I tested - Pioneer 3052 DVD player Vs Teac 1160

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
There are discussion already happened on topic : DVD player vs CD player. But thought of sharing my story as I compared with latest model of DVD player.

Initially I was sceptical to invest high in CD player due to below points (hence I bought cheapest CDP):
1. Not sure of shelf life
2. Was Not sure how much jump in existing quality
3. Was (now as well) in dilemma whether to spend in DAC. DAC+ exiting DVD with Coaxial OR with less pricy CD player+DAC
4. Some forum claimed that lossless files sound as good as CD or LPs. Then can spend with soft media

I have Pioneer 3052 DVD player. Pioneer is good brand and model is latest has 96Khz/24 bit
Recently bought new Teac1160. Quite old, entry level model has 16 bits processing.

I connected players using bandridge thick RCA connects.
Initially I thought the sound is less bright. But since I listened for few days, I have below observations:
1. DVDp sound was sharp and bright. Later I noticed it was over bright.
2. CD player sound was smooth
3. Overall abt 20% improvement in all frequency ranges
4. The great difference is : Overall tonality and naturalness was too good in CDP which formed opinion that investment in CDP is worth. This is wrt very basis CDP. With higher end models, difference must be more great

Two weeks ago I attended Hindustani classical private baithak in a room, without mic. Was noting how Tabla, Harmonium and Tanura would sound in real mode. Same I compared with CDs (or different artists). CDP was more closer to natural mode. Example Tabla (Tabla set has 2 component. bigger one is Dagga and smaller one is Tabla) The tabla with CDP sounded more crisp. The slapping sound fingures on tabla was more crisp on CDP.

Now I have below plan and would happy to received suggestions from expert FM:
1. CDP has coaxial out. So thinking for good DAC <20K. Dacmagin I am thinking. Would lesspricy CDP with 16bit+DAC would be enough to get good SQ or player pickup also need to be of higher level.
2. How much 16bit matter if I am using on as transport?
3. Are there any sources to get CDP on 1 day rent in Hyderabad (kondapur) so That I would listen in my setup and then invest.
4. The player is brand new but unused for many years. Any special usage tips. e.g. once I bought Philips HQ amp. When I opened, found cracks on ceramic components. This player don't have such issue.

You compared a dedicated CDP with a Rs.4000 worth DVD Player and the CDP is the winner. There is nothing unexpected happened here. At least use a Pioneer BDP-170 or 180 for the comparison. Cheapo DVD player even most of the time failed to output decent Spdif signal (they accompanied with various types of noise)

A dedicated CDP will most of the time get an upper-hand as it is especially made for only one purpose. You can ignore the so called 96Khz/24 bit spec for the sake of better power and analog circuit implemented inside the CDP.

Last edited:
I have a Marantz UD7007 which is a Universal Player and a Marantz CD 6005 which is a dedicated cd player . Both are connected to the same amp - PM7001

6005 is comparatively bright . UD 7007 I feel is more balanced. Depending on the cd recording quality I use both . Personally I like UD7007 (costs 80K ) more than CD 6005 ( cost 40K ) .

When I googled (after buying) to compare ... reviews / opinions of people were - UD7007 sound quality is almost as good as CD 6005

What hifi review says that OPPO 105D (Darbee Edition) costing 1.29k in India .. sound quality while playing CD's is comparable to a good quality CD player like 6005 .I have not heard OPPO .

So While comparing you have to see .. price ..and your personal taste ..

A high End Blu Ray Player may sound as good as a dedicated budget CD player . Similarly a High End CD player may sound better than a budget / high end Blu Ray Player

A dedicated CDP will most of the time get an upper-hand as it is especially made for only one purpose. You can ignore the so called 96Khz/24 bit spec for the sake of better power and analog circuit implemented inside the CDP.

Thanks srisaikat
Can Teach CDP + good DAC can delivery good SQ? As I would bypass CDP DAC. OR CD pickup also matter lot?
One dealer told me that sound quality = Transport 30% and DAC 70%. So I will retain existing CD transport

thanks

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back