I have no clue how to start with a budget home theatre setup. Help me masters!

This pioneer one looks good. I will read up on it.
Pioneer HTP-076 - will cost you around 35-42k, few online reviews & demo videos are available on YouTube.

70k is fine by me. Do you have recommendations for this?
If you plan to build - You could look at Denon 1600H / 2600H AVR (48k-55k) + Q Acoustics 3020i / PSB Alpha P3 / Wharfedale D320 (18-25k)

Pioneer HTP-076 - will cost you around 35-42k, few online reviews & demo videos are available on YouTube.

If you plan to build - You could look at Denon 1600H / 2600H AVR (48k-55k) + Q Acoustics 3020i / PSB Alpha P3 / Wharfedale D320 (18-25k)
Thanks a lot. Will definitely look into it

This looks good but there is no mention of atmos in the spec. I am guessing the receiver needs it even though my TV supports it? Can I add the extra 2 speakers that atmos is expected to have to this?
1840 doesn't support atmos. Even if you get the speakers, it won't work.

1840 doesn't support atmos. Even if you get the speakers, it won't work.
Do check Indiqaudio.com HT package solution..

I am bringing this old thread up. So I found 4 systems and did a lot of reading. From my understanding, the Onkyo one is better and supports atmos as well

What are your thoughts? Anyone else using this also please give your feedback
  • Onkyo HT-S3910 - 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System - 42k
  • Pioneer HTP-076 - 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System - 49k
  • Yamaha YHT-3072 - 49k
  • Yamaha YHT-1840 - 33k

So to recollect, I have the new oneplus u1 TV and I want to have a small home theatre setup be done at home. I dont have a dedicated room or anything. The setup would be in the living room of an average sized apartment. I tried a 10k soundbar and was really disappointed as TV was louder than that and since electronic items are usually not returnable, I want to be sure before spending money on this. TV support dolby vision and atmos as you all might know. So I want a system that can utilize this. If it doesnt come with extra speakers for atmos, I hope at least i can buy them later seperately.

My budget was around 30k and if the price difference between the cheapest and the costliest if justifiable, then I dont mind getting the expensive one.

Onkyo and Pioneer models that you have mentioned are almost similar hence onkyo might be better. Pioneer gives 2 year warranty but its out of av business in india so getting support may be an issue. But both these models deliver atmos in 3.1.2 mode meaning you have to compromise on satellite channels.
I would recommend starting with yht 1840 or 3072 and later on upgrade to atmos setup if required. As of now not much content is available in atmos. Prices of all these models that you have listed are 5-6k more than their regular prices.

Onkyo and Pioneer models that you have mentioned are almost similar hence onkyo might be better. Pioneer gives 2 year warranty but its out of av business in india so getting support may be an issue. But both these models deliver atmos in 3.1.2 mode meaning you have to compromise on satellite channels.
I would recommend starting with yht 1840 or 3072 and later on upgrade to atmos setup if required. As of now not much content is available in atmos. Prices of all these models that you have listed are 5-6k more than their regular prices.
That's some good info. Thank you

I got the prices from avstore.in and ooberpad. Are you saying I might get it about 5k cheaper in offline stores? If so do you know any retailers trustworthy?

Secondly, can I upgrade the Yamaha ones to atmos by just getting additional speaker alone later?

Is my assumption that 5.1.2 is how an atmos setup would exist correct?

I got a Philips soundbar for 10k but it didn't do shit! the sound was horrible and clarity was even worse.

This is strange. I’m sure your TV audio settings is not configured properly for your Philips sound bar. PM me if you need help on this.

Hi @aswinrulez,
I suggest you can go slow to start off with. With your budget you can set up something that can sound better than a sound bar and you may need to have some patience and add components one by one.
For AVR you may go the used route for now. One of the FM @avtar2008 may have a Yamaha AVR V673 (You may PM him for the price) up for sale and you can choose either Polk15 or IndiqAudio GoldMishra Bookshelf speakers to start off for front LR. Both can be further re-used as surrounds when you upgrade your front stage at a later stage if required.

The Gold Mishra’s are actually too good to be used as surrounds as they perform very well as front speakers and has an excellent sound signature too. If your listening space is not too big you can even get away without a sub and Center channel for the moment as this one can produce a good amount of low end and has nice mids to it as well. The advantage what I see here if you choose IndiqAudio is, you get to upgrade the speakers in the future to their higher end models in the span 3 years if you like by just paying that extra amount by exchanging this. This is a great VFM according to me.

I think this set up should come within your specified budget to start off and you will be happy with kind of sound it can reproduce. Especially for music, this will be more than sufficient but for movies, may be you can add a sub for that low end grunt when you have time and budget available. Keep a look at the for sale section and someone may sell a sub soon which you may grab it.

If you buy the Polk S15, it can too definitely serve the purpose of being fronts but adding a sub will be a must and at a later stage you can always move it as surrounds.
just my 2 cents!

Regards,
Som

Last edited:
Dont buy another sound bar. You may be disappointed again. Soundbars can never match the performance of a true 5.1 hometheater system. Out of the HTP, I would choose the Onkyo. Just don't go by the price the shops have mentioned on their websiete as they are MRP and you can easily bargain for 5 to 20% discount if you go directly to their shop.

Aswin, you have given a lot of importance to Atmos. Are you aware of the following?

1. To play Atmos, you need two speakers stuck on the ceiling.
2. Alternatively, you can have two up-firing speakers that attempt to reflect the sound off the ceiling.
3. Not many soundbars have Atmos capability. Certainly not the ones under 10K. Even if the electronics are there, the soundbar must have at least two drivers firing upwards.
4. Not many movies have been recorded or coded for Atmos.

All the best.

Aswin, you have given a lot of importance to Atmos. Are you aware of the following?

1. To play Atmos, you need two speakers stuck on the ceiling.
2. Alternatively, you can have two up-firing speakers that attempt to reflect the sound off the ceiling.
3. Not many soundbars have Atmos capability. Certainly not the ones under 10K. Even if the electronics are there, the soundbar must have at least two drivers firing upwards.
4. Not many movies have been recorded or coded for Atmos.

All the best.
I agree that is why I increased the budget to above 30k. Maybe eventually I can add more stuff. Do you think the 3 I listed above are good? If so, can they be upgraded later to support atmos? I know atmost contents are less now but if its an option to be future proof without spending even more, I'd prefer that.
I see you are from Chennai. Can you recommend any seller where I can get it at some discount and is trustworthy?

I called up few dealers and they all said that the Yamaha YHT-3072IN will be in stock only after 15th December.
Rakhi wala, Chennai suggested another setup. He is giving me the below setup for 50k
  • Denon AVR x550BT
  • Denon SYS-2020
What do you all think?

May
Dont buy another sound bar. You may be disappointed again. Soundbars can never match the performance of a true 5.1 hometheater system. Out of the HTP, I would choose the Onkyo. Just don't go by the price the shops have mentioned on their websiete as they are MRP and you can easily bargain for 5 to 20% discount if you go directly to their shop.
May I know why you prefer Onkyo over Yamaha 3072?

I am trying to audition the YHT-3072IN but meanwhile, I am also thinking of some of the things members told me and keeping a back up of custom build.
So I decided I will get the TAGA Harmony TAV-606 SE Speaker Package which comes to about 36k. The reciever models are confusing me. So if someone can help with that, I can keep this as back up incase I dont like the 3072 HTiB. Again, emphasising on 3072 as its under my budget.

I had onkyo hts3200 for many years. While purchasing it, i auditioned many more brands and finalised on onkyo. They were the best in their price range. hence i prefered it.

Not sure if you've seen it - this video might give you some ideas.
Hi @aswinrulez,
I suggest you can go slow to start off with. With your budget you can set up something that can sound better than a sound bar and you may need to have some patience and add components one by one.
For AVR you may go the used route for now. One of the FM @avtar2008 may have a Yamaha AVR V673 (You may PM him for the price) up for sale and you can choose either Polk15 or IndiqAudio GoldMishra Bookshelf speakers to start off for front LR. Both can be further re-used as surrounds when you upgrade your front stage at a later stage if required.

The Gold Mishra’s are actually too good to be used as surrounds as they perform very well as front speakers and has an excellent sound signature too. If your listening space is not too big you can even get away without a sub and Center channel for the moment as this one can produce a good amount of low end and has nice mids to it as well. The advantage what I see here if you choose IndiqAudio is, you get to upgrade the speakers in the future to their higher end models in the span 3 years if you like by just paying that extra amount by exchanging this. This is a great VFM according to me.

I think this set up should come within your specified budget to start off and you will be happy with kind of sound it can reproduce. Especially for music, this will be more than sufficient but for movies, may be you can add a sub for that low end grunt when you have time and budget available. Keep a look at the for sale section and someone may sell a sub soon which you may grab it.

If you buy the Polk S15, it can too definitely serve the purpose of being fronts but adding a sub will be a must and at a later stage you can always move it as surrounds.
just my 2 cents!

Regards,
Som
What if I buy Denon AVR-X550BT and TAGA Harmony TAV-606 SE ? or the 3072 receivers and TAGA Harmony TAV-606 SE ? Will the difference be substantial compared to the 3072 HTiB for a living room?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back