Import used equipment at your own risk

@Spirovious: to send equipment for repairs abroad, there is a declaration form that can be submitted at the time of exporting it. Get acknowledgement from Customs authorities. Show same paper when the equipment is returned after repairs. This will also help avoid levy of customs, though I think there is some nominal charge payable (but not the full customs duty).

What about NOS (New Old Stock)?

Often we get audio equipment which has been in storage for years and still new (unused). We get some old turntables, amplifiers, cartridges etc. on NOS basis. Will customs treat them as used?

The reason I am asking is that one cannot produce an official bill for NOS item but may be an ebay transaction detail can be produced.

Any insights from FMs on this?

Cheers.

Often we get audio equipment which has been in storage for years and still new (unused). We get some old turntables, amplifiers, cartridges etc. on NOS basis. Will customs treat them as used?

The reason I am asking is that one cannot produce an official bill for NOS item but may be an ebay transaction detail can be produced.

Cheers.
It would be very difficult to convince indian customs that its (NOS)
First they will ask for pakka invoice and second they would do search on the web and come to know its a discontinued product
For them NOS and used would be the same

Difficult to convince the customs about anything...it is best to say that it is new and give an invoice for it which is 30% less than the internet MRP justifying it by saying that you got a great deal

So far the discussion seems to be about importing electronic stuff ordered online or being courierd. Will it be the same if one carries used electronics with them personally back from a foreign country?

If you are stopped, then have a ready invoice on which you are supposed to pay the duty minus the limit if Rs. 45,000 allowed.....it is best to carry an invoice for about 60000-70000 and you can pay duty on approx. 15000-20000 or get away by paying a fixed token amount lesser than the duty...

However if your equipment looks very expensive, then the above does not hold true...

So far the discussion seems to be about importing electronic stuff ordered online or being courierd. Will it be the same if one carries used electronics with them personally back from a foreign country?

If the good carrying personally back from a foreign country were purchased and actually used there by the person then it is fine. If the items were bought for the sole purpose of taking them back in person then the problems can arise. Customs decides this based on common sense (as far as I understand).
e.g-
a person on a few days visit to a country will most probably not buy a blu-ray player and a TV to watch movies there and then carry it back.
However a person who was staying abroad for a few years might have bought even a complete high end audio system during his stay and can easily bring it back to India.

Cheers.

NOS is practically electronic waste in the eyes of government. It may be new in condition and useful to the person who bought it but the moment it goes out it becomes obsolete electronic waste. So in terms of law it also gets treated as used.

A lot however depends on one's luck and mood of the customs people at that time. :)

If the good carrying personally back from a foreign country were purchased and actually used there by the person then it is fine. If the items were bought for the sole purpose of taking them back in person then the problems can arise. Customs decides this based on common sense (as far as I understand).
e.g-
a person on a few days visit to a country will most probably not buy a blu-ray player and a TV to watch movies there and then carry it back.
However a person who was staying abroad for a few years might have bought even a complete high end audio system during his stay and can easily bring it back to India.

it is called a TR ie transfer of residence. for that you should have lived in that country for more than 2 years and have the proof that you are relocating back.
Else tha same rules apply. you can get a special exemption if it is slightly less than 2 years from the customs officer.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back