ideas needed to setup a Home theatre

avi

Hi Friends,

Similar to David's Query, i would also like your suggestions on what would be the appropriate setup within my budget of 1-1.5 lakhs (audio equipment alone). which is a smaller budget and a bigger area

Place: It is my living area with dimensions of 16' x 20', and 10'6" in height, with a sidewall having a stain glass of 8'x10'.

I had initially thought of getting a Jamo Concert Series(c 607) 5.1 speakers setting them up with a Dennon Amp, but then while readin abt online i happened to come across this forum of audiophiles and thought of takin ur suggestion.

Also would a Philips Ambilight 40" be the right Choice of the LCD (they do not have the 46" launched in India)

Thanks,
Avi

Hi Avi,

A Denon receiver with Jamo Concert speakers sounds like a quite reasonable setup, but you do have a lot of choice these days. You could listen to the above setup and compare with other brands, such as MS and MA for speakers. Onkyo has finally caught up with Denon through their 2008 models. Now they are giving more bang for the buck with every comparable model. So check that out too.

I would not bother too much about the Ambilight technology, as that seems to add no value to the picture. During the demos at the showroom it seemed to make the picture look paler. Colors stand out if they are presented with contrasting colors. In this case, for a green picture I had a green background light behind, which appeared to reduce the contrast. Check it out for your self.

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi Friends,

Similar to David's Query, i would also like your suggestions on what would be the appropriate setup within my budget of 1-1.5 lakhs (audio equipment alone). which is a smaller budget and a bigger area

Place: It is my living area with dimensions of 16' x 20', and 10'6" in height, with a sidewall having a stain glass of 8'x10'.

Also would a Philips Ambilight 40" be the right Choice of the LCD (they do not have the 46" launched in India)

Thanks,
Avi

I believe with your size of room, you will have to increase your budget.

The ambilight effects would be more better in some smaller room.

Since your room size is good, how about a projector and screen, this way you can get a screen size of say around 75 inches and much more if needed, instead of the lcd tv 40 inches.

I believe quality wise hitachi and other lcd tv is miles ahead to phililps tv.

Vinay.

Last edited:
Hi sharad,

thanks for ur reply, would definitely check out the ONKYO stuff, do you have any particular model in mind, also pardon me for asking but what do you mean by MS and MA speakers...

Hi vinay,

I thought of the projector too, and also there is a proper space to set it up, but being in the living, the place is also used for normal T.V viewing, moreover during the day, the room is brightly lit up which might not augur well for the projector.

thanks guys...

Ideas to setup a Home theatre.

Hi sharad,

Hi vinay,

I thought of the projector too, and also there is a proper space to set it up, but being in the living, the place is also used for normal T.V viewing, moreover during the day, the room is brightly lit up which might not augur well for the projector.

thanks guys...

About the light, you can use curtains, indeed while watching a movie the room has to be fully dark, otherwise the picture quality on screen will dip. I would suggest that it is better to watch movies in the night via projector, this way there is no queston of sunlight, and then there will be minimum people who will ring bell at the door, so much less interruption while watching the movie, as during the day time the door bell rings much more.

I have 2 screens, with one the room has to be fully dark, while the other screen is a special one, with this screen, what happens is that even with say 25% in-direct light, the picture clarity is good.

Moreover i do not have any sort of sunlight in my dedicated theatre room because i have sealed with cement and brick my sliding windows, this way my mini theatre becomes much more dynamic.

Vinay.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back