate if bought from Singapore but remember that would be without warranty.

I see that you prefer BRIGHT music... So I would suggest you to auditon KEF Q300 s with Marantz 6003/4. I guess rest of the questions are already answered. SImilarly u can even look for Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 s.. which are also bright... especialy when combined with a Marantz 2ch amp.

Who is the dealer for Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 and KEF in Chennai? Any idea where I can get best price for a new With bill warranty Marantz amp/CDp in chennai?

Thanks Captrajesh I have seperate budget for Source (20k for CDP). 50 to 75k is only for Amp-Speaker

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back