iFi or FiiO

Subbu68

My iFi Nano DSD USB DAC from 2016 is acting up now. I use it to connect my laptop / Mac Mini to my system. No Spotify, Tidal etc. Simply the FLAC or ALAC ripped from my CDs or some MP3s purchased in India.

L channel suddenly drops out, pulling out the RCA plug and plugging back restores the channel. Maybe a loose contact. Going to open it and check.

Meanwhile, if it is a component failure, I am thinking of getting a new one. Not looking to spend more than AED 1000 (USD 250) on it.

Spoiled for choice, availability locally in order of increasing prices are

The above can connect only through USB to my PC / Mac Mini. RCA out will go into my Elekit preamp and to the amps (need to make a switch).

AND in FiiO

Both can connect to my CDP through Toslink, Tape deck as well as the computer. Can literally do away with my preamp.

Can K7 with balanced out connect to my ACAs with proper adaptor cable? What is the PO socket on the front of K7.

There are few others like Arylic, SMSL, Topping etc. too on Amazon.ae

Any suggestions from your experience with any of these above? Any tech issues with any of these?

Which are dated models? Got an attractive offer from dealer of M-Audio here for an audiophile DAC in their line-up and a search pointed it to M-Audio's Archives!!

If just want a dac, why are you looking at aio units with headphone amplifier?

If only a neutral dac is the requirement then do look at SONCOZ LA-QXD1, very good neutral dac for its price.

If just want a dac, why are you looking at aio units with headphone amplifier?
These pop up on search on Amazon.ae and within the budget. CA 200M came to my mind but AED 2k. Major audio dealers here in UAE have No-Returns policy and are not in my city Abu Dhabi but in Dubai, Sharjah etc. Amazon have easy returns.

Also look at FiiO BTA30 pro and the recently launched WiiM pro.
BTA30 is not locally launched it seems. WiiM has only their Mini listed. I had read your review of BTA30 and did check out on Amazon.ae

Last edited:
I think iFi ZEN One Signature seems to be a better choice as it has all the inputs along with LDAC bluetooth, and also has that warm burr brown chip sound signature.

I think iFi ZEN One Signature seems to be a better choice as it has all the inputs along with LDAC bluetooth, and also has that warm burr brown chip sound signature.
Though not on my list, looks good and the additional BT is useful to connect the phone but.... another 500 Dirhams more :rolleyes:

Beyond what you would like to pay perhaps but if you can manage it, go for Chord Mojo2, almost impossible to match it in sub $1000 category. Will drive moderately hard to drive headphones very nicely on top of being an amazing DAC.

Beyond what you would like to pay perhaps but if you can manage it, go for Chord Mojo2, almost impossible to match it in sub $1000 category. Will drive moderately hard to drive headphones very nicely on top of being an amazing DAC.
Hi Shibashis,

Had been drooling over it after reading a review. Way beyond my budget. Also could not see a RCA out on it.

My iFi Nano DSD USB DAC from 2016 is acting up now. I use it to connect my laptop / Mac Mini to my system. No Spotify, Tidal etc. Simply the FLAC or ALAC ripped from my CDs or some MP3s purchased in India.

L channel suddenly drops out, pulling out the RCA plug and plugging back restores the channel. Maybe a loose contact. Going to open it and check.

Meanwhile, if it is a component failure, I am thinking of getting a new one. Not looking to spend more than AED 1000 (USD 250) on it.

Spoiled for choice, availability locally in order of increasing prices are

The above can connect only through USB to my PC / Mac Mini. RCA out will go into my Elekit preamp and to the amps (need to make a switch).

AND in FiiO

Both can connect to my CDP through Toslink, Tape deck as well as the computer. Can literally do away with my preamp.

Can K7 with balanced out connect to my ACAs with proper adaptor cable? What is the PO socket on the front of K7.

There are few others like Arylic, SMSL, Topping etc. too on Amazon.ae

Any suggestions from your experience with any of these above? Any tech issues with any of these?

Which are dated models? Got an attractive offer from dealer of M-Audio here for an audiophile DAC in their line-up and a search pointed it to M-Audio's Archives!!
Dear Brother ,You could also take a look at XDUOO XQ-50PRO2 ,a low key device yet built really well. Can work as a DAC,along with streaming in LDAC,has USB, SPDIF & Optical inputs,RCA outputs. Possibility of swapping OP amps( if you're into it). Can be powered using the USB port of the comp itself.
I feel it's a great device for the $80+ asking price.Maybe it's not exactly what you're looking for...but no harm in checking it out once as it's got rave reviews everywhere.
Fiio BTA30PRO on the other hand is a no brainer with the plethora of options provided along with an app (total VFM if you can manage to source it).

Last edited:
Dear Brother ,You could also take a look at XDUOO XQ-50PRO2 ,a low key device yet built really well. Can work as a DAC,along with streaming in LDAC,has USB, SPDIF & Optical inputs,RCA outputs. Possibility of swapping OP amps( if you're into it). Can be powered using the USB port of the comp itself.
I feel it's a great device for the $80+ asking price.Maybe it's not exactly what you're looking for...but no harm in checking it out once as it's got rave reviews everywhere.
Fiio BTA30PRO on the other hand is a no brainer with the plethora of options provided along with an app (total VFM if you can manage to source it).
Hi

I just plugged in XDUOO XQ-50PRO2 into the local Amazon (UAE) and ...

so many brands of XQ-50PRO2!! Seems to be ticking the boxes but Optical and SPDIF are marked OUT in the pics!! USB and BT IN and RCA, digital OUT?

I'm also looking into DIY from Arylic though may cost more than any in my list.

Hi

I just plugged in XDUOO XQ-50PRO2 into the local Amazon (UAE) and ...

so many brands of XQ-50PRO2!! Seems to be ticking the boxes. I am also looking into DIY from Arylic though may cost more than any in my list.
Now that's surprising... However XDUOO is the brand i was referring to. The quality of their internals including the board is top notch.
Not sure why it's marked out,but is fully functional in my unit & as per Xduoo website . Does not have digital out though.

Now that's surprising... However XDUOO is the brand i was referring to. The quality of their internals including the board is top notch.
Checked a few of them and all have www.XDUOO.COM on the rear side.

Some sellers on Amazon.ae seem to be shady with bad reviews. I myself fell prey to one when I ordered a Sangean Worldband Radio - was sold at 98% discount so grabbed it. After a week that seller vanished from the earth. Luckily no money was deducted from my Amazon gift card account. Seems quite a few lost their money (Amazon might have returned)

Some sellers on Amazon.ae seem to be shady with bad reviews. I myself fell prey to one when I ordered a Sangean Worldband Radio - was sold at 98% discount so grabbed it. After a week that seller vanished from the earth. Luckily no money was deducted from my Amazon gift card account. Seems quite a few lost their money (Amazon might have returned)
In that case you can try samma3a.com as they are authorised dealers of Fiio products in UAE. Not sure if they still are though.

Also why not get the ifi checked by a local technician? If it is the loose contact as you mentioned or maybe a broken solder here and there. I have no clue about the availability of technicians around you & how well that would work out. But don't you think it's worth a try ?

Also why not get the ifi checked by a local technician? If it is the loose contact as you mentioned or maybe a broken solder here and there. I have no clue about the availability of technicians around you & how well that would work out. But don't you think it's worth a try ?
Not sure if I can get someone who knows it here in Abu Dhabi. The dealer is in Dubai - some 160kms away. Not sure if they can do something. Almost everything is use and throw these days, isn't it?

I opened it and ran the soldering iron through the RCA's lugs, volume control lugs and a spray of contact cleaner in the RCA sockets. Have to try it out tomorrow.

Inside it is all SMDs except one capacitor and the RCAs for L,R & SPDIF, USB port, a filter switch, HP out and volume control

Not sure if I can get someone who knows it here in Abu Dhabi. The dealer is in Dubai - some 160kms away. Not sure if they can do something. Almost everything is use and throw these days, isn't it?

I opened it and ran the soldering iron through the RCA's lugs, volume control lugs and a spray of contact cleaner in the RCA sockets. Have to try it out tomorrow.

Inside it is all SMDs except one capacitor and the RCAs for L,R & SPDIF, USB port, a filter switch, HP out and volume control
You're right.160 kms one way just to get it checked may not be worth it.Just hoping that it starts working normally now that you have run the soldering iron through( if it was a loose contact), but if it's the smd then farewell is the best way forward.

Surprising results!!!

Mac Mini USB > iFi Nano DSD > HK Nova 2 on my desktop set through the analog IN of the speakers. Could hear a clear crackles in the sound. Unbearable.

Same song Mac Mini Optical > HK Nova 2 OPT IN - very clear sound no distortion whatsoever.

Volume level adjusted to perceivably same level on both connections.

Maybe time to say goodbye to iFi Nano

Last edited:
You're right.160 kms one way just to get it checked may not be worth it.Just hoping that it starts working normally now that you have run the soldering iron through( if it was a loose contact), but if it's the smd then farewell is the best way forward.
iFi played for two hours without any hitch on my main system and connected to my laptop. Hope it's going to be fine.

Last edited:
iFi played for two hours without any hitch on my main system and connected to my laptop. Hope it's going to be fine.
Subbu,That's great. You're really mean( kept me hanging all these days) but seriously You're one Helluva lucky man. Im sure it's gonna be just fine and your companionship saga continues😋.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back