Imp of Dedicated FM tuners

jayantadak

Hi,

Can I know the difference of sound / performance quality between a dedicated Am/Fm tuner and the tuner which we have in AVR's. I do have a Denon AVR in which the tuner is incorported (so as mostly all the AVR's do have it). I do get a good sound. What do I get more when I attach my system with a seperate AM/FM tuner. Is there a vast difference in the SQ.

Which are the recommendable tuners within the range of 4/5 K.

Pl. brief me.

JAYANT

Jayant, you will hardly find a dedicated tuner being made nowadays, unless you are looking at a dedicated service such as Worldspace.

Tuners are part of Receivers - a receiver is primarily a tuner with amplification and other functions built.

FM is quite easy to receive even by a small hand held device such as a mobile phone. At home you can always improve the reception by connecting a proper antenna to the receiver or tuner. Once the signal is locked on, you will not find much difference between two tuners.

Of course, once the signal is received how it is amplified and played will make a large amount of difference in sound quality. But this is not in the realm of the tuner, and more in that of the amplifier and speakers.

Cheers

Hi,

Can I know the difference of sound / performance quality between a dedicated Am/Fm tuner and the tuner which we have in AVR's. I do have a Denon AVR in which the tuner is incorported (so as mostly all the AVR's do have it). I do get a good sound. What do I get more when I attach my system with a seperate AM/FM tuner. Is there a vast difference in the SQ.

Which are the recommendable tuners within the range of 4/5 K.

Pl. brief me.

JAYANT

A dedicated listener is more important than a receiver. :)

I used to listen to S/W radio for upto 4 hours a day in my teens and would tune to channels from all over the world from chinese to russian. And I loved the music I heard - through all the static and noise. I probably spent more time tuning in than actually listening on many days. :)

Cheers

if you have an FM tuner in your receiver, it is a better investment if you get a worldspace IMHO.

regards

The world of FM radio and DAB are a big thing in the west where it has matured over a period of many decades. The dedicated tuners which make a real difference are quite costly. Magnum dynalab for example.
FM Tuners, Triode Tube FM Tuners, Audio Receivers, Integrated Amplifiers and more - Magnum Dynalab
4 to 5k is not going to make much difference unless you DIY. You are better off with the one in the receiver. If you are an ardent listener of the FM radio, you could invest in a stereo receiver like the Nad.
Tuners in AV receivers are pretty pathetic.

FM transmission/sound quality is not that hi-fi to warrant a separate tuner IMO.
If you had something like a CD player, then I can understand.

A dedicated listener is more important than a receiver. :)

I used to listen to S/W radio for upto 4 hours a day in my teens and would tune to channels from all over the world from chinese to russian. And I loved the music I heard - through all the static and noise. I probably spent more time tuning in than actually listening on many days. :)

Cheers

+1 to that. I loved my shortwave radio. That is the way i got to know my international music and what about the wonderful hours of exciting commentary from ABC/BBC. sad to see that shortwave has become a thing of the past for us.

Dedicated tuners will make a huge difference in performance (assuming the tuner itself is good). In 4-5K range, would suggest a used tuner (NAD, Sony, Technics etc).

Some of the old Sony/Yammy tuners are fantastic and would give the current generation of NAD, Onkyo and Denon dedicated tuners a run for their money. Take a close look at the specs, specially the SNR and channel separation.

For information on vintage tuners take a look at Tuner Information Center - Vintage Stereo Tuners

-Saikat.

dedicated tuners for what .. chintu candy advertize?..
FM programs are made for a large crowd ,mainly filmy content ... time pass purposes .
cheap receivers, inbuilt tuners are the best for these ...

may be in FM night after 10 some good ad free audio comes..
ya,i would like to have some Digital PLL radio ..and explore Sort wave radio ..
good old +2 days, i used to listen the quality programs from the BBC ,VOA ... on a chinese 10 band radio!

dedicated tuners for what .. chintu candy advertize?..
FM programs are made for a large crowd ,mainly filmy content ... time pass purposes .
cheap receivers, inbuilt tuners are the best for these ...

may be in FM night after 10 some good ad free audio comes..
ya,i would like to have some Digital PLL radio ..and explore Sort wave radio ..
good old +2 days, i used to listen the quality programs from the BBC ,VOA ... on a chinese 10 band radio!
Exactly. The over-compressed audio, the over exited announcers and the always cool attitude of the local FM stations can get overbearing pretty soon.

SWL on the other hand still retains some charms of the radio.

oh man,,I remember when reception was bad on short wave, I had once connected the tv antenna wire to the radio antenna to boost the reception and range of the radio..

+1 to that. I loved my shortwave radio. That is the way i got to know my international music and what about the wonderful hours of exciting commentary from ABC/BBC. sad to see that shortwave has become a thing of the past for us.

however with the default fm reciever in phone... i do listen few minutes while in cab..

i wonder real audiophiles will ever keep tuners for fm..
i have seen people who dont fit car systems for music ..because car system are not proper audio devices

madj, spiral and dipole,electromagnetic ground plane antennae are used by dxers.. (dedicated radio listeners)..just connecting to big antenna may not always give good reception..proper antenne can be easily made like Flag & pennant -- antenna special on hard-core-dx.com

FM broadcasting is a broadcast technology invented by Edwin Howard Armstrong that uses frequency modulation (FM) to provide high-fidelity sound.Industrial and commercial companies around the world rely on products and services that are FM Approved and specification tested.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back